Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Bradford? Bridgewater? Gross. No thank you. Bradford can't stay healthy and Bridgewater wasn't all that good last time he was healthy… two years ago

Cousins is the move. He's 29, he's a top 12-15 QB, he's proven that he can play well on a professional level. When you have tons of money and a glaring hole at quarterback, there's absolutely no reason to let him sign anywhere else unless he's dead set on returning to the Redskins… And I think we all know he isnt.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think Bridgewater would do great here.

Just to be clear--I don't think Bradford is the answer to anything, and I don't want him. I was just pointing out that he would likely be better than the last two Jets FA QBs, Fitzpatrick and McCown.

It would be extremely Jets-like and make me very unhappy if he were brought in with any shot at being the starter.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would've loved Bridgewater here ... in 2014 ... he does fit this offense, but I would rather get Cousins.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And Bradford doesn’t change that. Dude is made of glass

dogg and grkmanga31 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cousins Cousins Cousins

Ok Guys ..must resign myself that this may possibly happen

Just read an old article on he top 20 Free Agent signings of all time in NFL:

QBs of Note: Peyton Manning 2012 to Denver; Drew Brees 2011 to Saints; Kurt Warner 2005 to Cardinals; Rich Gannon 1999 to Raiders

All of the above resulted in SB wins except Gannon who had them i Playoffs

All I can say is the money and pressure will be on him to do similiar...dont like it but oh well...the impact he has MUST be immediate eg instant playoofs at ver least

So many playing at a high level who were drafted : recently Wentz and Goff these guys took a year to get good...but worth it imo

On topic we need Offensive Lineman and more drafted for depth...why get a gifted QB and have him on his back and on the sidelines ?? Stop kicking the can on this a major priority

#25 NYJetsO12, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    tbruner12, FlaJet and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cousins should NOT be a consideration if the Jets are going to draft a QB in the 1st round. Why on earth would you do that? A 1st round QB should be able to start, if not immediately, by mid-season at least. If you sign, Cousins, at this cost, he'll be the starter for the length of his contract, so that means that 1st round pick QB would be sitting on the bench for the entire length of his rookie contract. It would be like the Jets just burned/wasted their first round pick. That makes absolutely zero sense!

BomberJet, abc, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm all in for blowing a huge portion of our 2018 cap on cousins personally

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Got your panties in a bunch over nothing meant Cousins alone or McCown & a 1st pick.

Come down before you give yourself an ulcer.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I do think the Jets would be in good position to greatly improve the roster even if ~$25mil per season goes to Kirk Cousins. They should resign their own, get a CB and probably a Center. The rest should be built through the draft. Hey, if he's a fit and available I'd do it.

abc likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL My panties are not in a bunch. We can only respond to what you post there in black and white. We can't read your mind. We can't help it if you can't clearly communicate.

By the way, it's "calm" down, not "come" down. LOL

BomberJet and abc like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That is a sleight against glass, I am sure there is tougher glass out there than Bradford ;)

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. Attackett

Thank you for the grammar lesson. In all your millions of words posted on this forum, I’ve finally gotten something useful from one of your posts. Appreciate it..

legler82 and All Gas No Shake like this.
  13. K'OB

Come on man, your post did say Cousins or McCown and a 1st round pick, it is very ambiguous in all fairness to NCJetsfan, and can be taken either way, on first read I thought the same as well but carried on reading.

14. Attackett

Yea could’ve been worded better, no biggie. I’m sure NC appreciates you coming to his defense.

15. K'OB

Well he gets a lot of shit, thought I'd get his back on this one :p

Attackett likes this.
  16. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If you are going to overpay for anything, at least make sure its a QB. When Wilkerson is set to make $20M in 2018, $30M for a QB that has averaged 4,000 yards a year last three years is a steal.

Plus is really the only position that matters. Pay the man. get Cousins.

almbleamal, GWjet, tbruner12 and 4 others like this.
  17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Sign Cousins or trade for Luck are my veteran QB answers. Otherwise, try your luck in the draft.

almbleamal, tbruner12 and FlaJet like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

]

The Vikings have plenty of cap space ($60 Million projected) but they will be in the same situation as the Patriots we're facing with Garappalo.
    Bridgewater will be a hot commodity on the FA market , even with the injury and Keenum will be also. They are not likely to get Stafford like deals but both will be getting over $20 Million per year. The Vikings will be forced to choose one and let the other walk unless they believe that they can place the transition tag on one and get draft picks while signing the other long term. Keenum may get them the picks, but it's risky. The player could sign the tag right away and the team is on the hook for the salary or lose the Guaranteed 2 first round picks if traded.
    $ 44-45 Million is alot to commit to any one position per year.

PS: my panties aren't in a bunch, but this thong is digging into my ass a little... :D

#38 TonyFtLaud, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  19. K'OB

You really think somebody would sign Teddy on at 20m ?

I think he gets a one year prove it deal with a bigger contract promise to come if successful, not sure I would be happy if the Jets paid him a huge contract after near two years out, even though he was a good kid and probably would suit this offence, he was good at the short stuff if memory serves me correct and accurate, which would be a godsend at present lol

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I absolutely do. Look at the recent FA contracts that QBs have received the past few years. None we're on his level. This is a QB driven league. He is young and had success before injury. Young FA QBs very rarely come available. He will get more than 1 year.
    Besides if we sign him for 1 year what happens year 2? Franchise him or fight off other teams for him?.
    There will be plenty of teams trying to sign him.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.