Forget Tyrod

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by RichardCaster, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to remember is that the Bills have $20M cap space including keeping Taylor. It's not like they're looking at signing a player or two including Taylor in that projection. He's already on the cap for $15M of their $149M commitment. He's $17M a year moving ahead and they have him locked up until 2021 if they want him.

If the Bills let him go and he is an above average starter at QB it will be one of the stupidest moves in franchise history.

Just looking at the numbers he certainly looks like an above average starter to me. He looks a lot like Brees was with the Chargers when they made the decision to let him go because they had Philip Rivers on hand. The Bills don't have a top 5 QB waiting to take the job.

I think they keep Taylor and see what happens in 2017 and 2018. It's the logical move.

BTW, if Taylor does land on the market I expect Andy Reid and the Chiefs to make a move on him and then trade Alex Smith in the process somewhere.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yep. It's time to embrace the youth movement and rebuild from the foundation up. We are not going to have a major splash in free agency. Just a few small ripples. So if you are expecting a head turner on offense thru free agency you will be disappointed. IMHO nothing shocking should or will happen, like a Romo, or Tyrod or AP. And a big no to Glennon.
    We are going to surgically select young, under the radar free agents that can be part of the rebuild. Dollars will be strategically targeted towards beefing up the OL and the secondary. Perhaps a blocking full back and or TE. We are going to trade players like Pryor and SR if we can, or leverage them for some trade down scenarios.
    We sure as hell not moving up, but there is a chance we move down more than once. The only measuring stick for Mac this year is how many immediate contributors did we get.
    We are not in the business of tanking, but if that is what it takes so be it. After all, sad as it might be, we have not been in the business of winning much , and certainly not stellar in draft talent acquisition either.

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The best thing about Taylor is he doesnt throw interceptions. Ranked 8th best in % int/pass attempt. But if the Bills keep him I'll be happy. Guys like Taylor and Smith dont threaten anyone and need an elite defense to win games.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just an idiot with a twitter account, who acts like he knows what is going on. Posts tweets like the one the thread was started over, if it comes true he goes on and on about it, if he is wrong, which is 90% of the time, he says something changed.

Claimed Rex was going to step down for personal reasons, in 2011.
    When Jets were looking to trade for Harvin he reported they were offering a 2nd and a 4th, ended up being a 6th.
    I could go on and on with these.

Something tells me RichardCaster and Incarcerated Boob have a thing, he seems to post a lot of his shit.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  5. Br4d

I think this is probably right however Taylor does have a good arm. The rap on him coming out of college was his decision-making and look what he's done in the last two years in that regard.

I think you could plug him in on any team in the NFL right now with a strong defense and decent weapons around him on offense and be a legit contender for a Super Bowl.

Imagine him QBing Rex's Jets in 2009 and 2010.

NYJetsO12 and PulseJet like this.
  6. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Tks. A part of me is sorry I missed all the fun! :D

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Jets take a chance on Tyrod. With our offensive line, we're going to need a QB who can scramble or he won't last.

Chrisiue likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Year Of The Geno!

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

A fate worse than death...but 2018 QBs are just around the corner

So if the Football Gods deem it the only way for us to achieve 4-12 ill bite the bullett

Walt White likes this.
  10. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

There is no way Taylor is back with the Bills under his current contract. They sat him week 17 to insure he didn't get injured so they wouldnt be on the hook for that money.

Maybe they'll restructure, but I doubt it. Taylor has to be pissed at the benching, and there is a market for him. Plus Buffalo is the armpit of the NFL and management there right now is a cluster. Doug Marrone split when he could, and Tyrod will do the same.

I mean Jesus, they even shut down their message boards.

Chrisiue likes this.
  11. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Exactly

12. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Tyrod reminds me of Doug Flutie. He's a great backup and spot starter, but you aren't winning anything in the NFL with him as your long term starter.

I'd rather pass and give Petty a chance.

13. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I think the best play is to commit to playing hackenburg. Bring in a vet who can help him but has no interest in starting. If Hack sucks you are set with a high pick in 2018 to make a play for a qb. If he plays well then you get the year of experience under his belt and can compete with him in 2018. You spent a second round pick on him. There is no qb on the market that's the answer.you can't let the second round pick sit another year when you have nothing. I would even be willing to give Bowles a pass in 2017 if he focuses on developing him.

14. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I generally agree with the idea that we need to figure out what we have in him before we move on, though I'd much rather him earn it than it be handed to him.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  15. Br4d

It'd be much better if he stepped forward decisively and got the job that way.

If he doesn't do that, well then the Jets are probably on a stopgap vet for a few games, Petty for some more and then Hack for whatever is left after that.

2011 Colts - Kerry Collins (0-3), Curtis Painter (0-8), Dan Orlovsky (2-3). 2-14 overall #1 pick.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  16. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

We have Hackenberg and Petty on the roster and you guys want to pass on Taylor. If he gets cut, I would be on the phone right away doing whatever I can to get him in Green & White. One year deal will hold us over till 2018 QB Draft Class and if he surprises us and balls out, then boom we have our answer at QB.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Taylor can't hit the intermediate passes. Either a deep bomb or a checkdown. 90% of the time its a checkdown. I'll give him credit for knowing his limitations so he doesn't attempt many of the intermediate passes but I believe if he was QBing Rex's 2009/2010 Jets while the style of play would be very different I'm not sure the end results would've been any better.

He's not a bad QB by any means he's just limited and needs a certain type of personnel around him. I believe the lack of intermediate passing hurt Buffalo though more than people realize. You gotta be able to hit that 10-yard out, or 15 yard crossing pattern on 3rd and longs at least once in awhile to win games in the NFL. Taylor can't

he had a dangerous WR in Sammy Watkins and great route runners in Woods & Hogan and yet he's throwing checkdowns all game to Mccoy, Clay, and FBs/back up TEs. He'd hit the bomb to Watkins or Goodwin occasionally but it sure seemed like a waste of talents on that offense. That might not all be Taylor's doing but he certainly contributed to that.

#37 BrowningNagle, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

With many 2-4 round picks starting on day 1, the fact that Petty and Hackenberg haven't been able to get on the field, even with the starting QB in meltdown mode, has to be disappointing. With the Jets unloading so many veteran players, I don't think that is a sign they want to bring in a 4-6 year veteran to rebuild this team. To me, the signs are pointing to drafting a QB with their No. 1 pick. That's how you rebuild a football team, around the most important player. I don't know anything about the 2018 crop of QB's but I do know that it's a year away and a lot of things can happen in the interim. The Jets have a top pick now, have the need now, and have the right roster now. They shouldn't waste this opportunity.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

This times 100x. Good qb's can get thrown in right away and play. Almost half the league is qbs that started day 1. The fact that they didn't see anything in practice that would warrant a hackenberg start over a failing Fitzpatrick is scary.

I'm fine with tyrod taylor, I'm also fine with taking a qb at #6. But in either case, petty and hackenberg are not the answer.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Smith for Taylor - that's bizarro world thinkin'

Jay Bizniss likes this.