I Hope Last Night Accomplished 1 Thing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by milcus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Last time the Jets aired it out more than usual their QB threw 3 picks in 1 quarter.

Now even though I think that even if we won last night it would've been because Miami didnt show up..the same way the Steelers didnt when we beat them, the philosophy of a strong ground game and a strong defense was enough to beat the Fins.

Yeah we arent going to win a Superbowl with the ground and pound but we would've probably lost 21-3 yesterday if we aired it out the same amount of times as running it.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Balanced attack is the best attack

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I usually ignore your nonsense, but look at that game from the perspective of critiquing the fish coaching. How come they took so long to put 8 and even 9 in the box? Perhaps they were worried about the db's other than Grimes, but come on. When they finally stacked the box, the Jets had no answer. The transition you describe from brilliant to dumb was no transition at all.

Sometimes you have to watch the opponent to see what's going on in the game. Try it sometime.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree. Don't abandon the running game, especially to win it down the stretch in the NE. But you have to have BALANCE. Rex never brought that to the Jets.

5. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

Who did the 49ers play in those AFC title games? I must have missed that......

J/K, I know you meant NFC, or at least I hope you meant NFC......

6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, ground and pound sucks ... unless you're talking about the last two Super Bowl champions.

[​IMG]

7. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Did we not almost get to the Super Bowl twice with this type of offense with a shitty QB? Look at what Seattle's done. They have a QB who is competent, can run, and never fucks up.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with running it down the opponents throat.

There just needs to be the threat to throw to keep the defense honest. We dont have that right now, and havent for 3 or 4 years now. Hopefully Mariota or whoever our next QB is has that ability.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think the powers that be are going to look back at a random 3 point loss in a 2-10 season and decide definitively on philosophies. I'm guessing the game film will pick up dust/bandwidth and be forgotten about possibly by yesterday...

10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Here we go again. Are we now going to look at "ground and pound" with the same revisionist history eye that we're looking at Sanchez?
    What's next, a thread titled "Ground and Pound Kicking Ass in Oakland", or wherever Rex ends up next year?

11. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

....meaning that the low score on Monday night football should have been billed, "The battle of the brain dead coaching staffs/"

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with being a smash-mouth, power-running team. It all comes down to execution and avoiding mistakes. There is nothing wrong with that philosophy in and of itself.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. Voyevoda117

Voyevoda117 Member

While I do agree with the OP to an extent and also with other posters that a well balanced offense attack is the key to success in todays NFL....the funny thing is they damn near won the game with "ground N' pound"

14. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd say it's dead. You should never run the ball that many times as compared to pass, but it's perfectly ok to favor the run, especially even you have a good play action QB or an incompetent one. I've never seen a run-pass ratio like that. I'm pretty sure Rex was trolling Idzik.

To be honest, we probably would have won more games had we run that offense all year, though.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Ground & Pound works BUT you have to have a passing game good enough to punish opposing defenses for stacking the box too much. Ground & Pound with a decent passing game can win championships. Ground & Pound with pathetic passing game & shit QB play accomplishes nothing.

tiger8mush likes this.
  16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

we run the ball all the time as we have consistently had major problems at the QB spot - do you really think they wouldn't throw the ball more if they had some confidence in the QB and passing offense? we run the ball through necessity more than choice.

17. max

max Active Member

So how did ground and pound not work in '09 and '10? Pretty sure we didn't lose against the steelers and colts because we didn't pass the ball enough.

When we lost to the giants in '11 im pretty sure we passed too much (59 throws for sanchez)

I know the rules have changed since then, but in 3 out of 4 of the last games russell wilson has thrown the ball 17, 17 and 22 times. All three of those games were wins.

Ground and pound can work on a game to game basis.

You just need a quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over and can make a throw when he needs to make a throw. You also need a competent defense. (Give the jets a solid corner and with rex's defensive game plans and we have one)

tiger8mush likes this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Of the bold, the latter is far more important than the former.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

They made their adjustments at halftime. This is usually the case. On SNY Chad Cascadden said that when Belichick was the Jets DC he would sometimes tear up the game plan at halftime. Later when the running game went from 8 yards per carry to under 3 after Miami made the obvious adjustment the Jets had no answer. There was an answer but the Jets were unwilling to change a game plan that was going south. As for Rex. He basically won't answer that question. Why only 8 passes in 3 quarters with the running game not working and the Fins giving you the short pass. His only valid explanation of poor field position. Not on every series. He played Martyball and lost.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This would work but Idzik did everything he could to set this team up to fail