Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I think that the OL and CB are the two spots that they should primarily focus on in FA.

With potentially 7 young starting Cs being FAs, the Jets should be able to find their new starting C in FA. If not, there are several older FA Cs who could be a one or two-year stopgap, and there are a few backup Cs who could be available as well, who the Jets could sign to at least have better depth at the position.

There are a number of good, young OGs and RTs who could be FAs as well. I don't think it is a stretch to say that the Jets could come out of FA with two new OL starters. There's no doubting that they need to.

The options at CB are more limited, but the Jets need to re-sign Claiborne and add another CB in FA. I'd love for the Jets to be able to move on from Skrine, so would hope that they could find a new slot CB in FA, but that's probably too much to ask. They'll probably need to wait until after the draft or camp cuts to fix the slot CB position, but then that would give them some added cap space for next year.

Mac will probably add a FA RB, but I'd rather they wait and draft one.

If they cut Mo (which they should), then Mac probably needs to sign a FA DE as well.

blackssmagic, Noam and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

You are dealing with the one guy who wants his silly impersonations as a football guru and QB whisperer to be believed by everyone or bust, or he is smart and you are not.
    His ideas of revamping Hack when he was drafted have really worked out. Lol
    You have it right.
    Teams turn around quickly with competent people in charge starting at GM and downward.
    Jacksonville turned around thru the draft, but were put over the top with the Campbell and a couple others, moves.
    The entire rebuilding process isn't a decades worth of drafting at the top of the first round and the team being shitty for a complete decade. That notion is stupid. It's impossible.
    The draft is hit and miss at best, mostly due to the GM/Head coach differences. A good team begins here.
    Teams do turn around quick, and I agree with you that most NFL teams are very close in overall talent. There are a couple on each end of the spectrum that are consistent at being great, and consistent at being bad.
    The difference being the top of the organization, Owner trickling downward to everyone else in the organization.
    If the JETS had great people at the top downward, we wouldn't be 5-11 2 years running, nor out of the playoffs 8 years running.
    The days of slowly rebuilding a team over a decade or more, or building a QB thru years of sitting the bench don't work.
    The guy you are arguing with will never get it. Some people just are not capable of learning, or admitting to the concept of them being ignorant of things they can't comprehend.
    You tried "Rex", you tried. Lol
    I agree with you for what that's worth.

3. Jets777

Jets777 Member

We must sign to Sam Bradford because our quartbacks are suck for many years. We need draft the quartback top. We must draft Allen or Mayfield and or Rudolph.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I follow this guy Joe Caporoso on Twitter...he has a podcast "Turn on the Jets".
    He had a poll about who the biggest FA target besides QB should be between Ryan Jensen, Trumaine Johnson, Ansah and Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson II "liked" the tweet... INTERESTING :);)

BTW Trumaine Johnson leads the way.

almbleamal likes this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Nate Solder played great yesterday and I'd argue that we should look to see if we can push Beachum to LG, and sign Solder to be left tackle.

Peebag and tbruner12 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I'm so glad that you aren't the GM wanting to sign a 30 year-old FA QB and a 29 year-old FA LT. SMH

7. grkmanga31

To be honest, I don't really care. Dismiss my ideas all you want but 30 is young for a QB. Brady is 40 throwing for 500 yards and, 29 year old LT for 3-4 seasons with an out after 2 seasons is completely reasonable.

Come back to this when we see what both Nate Solder and Cousins get in free agency and let me know how crazy my ideas are.

JetsUK, Peebag, tbruner12 and 2 others like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

It won't matter. This is a rebuilding team, and imo, you don't bring in older, more expensive players to a rebuilding team unless there are no other options. IMO the rebuild needs to be finished, but if the Jets sign Cousins and Solder, the rebuild is over, and that would be a big mistake.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

edit. Nvm

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Agree, I do.

Jets777 likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

Per rotoworld.com & Rich Cimini - Jets in talks to re-sign Morris Claiborne.

I would think if this happens, Skrine is gone

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Good and good. Claiborne and Malcolm Butler would like pretty nice with Maye and Adams.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How much are you paying Malcolm Butler?

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. They'll need at least three strong CBs and even though Skrine has been up and down, behind him is mostly question marks (Roberts, Burris, their two late round picks last year, Robinson?). If they resign Claiborne, sign a free agent CB, and release Skrine, they'll still need to acquire another CB

15. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued with Trey Burton. Kid throws a nice ball. All kidding aside, he's a really athletic 26 year old who could help us in the passing game, especially if we can't do a deal with ASJ.

almbleamal and FJF like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'll tell you who the real star was over in Oklahoma where Baker Mayfield played. His name is Mark Andrews. He has some Jason Witten to his game.

If we can't get ASJ back, go get me that guy with a 2nd rounder.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Whatever Butler did to deserve being shunted to ST is a red flag. I would look elsewhere.

18. I think Butler is very overrated. A decent player? Yes.

But despite his infamous contribution in the recent Super bowl & being a solid fixture in the Patriots system,he really isn't anyone worth breaking the bank for.

I'd much rather go after Trumaine Johnson despite the heftier contract he's in line for.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just because the Jets have lots of cap room and Seferian-Jenkins is an NFL tight end (something we haven't had in awhile) doesn't mean they should overpay for him. Nice story but really though, he's just average and could be replaced pretty easy. If they break the bank for him it will be unwise.

If he wants to come back at a decent offer, cool, but I fear situations like this is usually where our Jets make dumb decisions.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Rumor is the rams may cut tavon austin. While he never turned into a good reciever, if the price is right, I'd love to add him as a returner. instant upgrade for us. he's also only 26 years old and would still add WR depth and big play ability.