Hackenberg - interesting take

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Mar 25, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Never starting Hack, taking a QB #3 overall, and signing McCown and Bridgewater is a sign you have given up on Hackenberg and admitted his pick was a mistake NO DOUBT. So I get your view of just cutting bait. Maybe that is best for both sides.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It was a mistake the day it happened. To me, moving on from it is the best option possible for all involved.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and Peebag like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

when/if hack gets cut....how far back will we have to go to find a QB selected that high in the draft and never appear in an NFL game? jeeesh...

its even scarier when you consider the same people who thought Hackenberg should be a 2nd round pick are still employed by the Jets and will be the ones making the QB selection at 3 overall this year!! it gives me zero confidence they will make the right choice.

BTW- Hackenberg was working with QB "guru" jordan palmer. This year palmer's prospects are Darnold and Allen. Maybe they'd be better off seeking advice elsewhere

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

We actually have no idea what the Hack/Palmer connection has produced - for all we know Hack is now a completely different quarterback because Palmer has fixed all of his problems! (Yeah, yeah, I don't really believe that either).

I see no reason to cut Hack at this point. He makes fine training camp fodder, and the Jets owe him absolutely nothing given the $2.7+ million they've paid him to be completely useless. If he remains as useless as he has been, and Bridgewater can play, put him on the PS and let someone else take him if they want him. Cutting him this year saves less than $500K on the cap anyway.

On the other hand, keeping Petty at this point is just cruel. He's been a good soldier for 3 seasons and is clearly not in the team's plans. He's gotten his $2.1 million, let him go, get $700K in cap savings, and let him see if anyone else is willing to give him a training camp shot.

5. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

There has to be someone out there willing to give us a 7th rounder for this bust. Draft day trade please to whoever loses out on a QB.

6. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The Jets currently have 17 WR on the roster and will pare that down to 6 or so on the final roster. I see no problem keeping 4 or even 5 QBs on the roster through the offseason if, for no other reason, to have enough arms to feed the 17 WRs. Maybe Hack will surprise, maybe not, but push the decision off until you've seen it.

LAJet, All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don't know but I suspect Pat White. The Dolphins' recent drafting history (Hi Dion Jordan) is almost as bad as our own.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't really understand why we should care what is best for Hackenberg? We invested a second round pick and several million dollars, not to mention our coaches time, on this guy. Keep him around until his roster spot becomes a burden on the special teams unit. At a minimum, he and or Petty provide insurance against injury disaster. It isn't as if we're keeping him from starting someplace else, at which point we could then recoup on our investment.

abc and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think hack and teddy are competing for the same spot
    Depth chart will look like this come August:
    Mccown
    Hack/teddy
    Draft pick

Petty will be released as soon as the draft ends

themorey, All Gas No Shake and Jets69 like this.
  10. xxedge72x

My view:

Plan A: Desired starter for eventual tag and trade: Bridgewater
    Plan B: Opportunity to start without guarantee if ahead of rookie curve: Rookie
    Plan C: If Plan A and Plan B doesn't flesh out by end of preseason: McCown
    Plan D: If injuries or other disaster: Hackenberg vs Petty camp competition

All Gas No Shake, Jets81 and FJF like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is how I feel too about Hack. Petty, not so much. He can go. Hack is still young and many teams have back-up QB's they drafted. He did not turn out to be a starter as fast as everyone wanted, but he could turn into a quality back-up.

KurtTheJetsFan and Jets69 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I partially agree, but I would handle things differently. I'd keep both McCown and Bridgewater. IMO it makes no sense to cut either unless Bridgewater is just nowhere near healthy. Hack doesn't deserve a roster spot over Bridgewater. If Hack shows significant progress during OTAs, TC and preseason, then I'd keep him on the PS. If he doesn't show significant progress, then I see no point in keeping him.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone's mentioned this earlier, but it makes sense to me to keep Hack through training camp as insurance on Teddy's knee.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, aren't practice squad guys contracts week to week? Meaning, at the end of each week, other teams can sign someone off another practice squad if they are not on your active roster? Maybe that is why very few QBs are placed on practice squad........

14. xxedge72x

The Hackenberg thing doesn't bother me as much because he was a mid 2nd round pick. All of the historical evidence shows that after the 1st round, success rate at finding a starting caliber QB drops off tremendously. Despite this, some of the best QBs in the league are not 1st rounders after being overlooked for one reason or another.

When you pick up a QB after round 1, you almost have to assume the ceiling is long term backup, and if you get anything more than that, bravo. The Jets saw a "prototype" physical build in Hackenberg, combined with one season of college football where ever so briefly he flashed potential for greatness. Understanding that the team wasn't betting the franchise on this kid, I can understand why they took a chance on his potential.

It's well documented that after meeting with him they seemed to be impressed with his personality / character/ whatever. They probably felt he had a work ethic that would enable him to unlock his potential. Like so many, it hasn't gone that way. If Hackenberg had been the 3rd overall pick, this would have been devastating. As a mid 2nd round pick on a team desperate for a QB, it's merely a setback. Same goes for Geno Smith for that matter.

Now, the Jets have been playing cute with the position for a long time. This time, this draft, this choice, this one has serious consequences for the next several years of Jets football. Mac put his big boys pants on to get into position for this. Let's hope he doesn't get pantsed on the way to the podium.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know about the week-to-week part, you may be correct, but I know that other teams can sign players off of other teams' PSs. I know that at least sometimes, the team that is having a player signed off their PS has a chance to match or beat the other team's offer, but I think that is on a case-by-case basis. I could be mistaken however. Even if I am mistaken and the original team can't match, imo it's better to take that risk than keep 4 QBs on the roster. I think at least part of the season would have gone by before another team might try to sign Hack off the PS and by that time, the Jets would have a clearer picture/better handle on their QB situation, i.e., how much the rookie is progressing and how close he is to being ready to play, how healthy Bridgewater is and how he looks in practice or starting, how Hack looks/has he shown improvement, and how McCown looks in practice or starting. By that point the Jets might be ready to cut bait with Hack anyway because he has shown so little improvement or might be ready to move him onto the roster anyway, as one of the QBs may be injured and have to go on IR, Bridgewater may have had to have been released because he wasn't close to being healthy, or McCown might be stinking the joint up.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I don't really understand why we get so killed on the Hack pick though - it was a 2nd round pick and we screw them up all the time - we get way more flack for taking Hackenburg than the Broncos get for taking Paxton Lynch in the same draft in the middle of the first round and last time I checked he wasn't penciled in as their potential QB of the future!

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

In a word, jets. That’s why

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Paxton Lynch has at least suited up and played in actual games. Hackenberg hasn't even made it into a real live game. For a 2nd round pick to be that bad is a terrible question mark against Macc's ability to judge QB talent.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It isn't that Hack is a bust. Geno was a 2nd round bust too. It's that Hack is literally the worst highly drafted QB I've ever seen. That Mac even liked him is worrisome.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Too bad we didn't take him in the first round and then he could replace Gholston as the worst Jets pick of all time (I give johnnie lam jones a flyer here).