First Round Mock & Complete Jets Draft (4/9)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Apr 9, 2009.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Couple trades I was thinking of then saw them on another site and saw that they made sense. Denver trades their 1st and 3rd for Jacksonville's 1st and Philadelphia swaps their two first round picks for Houston's first and 2nd round pick.

1) Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia. The Lions and the city of Detroit are looking for some hope for the future and Stafford represents just that. With the success of Ryan and Flacco early on unless there are contract issues I don't see how the Lions don't go QB. He could sit a year behind Culpepper and be ready in 2010 after some more pieces are in place.

2) St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor. With Orlando Pace gone there is a huge hole on the left side of the line for the first time in awhile. Smith has great feet and a ton of potential to protect the blindside for the next decade.

3) Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest. The consensus top defensive player in the draft, Curry could step in and immediately make an impact for the Chief's defense.

4) Seattle Seahawks: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia. Jim Mora Jr. has said that if Hasselback is healthy for 16 games the team could have a special season. I think the 'Hawks will do all they can to keep him upright.

5) Cleveland Browns: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. With Braylon Edwards looking more and more likely to be traded and Dante Stallworth unlikely to be playing in 2009 this pick makes sense. The Browns could use a pass rusher but after the Gholston ordeal last year I think Mangini would rather try his hand later in the draft and target a Larry English type in the 2nd round.

6) Cincinnatti Bengals: BJ Raji, DT, Boston College. I don't think the signing of Tank Johnson changes this pick. The Bengals could use help on both lines and it wouldnt surprise me to see them go offensive tackle but playing in a run heavy division teaming Raji with Peko in the middle will make the rest of their defense better.

7) Oakland Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri. Al Davis gets his speed demon in Maclin. I'd love to see him fall to the Jets but I don't see that happening. Maclin has alot of potential and could be a favorite target of JeMarcus for a long time.

8) Denver Broncos (from Jacksonville): Mark Sanchez, QB, USC. With the top two receivers off the board, I think the Jaguars trade down. Garrard has supposebly lost alot of weight this offseason and is moving around alot better. Del Rio's job may be on the line and taking a QB like Sanchez and having him sit isn't going to win him any games in 2009. Denver can have Sanchez sit behind Orton for a year and learn McDaniels offense and be ready to take over in 2010.

9) Green Bay Packers: Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas. The Packers catch a break and get the best pass rushing prospect at 9. He has alot of potential and should help the Pack get more of a pass rush out of their new 3-4.

10) San Francisco 49ers: Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State. With Sanchez off the board I think the 49ers look to add a pass rusher. Manny Lawson hasn't panned out and they don't have much on the other side. Maybin has vaulted himself into the top 10 with great workouts and has as much physical talent as any prospect at his position.

11) Buffalo Bills: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State. The Bills rejoice because they get the pass rusher they need. Pettigrew would be a nice option but he's a bit of a reach and they should be able to get a TE later on in the draft. Brown can come in as a situation pass rusher and give them a shot in the arm in terms of getting to the quarterback.

12) Jacksonville Jaguars: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida. I think this is a bit high for him but the Jaguars make a good move by sliding down from 8 and still getting the next best receiver on the board. Matt Jones is gone and other then Jones-Drew there are no playmakers on this team. With the signing of Tra Thomas the Jags can afford to go offensive line later and get Del Rio and Garrard a guy that can make an impact his freshman year.

13) Washington Redskins: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama. Smith was once considered a top 3 pick but I think this is as low as he goes. The Redskins need help along their offensive line and Smith if his off the field issues are behind him would be a boost.

14) New Orleans Saints: Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State. It's not often the top defensive back lasts his long. The Saints need help at both CB and free safety so whichever Jenkins winds up playing he will be an upgrade.

15) Philadelphia Eagles (from Houston): Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss. Andy Reids moves up to select a guy that could wind up being the best lineman in the draft. A guy that can play either side and probably guard also he would be an immediate starter for a team that has the potential to be playing into late January.

16) San Diego Chargers: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU. With Olshansky leaving for Dallas there is a hole created at defensive end. One of my favorite 3-4 prospects Jackson has the ability to come in and contribute right away.

17) New York Jets: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia. Not a pressing need but too good of a player to pass up. Has everything you look for except for elite speed, he can catch, run between the tackles and is a very good blocker. Thomas Jones is 31 and griping about being in the last year of his contract, Leon has an agent that may be tough to work with so getting who I consider to be the best running back in the draft at 17 makes sense to me.

18) Denver Broncos: Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC. Would step in and right away be a cog in the middle of their new 3-4 defense. Could've easily been targeted earlier in the draft but should be able to play immediately.

19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State. I don't think Luke McCown is the long term answer in Florida but should be a good stopgap while Freeman adjusts to the NFL. The Raheem Morris-Kansas State connection can't be ignored and while they have some holes on defense getting a potential franchise QB after missing on Cutler seems like a logical choice for a team in a new regime.

20) Detroit Lions: Brian Cushing, LB, USC. Coudl go alot higher then here based on talent alone. Would team up with Ernie Simms to give Detroit something to build around on defense. Ideally they go for a left tackle but Britton's best fit will be on the right side ad the Lions can then grab Beatty at the top of the 2nd round.

21) Houston Texans: Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State. A steal for Houston moving down and still being able to get a guy that fits their team this well. Would compliment Slaton well and give them a chance to break that 8 win barrier this season.

22) Minnesota Vikings: Ebin Britton, OT, Arizona I'm not a huge Britton fan but he's the consensus next best tackle and could slide in right away on the right side of the Vikings line and give Jackson or Rosenfels a chance.

