Fournette vs Cook

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Fournette vs Cook

1. Fournette

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Cook

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In most situations you'd be right, but with the Jets as they're configured right now, they need someone who can take the pressure off the young QB, and an elite RB is the best way to do that. Also, given their mediocre (poor?) OL, they need a RB who can make his own holes. Yes, a RB does break down sooner than almost any other player, but if they can use him to climb out of the hole they're in it would be worth it. Then they can draft another RB in a couple of years to go along with the - hopefully - elite QB they have at that point.

xxedge72x likes this.
  2. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

I think Cook is a good back, but we need a bruiser back there and Fournette would fit right in. Add in Powell's/Forte's versatility and it takes tremendous pressure off our QB, whoever that is next year.

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Fournette by a land slide!

This kid is special and we can only hope he falls to #6. He will be one of the best RBs in the league for the next decade and a can't miss prospect. He reminds me so much of AP it's like watching a clone of him.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Morton/Gates => WCO => Cook

5. legler82

6. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

7. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Joe mixon fits that even better then cook . Because he can play the pass like a WR and can downhill run like RB.
    Cook at #6 is insane , again good player but not a star if you look around the league there are players like him. Fournette has elite potential so taking him at #6 is justifiable even tho i wouldn't go that route because there is much safer picks in my opinion who can also be stars.

8. ColoradoContrails

This doesn't help Mixon's case:

http://nypost.com/2017/02/09/victim-in-joe-mixon-fight-gives-her-side-of-story/

Sure, anyone - especially a teenager - can make a mistake, but even teenagers have to accept the reality that some mistakes are life-altering. And this brief story indicates that Mixon was acting like the typical ego-driven, ME-First, type of person that the Jets should stay far clear of IMO. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know the guy, and maybe he's had his wake-up call and is a new person, but I'm skeptical until proven.

Just for argument's sake though, if the Jets decide to go "D" with their first pick or two (GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!), they're still going to need a stud RB or skill position player on "O" to take the load of whoever the QB is. By the time they finally turn to this reality, Mixon may be the only RB that fits the bill. I would be very conflicted about taking him, but if his interviews indicate that he's changed, I'd swallow hard and pick him.

Cook is a better pick for the Jets as they're currently built than any "D" pick other than maybe Garrett. His impact on the offense would be greater, and therefore, on the team, and he won't probably won't last past the 10th pick, so picking him at #6 is hardly "insane". Fournette may be better - if he stays healthy - and I would be happy with either pick.

Look, I understand your bias towards "D", as I'm presently biased towards "O", but there is no way the Jets become a "lock down" defense in a year or even two, which means they had better be able to put points on the board when they inevitably allow the other team to score. With their current offense - including a huge ? at QB - they need to focus on upgrading that unit ASAP. Finding a FQB should be #1 until they find him. But if they don't grab Watson or Mahomes, they need to surround whoever they do use at QB with some elite talent to take the pressure off. An elite RB, TE (or possibly WR, but the blocking of a two-way TE has more value), and OL could transform a mediocre QB into an above-average one, and that would also help the defense by taking pressure off them. But the mindset of Macc and Bowles means they probably won't follow this prescription, and will lean toward your desires, so you ought to be happy.

9. RubenDias

I understand this but i think only leonard is worth the #6 pick on the offense and if you dont want him then trade down 4 or 5 picks and pick Howard
    i dont mind taking offense as long as it is an potential elite prospect at their respective position. Jamal Adams and Reuben Foster are very good players i think no one can deny that.

10. legler82

Hmm I don't see how Mixon is a better receiver or running back than Cook. Last I checked Cook is 5th overall on Mel's and CBS's big board and 4th on SI's rankings several slots ahead of Fournette. I've seen other sites like ESPN and Walter rate Fournette ahead of Cook, but Cook is a consensus top 10. If that's not a star/elite RB, I don't know what is. I'll pass on the future wife beater.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. RubenDias

cook is small you will see in the combine.

12. ColoradoContrails

I'm not denying that Adams, Hooker, Foster are very good players, nor that they wouldn't make an impact on the Jets. What I maintain is that the Jets BIGGER need is to add impact players to the offense before addressing the defense.

The problem I have with trading down is that you give up being master of your own destiny. MAYBE the guy you want - let's say Howard - is there where you've dropped to, but maybe his isn't, and now you've lost a chance to add the best impact player that you could in exchange for an extra middling pick. Only teams that are substantially set at all positions can really afford to trade down and stockpile middling picks. When poor teams like the Jets do it, it's nothing more than trying to pretend they're better than they are.

13. ColoradoContrails

Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, were smaller. They did pretty well.

14. legler82

And?

Barry Sanders 5-8 200
    Emmitt Smith 5-9 216
    Marshall Faul 5-10 210
    Jamaal Charles 5-11 199
    Curtis Martin 5-11 210
    Thurman Thomas 5-10 206
    LeSean McCoy 5-11 208

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't necessarily think this is true. What a great running back does is take pressure off the passing game by moving the defense closer to the line of scrimmage. In theory, a dynamic game breaking runner will give our young QBs a second or two more to allow routes to develop and hit the right target. In this league, that's a considerable advantage, especially for a younger player.

Forte and Powell are both good runners, but not that good to provide that sort of advantage.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

16. ColoradoContrails

Good list.

Dalvin Cook 6-1 214

17. RubenDias

Im not saying cook is trash im just saying he inst worth the #6 pick i woudnt take jamal charles 6th overall while he was very good before his knees went down. I would take Adrian Peterson Bo Jackson #6 overall its a matter of opinion maybe i like big backs thats all.

18. ColoradoContrails

Well said.

And let me emphasize that we're talking about elite RBs not pedestrian ones like Powell/Forte or a middle-to-late round draft pick. The kind of RB that doesn't need a good OL to make yardage. Add one of them, and you transform your offense second only to getting a franchise QB.

xxedge72x likes this.
  19. legler82

Not that it really matters but he is much shorter than that. He's listed at 5-11 and I bet he measures slightly under that based on the eye test. And that weight is probably what he started the season at. I doubt that he was able to maintain it during the season. He probably played closer to 210. If he can come to the Combine closer to 215, it will only help his stock.

20. legler82

I prefer Cook because I prefer the elusive game breaking backs and, more importantly, because of his versatility out of the backfield, is a better fit for the offense I believe we will be running. If this was 2009, Fournette would be the better pick for our Ground and Pound offense.

#60 legler82, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    FJF likes this.