Grambling St Boycott

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by TNJet, Oct 18, 2013.

1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

When these kids take scholarships they take them under certain conditions and understandings. I know if my kid had a scholarship I would want to make sure they had an opportunity to actually get an education along with playing football. When they spend 12 hours on a bus each way to get to a game they are not going to be ready to play that game and when they get back after another 12 hour bus ride they are not going to be ready to go to class the next day.
    The scholarship is not just a mechanism for the players to make the school money, it is a trade off for the kids to also get an education.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

That's fine but they need to get a real job and put themselves through College like I did. If they think a bus ride is bad they will never make it in the real world.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Did you play college football? You think they're not putting themselves through college? Time dedicated to practice, lifting, film study...

...unsafe facilities (in the WEIGHT ROOM no less!!!) that the school pulled the plug on because the coach who showed initiative AND GUMPTION didn't go through "official channels?"

Good for the players.

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

They are at Grambling, its not like they are at Bama...sorry but suck it up or dont play. I wanted to go to college instead of the military but my parents were broke and I had no real options so I went in the military. We all make choices, some work out some dont.

6. The Waterboy

You didn't have the skills to get a full ride scholarship, get over it. The kids have every right to protest conditions that are terrible for a major college program.

The colleges make millions off the kids, the trade off is they get an education. If the school is going to put the kids in a situation that does not allow them to safely train and play as well as have the time to get an education then I support them 100% in their boycott.

7. The Waterboy

So only top 25 schools get to train in safe conditions?

8. blackssmagic

I would be willing to bet the gym they have is better than the base gym at the place I am at

9. blackssmagic

Its a sense of entitlement

10. The Waterboy

fillaaaaaa

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I knew some people would take the dumb fuck and dishonest argument that the players were spoiled and entitled because of their complaints about the bus ride.

problem is the bus ride isn't the only complaint so you can't single it out. it is one of many complaints that reflect the institution's complete disregard for the player's well being and success, two things the institution is responsible for.

the players are complaining about piss poor facilities to practice in that are falling apart and mold infested; when Doug Williams raised money himself for new mats in the weight room the school confiscated them; and the uniforms are poorly laundered and filthy leading to multiple cases of staph infection.

but yes, the school's refusal to fly them to games is completely isolated from these factors and isn't simply another act of complete disregard for the players that they are complaining about.

good job, dummies.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

#12 74, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That is a disgrace that the players had to boycott in order for the school to act on deplorable conditions.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

15. The Waterboy

Yes, Grambling may have to pay up but the players boycott produced some actions. The work on the gym was probably the most important issue and they started working on that soon after.

I find your post somewhat strange though, it is as if you think yourself justified in your original position because someone has to pay the other school. They are distinctly different issues.