Gonna join in protest at the game tomorrow.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Sep 23, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we know the answer to that one don't we?

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Riiiiiiggghhhtttt.

3. Dierking

What's this story about the Cowboys being forbidden to honor the cops killed in the Dallas riots?

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The best way for the NFL to focus the matter elsewhere is to do nothing and let the protests fizzle out like before Trump opened his mouth. Of course Trump didn't want that because he needed some red meat to feed to his base.

5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

If they are following kaepernicks lead, which lead did they follow 1st. The donating part, or the taking a knee for a spectacle part.
    after the cops were killed at the protests there, the cowboys org wanted to honor them with small stickers on the helmet and weren't permitted .

6. Dierking

get the fuck outta here.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

8. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

When I refer to Obama as a centrist, I'm referring to his adoption of neoliberalism. I had/ have a HUGE problem with his regimes lack of attention towards monopolies that continue to stunt wage growth.

Have you had an innocent family member(or a friend killed by the police)? I won't get into specifics, but I have had and it's a name that you would very well likely would be well aware of with if I mentioned the name. Have you had a 12 year old nephew or son of yours be killed, with no justice served? Have you had a family member or friend that was beaten brutally by cops with batons, only to serve no justice. Have you ever been pulled over and your car be searched for drugs or illegal possessions? Have you had the cops called for you because you bought an expensive item. Have you ever been a victim of stop and frisk? Have you had officers say that you look like a bad guy, because of your skin color? This is not some grand leftist liberal conspiracy theory. Acts of police brutality have been protested for 55+ years, Dr. King, talked about on numerous cases. His I have a Dream Speech that? Preceding his famous lines , was a call to end police brutality against minorities. There are so many African Americans and Hispanics too that have lost their families friends at the hands of the police BECAUSE of implicit bias. Yes, the cops and a corrupt, broken system, are part of the many problems plaguing the minority community, but please don't tell me a person who has been judged by police, follows that the police is not one of the issues we should be concerned with. This isn't a left or right issue for me, this is a real, living experience that I and MANY other people in this country have to deal with on a daily basis.

Being privileged doesn't only equate to economics success. If you don't have to ever think, worry, or deal with racism in this country your privileged in that regard. If your a male and you do not have to face sexism, you are privileged in that regard. If you have access to the best public education system. And the list goes on and on. Whether it by gender, race, the country we live in, most of us in one way or another are privileged

A call to amend injustices in society should not be looked as a left or right issue, but a call for empathy. That is all I ask for. I could not care less about a person's political party when discussing this issue.

#268 BigSnacks54, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  9. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Your inability to read and actually apply nuance/ consider different perspectives, is incredibly breathtaking. Your denial of flawed system from top to bottom, which is our police system in this country, is a microcosm of the issue with society at large and the reason that you continue to see protests that you stupidly deem to be "unAmerican." Keeping wearing that MAGA hat!

10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

When you compare policing say more then 20 years ago with today there is a big difference. I know of many police officers older then me who were asked to step down due to various police brutality incidents. One time when I was young hanging out with friends partying, the cops showed up from nowhere. All of them took off running and I stayed there figuring it wasn't worth it. Each one of my friends were caught and beaten badly. I guess I was spared for not running. The cop rule back then is if you run you are going to get a beating. One time I was lost driving in Orlando and was pulled over for actually being white. I was told by the black officers they pulled me over because they thought I was a drug dealer and because I was white had no business being in a black neighborhood. I once upset a John sting when I offered to help to what I believed was a damsel in distress. When I didn't go for the bait for the best time of my life, the lights still showed up. They frisked me, checked out my credentials, even though I did nothing wrong and wasn't arrested. I have had cops point their guns at me twice in my life. Once because of mistaken identity and once because I made the mistake of being in a restricted area in a military base. Maybe I am just an unlucky white guy, but my point is you don't have to be black to see police injustice. Even though the police aren't perfect, they are not as bad as in the past. Have you ever seen videos of police beating protesters in the 60's and 70's? Look up the 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention for example. You will see many white hippies getting their asses kicked. So saying police brutality is just a black thing is not completely correct.

11. typeOnegative13NY

you mention African American and hispanics. I guess white people never get shot and killed by police even though more white people get shot and killed by police every damn year. But since the media doesn't warp our mind with it, I guess it doesn't happen. Cough -Justine Damond .

