Entire coaching staff announced

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Feb 8, 2019.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

fast forward.... january 2022 jets announce jim bob cooter as head coach siting the need for stability in the program which has had 1 winning season since 2010.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"BCA - Best Coach Available"? Figures Macc would go for that. But anyone who has followed team sports for any length of time will know that simply assembling the best talent on paper together doesn't mean having a good team. Chemistry is at least as important as talent. There are a number of red flags with this staff, beginning of course with the Gase-Williams dynamic, and even Gase's rep as "doesn't play well with others" attitude. We can only hope they put aside their issues and focus on working together to be the best, but there is good chance this all blows up, especially if the Jets continue losing.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we don’t have a winning season in the next 3 years than darnold will be a bust and a new gm will be naming a new coach

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the more i read about this new staff and the entire hiring process including gase leads me to believe the jets are never going to get a coach like parcells ever again. not that he was the second coming but he demanded respect from everyone and was a proven winner. its always going to be the mid tier retreads or first timers that are attracted to and get the job.

do think there is a better than even chance this blows up worse than kotite within 3 years.

shame for a franchise starved for success in the biggest media market.

CBG, Since1969, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The biggest concern is you hope Gase learned from his first stint. At times, it takes a coach to get fired to correct the flaws they had previously. Some fix their flaws and some don't. A lot of great coaches get fired in their first stint. Gase's Dolphins won A LOT of close games for a team, that quite frankly wasn't that talented.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It appears Gase might have the same mindset as MacCagnan when it comes to building his staff. Collecting talent without much thought to how they'll work as a TEAM.

It'll be a shame if this blows up in Gase's face all because he decided to put his father in law & I'll put it bluntly Gregg Williams' enemy on his staff.

I don't see what else to call someone who says things like that about Gregg Williams. He's certainly not a friend or a good co-worker.

ColoradoContrails and alleycat9 like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed we can only hope they rise above the old issues. On the other hand, under TB the rumors were of one happy family over and over, which did zippo on the field. I rather have tension and passion, than massive incompetence in a happy home.

#87 LAJet, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Jets81 and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

and to add something........it also goes to show how desperate the NFL is to find young coaches that not only have the football experience and intelligence but can deal with the grind, the media, and everything else that comes with the positions.

so you young folks that played HS football and some that may have even sniffed the college field have a 1 way ticket to the NFL sidelines in 10 years IF you have no baggage and can deal with moving every 1-2 years. Wish i was younger. Dang.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Thank God for Hockey and Baseball as I am NOT excited at all about Football --> Mac hires Gase --> Gase hires staff----CBG sigh

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This is a coaching staff that is really hard to root for. Full of young, arrogant, loud and narcissistic jerks. It could really implode badly. Fortunately for them the Jets should be pretty good despite the coaching. This is a pretty talented team absent OL and edge rusher. Adding an edge rusher, improving the OL along with an improving Darnold should make us very good despite the coaches.

I can see a scenario where we underachieve the next 2 years and play. 500 football with a horrible CS and culture being carried by Darnold whereby everyone in the CS and FO are let go at the end of 2020.

Kris 15 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe, but we had a coaching staff full of nice guys over the last 4 years that got us nowhere. Maybe we need a few hardass coaches to get the most out of the roster. As long as they do their job(DC coaches the D, OC grabs coffee for Gase, OL coach coaches tye OL, etc....) it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Noam likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Without solid results by 2020, I can't see the justification in keeping Macc, Gase or anyone else presently on the CS. I'm sure Chris Johnson, that well known football savant, will assure us he's doing everything in his power to return the Jets to greatness.. Except hiring a Vice Pres of Football Ops that actually knows how to build a football franchise..

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Thing about coaches that are jerks is that it has a short shelf life. Coaching through fear with a little luck and talented roster might get you a good year like Manginis 1st year but eventually it catches up with you and players do not buy in and do not play with effort and passion.

Being a hardass only works if you have the earned reputation and charisma to get player respect. Otherwise it is a sure ticket to a coaching change.