23) New England Patriots: Clay Matthews, LB, USC Exactly the type of versatile The Pats continue to add youth to an aging defense. With TO now in the division getting another CB will help

24) Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State. Could very well go higher then this but if he's around at 24 I think the Falcons sprint to the podium. Would give Ryan a very valuable safety valve underneath and would help Michael Turner in the run game.

25) Miami Dolphins: Sean Smith, DB, Utah Has the size to play safety and corner. In a division with Randy Moss and now TO the Dolphis can use all the defensive back help they can get.

26) Baltimore Ravens: Vontate Davis, CB, Illinois. On talent alone he should go higher here but he hasn't always lived up to his potential and has questionable character. That should be a non-issure on a Ray Lewis led defense.

27) Indianapolis Colts: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss. The Colts could go a couple different directions but Jerry is too good a value here and a great fit as a penetrating tackle.

28) Houston Texans: Alex Mack, C, California. The Texans have done a pretty good job of rebuilding their offensive line but they still have a hole in the middle at center. Mack is the best in his class and should help keep Schaub healthy.

29) New York Giants: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers. This pick could wind up belonging to Cleveland in which case someone like Larry English or Conor Barwin could end up here. For now, the Giants need a big receiver to replace Burress and Britt has a ton of potential.

30) Tenessee Titans: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland. The Titans don't have a true #1 receiver and and DHB has as much potential as anyone in the draft to be one.

31) Arizona Cardinals: Donald Brown, RB, Uconn. Should be a good fit for the Cardinals offense. Brown can catch out of the backfield and would be a good compliment to James and Hightower.

32) Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT, San Jose St. Adds some youth and athleticism to the Steelers front 3.

Jets Draft
    1. Knowshon Moreno, RB, UGA
    2. Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC.
    3. Fili Moala, DE/DT, USC.
    4. TJ Lang, OL, Eastern Michigan.
    4. Richard Quinn, TE, UNC.
    5. Scott McKillop, ILB, Pittsburgh.
    6. Terrance Knighton, DT, Temple.
    7. Kevin Ellison, S, USC

2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Nice mock i got one thats comin out in a little bit thats similar.The more u think about the trade with den and jax makes a lot of sense , Denver needs a new face to replace Cutler and Orton just isnt gonna cut it.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's a very good top 10. Although given the needs Denver has, I would think they'd stay put, but you never know.. They could land Josh Freeman at #12. And given his big arm, I think he'd be a good fit on a team with Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Tony Scheffler..

I think Andre Smith falls further..

I'm really picky about the Jets pick and I often suggest what most consider to be reaches, but Knowshon Moreno might just be our guy.. Right now I'm considering Kenny Britt there as well. A big trade down (a la with New England for a pair of 2nds or Cleveland for a pair of 2nds) is my ideal situation. But anyway... Yeah... I like the Moreno pick..

I like Andy Reid trading up, but it would cost him the #21 and a 2nd rather than two 1st round picks. I like the thought though.

I love Donald Brown to the Cards..

This is an outstanding first round mock IMO. Well done.

Okay, as for the Jets draft now...

Where do we get another 4th and a 5th from?

I think Nicks will be gone. IMO someone like Ramses Barden or Juaquin Iglesias is more likely to be there.

Fili Moala would be a nice pick, but I'd prefer Clemson's Dorrell Scott who is also a NT/DE..

I'm a very big TJ Lang fan, but I think he'll be gone in the 3rd at least. And I think Knighton goes higher as well, but you never know.

But position-wise, you pretty much nailed the Jets draft and I like the players we get..

Solid job with the Jets too..

4. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

If we got Moreno and Nicks my head would explode.

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Not too bad, not what I would ahve done, but it all makes sense. Bravo.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I like the Jet's selections, but we only have 6 selections , no 5th rd and only 1 4th rd pick.

Nicks and McKillop are wishful thinking they will fall that far.

7. JetFanInPA

The way WRs dropped last year, it could be a real possibility.. In mock I just made, Nicks fell that and it wasn't because I made him either. It just happened

8. jetsfaneh

jetsfaneh New Member

Good but we do not have that many picks. A few reaches in there as well. So the following would be more realistic:

Jets Draft
    1. Knowshon Moreno, RB, UGA
    2. Fili Moala, DE/DT, USC.
    3. Richard Quinn, TE, UNC.
    4. TJ Lang, OL, Eastern Michigan.
    6. Terrance Knighton, DT, Temple.
    7. Kevin Ellison, S, USC

In this scenario there is no WR though which would be a big no no. WR will be addressed in this draft somewhere in the first few rounds. Switch Moala with a receiver (not Nicks as he will be gone) and we have a good draft.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Moala is the second and Quinn in the third are reaches. I don't know if Knighton will last that long.

10. JetFanInPA

OK, if you're going to post a mock draft, make it your own thread so you don't hijack the original poster's..

Moreno looks like our best option value vs. need wise right now..

To make this most realistic, put TJ Lang in the 2nd, Moala in the 3rd and Quinn in the 4th. Like those first four picks alot by the way.. Substitute Dorrell Scott for Fili Moala though IMO.

I think Knighton goes higher.

This would be great, BUT and a big but (a la J-Lo) where's the WR?! We were looking WR BEFORE Coles got cut. Now, if we sign Torry Holt, then this would be terrific.. I might hold off on the TE or OL in favor of a WR

11. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

looks pretty solid. I would be very very happy with Moreno in the first.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I do not think in any way, shape, or form that Denver would take Freeman as thier QB. He does not fit what McDaniels likes. The new Denver QB will need to be able to read defenses quickly, make quick decisions and have a very quick release on the ball. The NE offense the McD comes from offten used short throws and WR screens. None of those traits are strong points in freemans game. If Denver does not take Sanchez they will wait a few rounds on a QB.