Goodell's Extension

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AJT73, Dec 8, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Behind closed doors he must be a great commissioner. In the public he is a disaster. How does he keep his job? How does he get a $200 million extension. To me it's just crazy. Just to name a few things.

1. Spygate: Why did he destroy the tapes? When it all happened it people made a big deal but went away quickly. Those tapes never should've been destroyed first mistake.

2. Ray Rice: No need to rehash. We know how awful that was handled.

3. After Ray Rice the bumbling continued. Greg Hardy, Josh Brown and I feel like there were a few more.

4. Not solving the National Anthem protests.

5. Quality of play and oversaturation because of Thursday Night Football and not recognizing the mistake.

6. PSL's. Has killed both the Jets and Giants home game experiences.

7. Blocking the CTE report and initially downplaying it.

8. Having the military pay for the NFL's display of patriotism.

These are eight things. I had a few more as well. When I remember I will edit it. I know there are more and I know he has made billions for the NFL and their owners with everything he has done but there has to be a point where not only Jerry Jones is the voice of reason and says look at what this man has done. How can we give him this? I think this is even more reason why people are turning off the NFL because of him. He seems to run the NFL like the mob.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Through 2024. Just heard. Feh.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He's the worst commissioner in pro sports in my opinion and has made football terrible to watch. The product on the field is drastically unappealing than it has been in year past with a ridiculous amount of flags, too many rules, and no consistency in the fouls being called.

The protest issue was handled horrifically and as a result viewership is down a pretty significant amount.

The extension is purely economic in scope because as owners they're real concern is to make sure there's a ton of money flowing into the league and although viewership is down the deals made with media outlets are enormous and wildly profitable.

Other than that, he has been awful on a variety of fronts.

Red Menace and Brook! like this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You answered your own question. He has made Billions of dollars for the owners.
    As far as the military, they pay every league for their patriotic displays. MLB, NBA, even the NCAA. It's the DODs biggest recruiting tool.

5. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Please allow me to explain why.

1. Roger Goodell, son of Senator Goodell, comes from proper NFL aristocracy. Rich NFL owners can relate to him.
    2. Roger in most cases obeys thy owners. Yes being a kiss ass for the owners is important.
    3. Is credited, maybe unfairly, for the big lucrative TV deals.
    4. Probably the biggest reason is the NFL concussion settlement which will probably save the NFL owners billions.

Having said all this, Roger would tell many of you, including me,

"Such peasantry indeed!"