How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We usually agree, but this is also nonsense imo. You don't draft players for day 1, so to say that he isn't good enough to compete Day 1, he's not worth it, is just dumb. Some players have a ton of talent, but need some developmental time to work on their fundamentals/technique, learn the offense/defense, adjust to the speed of the NFL game, etc. In addition, in the case of a QB you have to consider the quality (or lack thereof) of your OL so as not to expose him to the same beating that David Carr took. It's even more true when the player is just 21, had only 2 years of starting experience in college, and has only been playing QB for 4-6 years.

You understand nothing about developing players or people learning.

Totally bad, nonsensical post.

2. NCJetsfan

You don't learn fundamentals playing. They take focused, isolated reps apart from worrying about completing a pass, getting sacked, winning the game, etc. You can disagree all you want, but it doesn't make you any more right.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree with everything, except the Hack part.

It's slightly contradictory within your statement. Considering, I honestly don't think he was good enough to be on the field over what we had at any point since he has been here.

Which is why he hasn't seen the field. Which is what you are suggesting for Darnold as well, no?

If he's not good enough to be the guy in practice, he isn't going to be good enough to be the guy on the field.

So for me, I'm happy that this will likely hold true for Darnold as well. If he's not good enough to be out there, he shouldn't be out there. If he is, then he should be our starter week 1, no questions asked.

I think Darnold will the best QB for us after the preseason and I belive thats what we should all hope for in determining how this thing will eventually play out for us as fans.

MeanGreenMachine88 likes this.
  4. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

It all depends what we want from the season. We want the best chance to win? That probably means Darnold in a red shirt. We want to risk with Darnold, but at least he gets some practical experience? I would give him the second half of the season, why not? What have we got to lose? Wentz, Goff, Watson and Prescott started right away didn't they? I know some of them started because of injuries on their teams, but nevertheless, they started basically right away. I know, they played for 3 or 4 years in college while Darnold played 2 but is that really that much of a deal? So I think a fair middle point would be to give him half of the season.

5. NCJetsfan

At this point, it isn't just about gaining experience, but even so, when he does play, you want the experience to be as positive as possible and for Darnold to have a realistic chance to succeed. Darnold is still 20 years old, has only 2 years of starting experience, has only been playing QB for 4-6 years, and has some basic fundamental issues that won't improve if he plays now. You can't fix fundamentals while you're playing in games. Once he fixes those fundamentals, really learns the offense, has had time to adjust to the speed of the NFL, developed some chemistry with his offensive teammates, there will be plenty of time for him to play/start, get experience, and learn the things that playing can teach. The only important thing right now is that Darnold develop into the QB we want him to be. The only way that happens is if he fixes his fundamentals first and isn't rushed onto the field.

Noam likes this.
  6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

The QB situation does depend on the OL quite a bit.

On that point, Mac just went and picked up about half of Auburn's starting OL. Does anyone know how good were the pickups of Golson and James were? Also, does anyone have any insight into how promising (or not) Dakoda Shepley from UBC might be?

7. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

There’s no point arguing with this NC dude he thinks he IS Peyton Manning I don’t know who died and made him the worlds foremost authority on quarterbacks

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Yeah he thinks he's a know it all

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Knowing that they're gonna have to learn the zone-blocking system being implemented, we might not get a real read on the OLine until the last part of the season.

10. NoodleArm

Any chance that they ran a similar scheme at Auburn? Or UBC?

11. Cman68

I have no idea. If they did, we sure as hell lucked out.

12. NoodleArm

If Darnold can fall to three, anything is possible, right?

CotcheryFan and Cman68 like this.
  13. Cman68

Lady Luck certainly seems to be showing us the love! :)

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree it is very hard if not impossible to change mechanics if a QB is playing. If we want him to improve his lower body mechanics and either tighten his delivery or redo his throwing motion it will not happen while playing. He would benefit a lot by sitting for 1-2 years. It will allow him to not only learn the offense, catch up to the speed of the game but have much better mechanics when he is indeed asked to go in and play. I think we all knew when we drafted Darnold he is an extremely raw and young prospect that will have to sit 1-2 years. If we ask him to go in and try to learn the offense, fix his mechanics, fix his ball security issues, catch up to the speed of the game and deal with our OL his long term development will likely suffer a great deal. If people expect him to come in and start right away they are likely to be disappointed. Darnold's development is not about this year or next year but him developing in four or five years into a good QB. He and the CS have a lot of work to do.

#534 Noam, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  15. MeanGreenMachine88

Has a top 3 QB pick ever sat for one year let alone two in recent history? That’s inconceivable

NJJets20 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

2 years is too much IMO. I can live with him sitting for a year to develop and then being handed the keys in 2019 behind an OL that's hopefully been upgraded.

17. GasedAndConfused

the browns already red-shirted mayfield and mayfield was the 1st overall pick and is 3 years older then darnold and has 3 more years of college experience them him as well. Mayfield won't take the field before his 24th birthday, darnold is only 20.

18. MeanGreenMachine88

Who cares if he ever plays he’s a system qb and Taylor is godawful wouldn’t shock me if he beats him out

19. GasedAndConfused

I was just answering your question lol

Phillip rivers was drafted 4th overall and sat an entire season. Eli was drafted 1st overall and sat the 1st half of his rookie season. carson palmer was 1st overall and sat his rookie season. it's been done before

20. MeanGreenMachine88

Fair enough. In Today’s NFL defense and especially hits on the quarterback are basically outlawed though I could see darnold getting in as soon as 3-4 games in