I'm not saying there isn't a problem , and a history with black people and cops . Everyone knows there is. But for mother fucks sake, stop with this billshit that white people all just dance through life with ease. I spent my whole teenage years getting taken out of my car and searched, searched walking down the street. Constantly being fucked with because we were long hair metal head kids. They never kicked our asses, but they were freakin nasty , always did it where it wasn't seen and had us scared shitless like they were going to do something most times.

12. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that you and your family were victims of police brutality. I had a relative killed by police incompetence in another country and my family there is still suffering from that lost. A dear black friend of mine, his son because he made the mistake of hanging with the wrong kids one night. He was shot by the police and almost died, and still has medical issues as a result. They were involved in some stupid teenage gang stuff that almost got them all killed. I wish I had an answer that would fix all these problems, but it needs to start with training and screening out ill prepared or bad cops. The public also needs to realize that cops are very dangerous and one wrong move may cost you your life. I have quite a few friends that are or were cops today. If you only heard half their stories you would start to realize that it can be a thankless job and it doesn't take much to go into depression and anger management issues. Many of my cop friends have not been able to stay married and many live a miserable life after leaving the police force. You see police are victims too of the system but not to many of us realize this.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I totally agree that minorities (especially blacks) have to deal with things that whites do not and it needs to change for the better but I can't stand that people keep throwing the term white privilege around. Man, most people in this country white, black, or anything else just wanna get through the day and feed their families....saying ohh you're privileged or whatever just comes across as weak and a victim mentality to me.

To be honest we're all privileged human beings for being born in a great country like America, but I'm sure certain people don't wanna hear that

Systematic racism is not right and it certainly exists but there needs to be more personal responsibility as well if things are really going to change.....Plenty of white trash out there that anyone will call out for the way they live but in general it's harder to find minorities that will call out their own for doing things wrong.

It's hard to solve problems when you're not 100% genuine and honest about them. I say that to certain cops, lawmakers, and everyone else that has a problem with some of the social issues that continue to exist

southsidejet likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Tebow? What does Tebow have to do with anything?

15. Dierking

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Translation: the NFL doesn't make money off of stickers on helmets

Greenday4537 likes this.
  17. typeOnegative13NY

I wonder if teams have to ask them to wear a sticker or patch honoring an owner who died etc. if this was due to uniform policy, then why say yes to that, and no to the police sticker .

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Adam Silver, NBA commissioner said that he expects all players to stand for the National Anthem as is NBA policy.

NBA players make a loooot more money than NFL players as a whole, but I wonder if the fines come out if they refuse?

He's a pretty progressive commissioner as well.

19. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

I found this earlier this evening which I understand to be US law.

I'm not a US citizen and I'm not a lawyer but I would like to ask if posters considers that NFL players who protest be cut/fired could be considered as sailing close to the wind or actually in breach of this

1. U.S. CodeTitle 18Part IChapter 11 › § 227
    (a)Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
    section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).
    (Added Pub. L. 110–81, title I, § 102(a), Sept. 14, 2007, 121 Stat. 739; amended Pub. L. 112–105, § 18(a), Apr. 4, 2012, 126 Stat. 304.)

Here is the link https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227

20. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Sorry at coming back to this days later. hectic work week - lots jumping off and needing contained...sadly

If law enforcement officers are trained akin to attack dogs those who are doing the training are "siccing" them on targets. To do that likely menas overly simplistic parameters. Policing is highly complex as it in reality is an organisation with power interacting with those who cross boundaries and those who have been victimised. if you are an attack dog that is one role/response task where law enforcement is multi dimensional.

If budgets are tight does that excuse or even permit a poorly trained and purposed police force. Such a force will poorly serve it's citizens.

In my opinion politicians and media do not bring this up as it cannot be reduced to a sound bite. In addition the pressure for public officials to respect the pillars of society - courts, police, law and sadly how these are so strongly linked to symbols like flags, seals of authority it is difficult to be seen to challenge these even constructively and not become bait.

Here in the UK Judges are considered as Crown representatives ie an extension of the monarch whose justice they are dispensing. Very antiquated. If you are a supporter of the monarchy it is somewhat jarring to be subjected to what in essence is a symbol to represent cohesiveness. You are being governed by a system that does not necessarily reflect your wants/needs or position.