Here's what I think Rosen fans will do for the next 4 years.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 30, 2018.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Of course those same people may now realize a line in the sand can be scratched out and moved. At least the noise of draft Chubb has pretty much evaporated now that they have Darnold when most were arguing among Mayfield, Rosen, Allen and that noisy group of Chubb supporters.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That was me. Well said, Byz! Hilarious thread too.

It will be fun to see how all the QB's do. Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen, Jackson, even Rudolph, Falk, and Lauletta.

Rosen definitely has the best chance to succeed instantly. And Jets fans will definitely complain about it. Should be entertaining!

xxedge72x and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rosen is probably going to sit behind Bradford if he doesn't pull his groin stepping out of his Bentley in the parking lot. I think Jackson is going to get snaps from game 1. He probably doesn't start but I can see him getting playing time with a limited package and doing well.

stinkyB, Peebag and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

One thing I didn't think about....Josh is ultra liberal, AZ ultra conservative, doesn't bode well for patience if Josh struggles on the field, and he remains outspoken. Yikes.

5. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

I mean well what are Darnolds political opinions? If you don’t care about them well then clearly we all know who you support. It’s 2018, we cannot support a team whose quarterback does not donate his entire paycheck to social causes, uses his platform to further equality and acceptance, and ensure that all people no matter what feel that they are beautiful and loved. Who gives a shit if he can throw a football, we need a shining beacon of love and acceptance as the face of our franchise

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would not call him ultra liberal or give him any political belief. He wore an Anti trump hat. Most people hate Trump and view as him unstable and mentally ill, regardless of whether they are liberal or conservative. What I have not seen Rosen do is actually articulate any political beliefs or defend or affirm his criticisms of Trump. Which tells me those beliefs are either not well thought, something he does not want to make public or something that changes from day to day. He is willing to talk non stop about whatever thoughts pop into his mind contradicting himself every few seconds. Which makes me think his ideas change from minute to minute. He is extremely young, immature and loves to hear himself talk. I don't think he has many well thought out or formed beliefs. The only real belief he seems to have is that he thinks he is really smart and people should listen only to him.

#46 Noam, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

A couple things I'm liking with the decision of Darnold over Rosen other than the obvious demeaner Darnold shows over Rosen at such a young age are...1) his durability which is huge when you want your QB on the field more often than not (see Sam Bradford). 2) something that contributes to Darnolds durability which is mobility. You really need that in the NFL now with defenses so quickly diagnosing plays and quick to get to the QB. An argument can be made Brady is not mobile but Brady has benefited from good or better OL play. That is something QBs will not get at this point in time here. Sam Darnold would be able to work with an average OL like ours much more so than Rosen. IMO if Rosen was here I would be cringing with fear every time a DL or someone off the edge was barelling in about to lay down Rosen...not so much with Darnold.

Noam likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I like to believe that Rosen dropped more for his injury concerns and lack of mobility than his outspokenness. The lack of mobility plus plenty of injury concerns already is a very scary combination.

Walt White and nicg4360 like this.
  9. nicg4360

Agree. Every QB taken above him were highly mobile (compared to Rosen) and had less injury concerns.

I may be wrong here but players who have well documented history of injuries in the college game do not overcome that in the NFL. Its a whole different animal from college to the NFL not in a good way.

Noam likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I feel like this thread would be worth more if Rosen were in a Miami Dolphins jersey.

Thank you Cardinals!

stinkyB and Peebag like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would argue that Brady is very good at moving in the pocket as was Manning. They are both not the most mobile but they have good pocket presence and are able to efficiently slide and move a few feet extending plays. Like you said one of the exciting things about Darnold is his pocket prescience and ability to move in the pocket. For a modern day NFL QB that ability to extend plays and avoid hits is huge. Rosen is just the opposite. He does not sense the rush and take lots of extra hits. Darnold also has a bigger sturdier frame than Rosen with the potential to absorb more hits. Where Darnold needs to greatly improve in the pocket is his ball security and how he holds the ball. I agree with you as well on Darnold being able to work better with an average OL. The one advantage Rosen has besides more advanced mechanics is his ability to read defenses, process information quickly and get rid of the ball. Despite his pocket immobility he can still avoid a lot of hits because of his high football IQ and fast processing speed.

CotcheryFan and nicg4360 like this.
  12. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

If this is a injury prone comment concerning QBs only, this could be true, but we had an offensive lineman that was injury prone in college, but went on to excel in the NFL, without injury during a long career....NFL Pro Football HOFer, Anthony Munoz.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I was Rosen over Mayfield and obviously Allen. I never thought Darnold was an option given that I, and everyone else, assumed the Browns would take the number 1 ranked QB, not the 3rd or 4th. I was totally convinced the Giants were not taking a QB, didn't want to ruffle Elis feathers and I think they think with Eli, Barkley and healthy WRs they can contend for a few seasons. So I did have outside hope that the Browns would be the Browns and pick the wrong guy. And I'm exstatic that they did. We wound up up with the best QB of a talented group of QBs, the one QB who would have been ranked one the last few seasons.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

and the reason they passed on him for "Lam" Jones :(

15. nicg4360

I wasn't suggesting "every" player would suffer the same fate but most I feel would struggle.

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Can you tell us of all the times that Josh Rosen spoke out about political topics in a liberal manner?

LF911SC likes this.
  17. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I was fine with either Rosen or Mayfield, although I favored Mayfield slightly. However, that was because it was "obvious" that Darnold wouldn't be there at 3. Since Mayfield was gone and Mac had his pick of the rest, I'm fine with Darnold and I will support him. I am a little leery of the ball security issues, but if he gets that under control I think he will have a shot at being a good one.

18. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

As much as I liked Josh Rosen, it was only because I thought we had no chance for Sam Darnold, and I didn't want anything to do with Josh Allen. As for Baker Mayfield, I was iffy on him due to his height and punk attitude not being the greatest fit for the New York media. I'm glad the way things worked out. Being a Jets fan, I'm all about Darnold, and couldn't give two shits what Rosen does. I really don't care how many concussions Donald and Suh give Rosen. It's none of my fucking business.

19. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I was all in on Mayfield, If he had a couple more inches on him then i think he'd be #1 consensus. Darnold however was far away my #2 but seems he was the FO's top choice so here's to hoping.

20. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

<----Rosen was my #1, Darnold was my #2.

I will not judge either QB by their first 2 years, good or bad. one good year does not make a great QB, one bad year does not make a bust, especially in the first two years of their career.

My prediction has been that Rosen is more likely to have good overall career than Darnold, but mostly because he's more of a 'sure thing' than Darnold...not that any draftee in this QB class was a Sure thing. The last absolute sure thing QB was Luck, and when healthy he's been great, but his O-line got him killed.

My single biggest concern about Darnold was his ball security in college this past year on a team that, on a college level, outclasses it's opponents, as a rule of thumb.

My second biggest concern is that the most successful QB USC has ever produced has been Palmer, everyone else has been pretty much a bust or mediocre for their career. It's hard to say that a school that has never produced a pro bowl caliber QB, or even a top flight QB, that you have confidence in the QB's they develop in terms of NFL ability...there will be a first, eventually, and maybe Darnold is that that first, I hope He is.

Darnold probably has a slightly higher ceiling than Rosen, but Rosen is more likely to reach that ceiling...IMHO.