Ideal 2019 Draft Scenario

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Mar 1, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Once a qb goes before us we are out of the trade market and taking one of the stud pass rushers

JetsKickAss likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Unless a team loves Haskins enough to trade up to our spot. Not saying it'll happen, but the Jags and Redskins are possible trade partners.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That’s possible but not exactly a worse case scenario. I just read a report saying the 49ers are smitten with Bosa. If it’s true that would leave Josh Allen for the Jets. I watched the Citrus Bowl just to see him and he was a monster ......

Remember this is still a rebuilding project. I think the team will be a lot better in 2019 but my gut tells me the front office is shooting for a finished product the following season ....not everything is going to fixed this season . But if the Jets can finally solve their EDGE/ pass rushing hole, begin the OL rebuild, and find a skill player or two I will be very happy .

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. FJF

I think you have me wrong here. I wasn’t saying it as a bad thing. I am saying it as the way it should be. I want Allen first and foremost. I wouldn’t consider a trade down with him on the board

5. FJF

I wouldn’t trade down. If Allen is in the board take him.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't follow the Giants really, but my sense is that they are loathe to trade up, so getting Rosen would enable them to avoid having to do that for a QB. And I also agree that Rosen would be a great fit there, being able to learn behind Eli and maybe even taking over this year. The Giants are a much better team than the Cards, and he'll love the media exposure and endorsements.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. mrjet80

No I understand what you were saying . My reply was meant more for the board itself . If it’s between a trade down and drafting Allen at #3 it’s going to be a hard decision for Mac. On the one hand Allen looks like a potential star and could solve the decade line pass rushing hole. Mac also is pretty reliable with a top pick. On the other hand the Jets do need more than one player and could recoup two maybe three other relatively high picks trading down . However Mac’s history other than the first round so far is below average ..... at this point I say stay put and take Allen.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He needs to nail more 2nd-4th round picks or the team will never go where we want it to go. I'm ok with taking one of the top pass rushers at 3, but am open to moving down if a team makes an offer that's too good to refuse. There are stars to be had outside the top 5 and in the middle rounds IMO. It comes down to player development and finding players who fit the scheme(s) they're trying to run.

9. mrjet80

Yes I feel this can be a very productive draft for the Jets particularly rounds 2 through 4. A lot of very good players at positions of need - OL, RB etc. And there lies the question...stay put at #3 hope a guy like Allen is there and hope he is what we think he is - a dominant player. Or trade down pick up a second rounder and maybe another third and hope Mac makes the right selections .

These next 6-7 weeks are gonna be interesting ...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Is Allen worth another year of not addressing the offense until the mid rounds? I'm having a tough time between signing a FA edge rusher and trading down and addressing the offense or getting a true monster on the edge like Allen.

11. mrjet80

Just because the Jets select Allen doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t be addressing the offense . I can see the Jets getting a head start on the OL in FA ( they’d better ) and still getting a quality OL in the 3rd round. They should also be signing a quality skill player in FA ( not necessarily Bell but possible ) and the draft is loaded with quality RBs and WRs after round one .

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. FJF

1. yes
    2. signing a free agent pass rusher has nothing to do with taking allen at 3.

mrjet80 likes this.
  13. mrjet80

I think the Jets sign a pass rusher in FA - not top tier but a decent one . Then they take Allen at # 3.......there. Pass rush solved .

FJF likes this.
  14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Harry is a first round pick.

I'd take Allen or Bosa unless we trade down the depending how far I'd go OL (guy from Florida) or Metcalf/Harry.

Take Snell/Love at some point too.

15. FJF

And if we swing and misss in free agency. I like Copeland and Jenkins as the other guy to Allen being the guy for our pass rush

16. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm all in on Allen. I'm already done, he's the guy I want. I want him over Bosa if they both somehow fall to the Jets. If Allen goes 1 or 2, I'd like to see Jets move back. As much as the Jets need more picks and more help, the draft is a crap shoot. Having more picks does not equate to more quality players (see Idzik, and Mac to an extent). Allen could instantly be the best player on our defense and take everyone's game to that next level.

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

https://www.footballdiehards.com/newsmain.cfm?newsindex=37964

Apparently the Raiders are shopping Carr as per bleacher report. That could be the ideal scenario for a Jets trade down where they get the player they already wanted at 4 instead of 3 and the Raiders avoid somebody else trading with the Jets to take their guy.

18. mrjet80

Yeah I’m starting to prefer Allen myself. He was a monster in the bowl game I watched . I’m slightly suspicious of Bosa holding himself out for the second part of the college season to “ prepare for the draft “. Is he injury prone ? Is he me first ? Is he slightly over rated ?

19. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Only way you get Love is if we're trading down. I don't see him making it past the 2nd.

20. Im not gonna fault anybody for preferring the edge player at 3..but i cant get the idea out of my head that we take Allen & its the same non impactful pass rush & underachieving defense that weve seen forever.

I think trading down out of 3 for a haul is much more prudent & im taking a potential #1 WR in either Metcalf or Harry then targetting an OT in round 2..either Little or Cajuste. Both project as actual Left tackles as opposed to Jonah Williams(G/RT) or Taylor(RT).

Edge is a massive need in its own right but Copeland/Jenkins/FA will still be respectable & we no longer beat the dead horse of going defense.

This offseason is supposed to be about giving Darnold a surrounding cast. As of right now trading down to 6-7 is the best course to accomplish that & i simply feel better about the WR prospects early than i do the OL ones.