Hindsight - Should Sam have sat out 2018 behind a Vet QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 5, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I watched people drive for years before I got my license. I wasn’t Andretti the first time I took the wheel.

Took years to be a responsible driver.

FWIW - I train people for in my vocation. My experience is that most people are hands on learners. You rarely hear anyone say they learn from taking notes and watching others.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

As has been stated by many, the tools are not there for Darnold or any other QB to succeed with this unit. Regardless, half a season in, it was alarming to see Darnold play against the Fins like he had never seen an NFL defense before. Everybody seems to agree that Darnold has what it takes to be a star in the league, but it is difficult to tell if this notion is based more on blind optimism than reality. Let's be real, which individual associated with the NFL will come out and say the kid does not have what it takes, even if it becomes increasing apparent he doesn't? Too early to tell either way, so it is best to maintain a neutral position.

Playing with a lousy offensive unit does take the pressure off Darnold, since it is a built-in excuse for him not to succeed. This alone, takes the pressure off him and gives him a free pass for the entire season. It also allows the Jets to tank for a higher draft pick by not outwardly appearing they are tanking. It is highly unlikely this Jet offense will be revamped and improved in one season, so the fans have little choice but to continue being patient (how many times have we heard that nonsense?).

Alarmingly, there have been quite a few USC Quarterbacks who have made it to the NFL, but on the whole, they have had little success. On a regular season career basis, Carson Palmer has been the most successful, who has only one career playoff win. The remainder of the list is filled out with a number of busts, some of which had come into the league with high hopes of succeeding. Being drafted by the Jets, the deck is obviously stacked against Darnold to avoid becoming part of that list of USC Quarterback busts in the NFL. There is a culture of losing associated with the Jets and it continues to permeate, regardless of who plays or coaches for them.

3. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I never wanted him to start the season. I didnt mind if he finished if the team was below 500. McCown had a connection with the receivers...although the wr's raved about Sam during camp...that is what they were supposed to say to the media.
    There are too many examples of great qb's sitting for a year or more. There was no need for this...especially after paying Mc all that money.

ouchy likes this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

While I like what I have seen from Sam Darnold and want to believe he is the chosen one I still hate that we had to give up three second round picks to move up three lousy spots in the first round of the draft.

I also think that a guy like Quenton Nelson or Bradley Chubb could have been the cornerstone of this franchise for the next decade.

There is no use in crying over spilled milk but we would have been better off if Cousins agreed to come here.

Pepsiguy5, Jets81 and FJF like this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Even though I stumped for Teddy, I’m ok with how it played out. Not afraid to change my mind.

Sam got his trial by fire, and assuming he’s now not a busted out crack whore, he learned a lot and should be able to take the learnings and improve next year.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah... no doubt they'd be better right now. I'm still elated we got Sam but if you "traded" him for Kirk Cousins, Quenton Nelson, Chubb at RB and say Courtland Sutton at WR for this whole season? It is absolutely impossible to imagine the Jets wouldn't be better right this second. But Cousins wouldn't take our money and taking a longer term view this may well (hopefully) still end up the better road to take if we can develop Sam and get him some help.

FJF likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Prior to Sunday, I thought that Darnold should absolutely start all 16 games this year no matter what so he can work through his flaws.

Seeing what McCown, a seasoned vet who looked pretty good last year with the same personnel but a different OC, looked like yesterday, I think the Jets should put Darnold on IR.

The offense’s struggles aren’t his fault whatsoever. Bates is engineering a tire fire and we need to get our only major asset out of it before it’s too late.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Start of the season I thought McCown would/should be the starter with Sam coming in as relief in the inevitable blow out loses and possibly looking to start around week 8 or 9 when we notched up our 7th loss.

I thought Sam could be the guy and still do but the lack of college experience made me think we'd be slower to introduce him. (had him ranked as third most ready rookie to start but highest ceiling).