End of An Era Is Not The End Of Our Franchise

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

Jets fans should be thankful that we are moving in this direction...again. The last time we ventured into rebuilding territory, it produced 2 division titles, 4 trips to the playoffs, and 3 Quarters of an AFC Championship. Parcells gave us instant, well-deserved credibility, even when "rebuilding" around Vincenzo. Groh coached one of the greatest games in Jets lore. And Herm, for all the boneheaded decisions, still held the reins to a team that offered us optimism every opening day that he was here.
    Obviously, most of us have lost hope for the near-future. If you haven't yet, I'd like a giant hit of whatever you're smoking. The '06 Jets are only going to be bad in a small picture kind of way. The FO is going to be dedicated to producing a competetive team that contends for a decade, once the team is assembled. You just have to ride out the upcoming bad seasons, which won't last nearly as long as the last time. Remember '87-'98?! I do. I used to tell people I was a Jets fan and they'd offer me their spare change.
    Every year (after next year), we should be an improved team. Chances are great that we won't see the playoffs for another 2 years. However, around the same time we're ready to move into a new stadium, we could be that perennial blockbuster we all want to believe we can be overnight.
    Let's face it, the Parcells/Edwards teams of high-potential had their best chance end in Pittsburgh last year. They gave us many great memories and exciting games, but it's over. And unless you're in your 80's, 90's, or 100's, you WILL be alive to see the Jets be comptetive again and perhaps, dominant. Time goes by so fast, you won't even remember these bad years once the good ones start pouring in.
    I am looking forward to the future, because the present is rooted too deeply into the past. My loyalty is to the New York Jets, not any one Jet. If San Francisco can get over Joe Montana playing in Kansas City, I can certainly get over John Abraham or Chad Pennington or Fabini or anyone else playing somewhere else. Rebuild an offensive line that will make Brady Quinn the most protected qb in the nfl in '07. And D'Brickshaw Ferguson would be a great start to this mentality.

You're only supposed to NOT FIX something when it's not broken. In my opinion, this overhaul is happening a year late. Right now, we're not broken. We're non-existent.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

ummm ok im in

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:rofl: Good post. I agree.:up:

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

You are probably right that it was fixed a year late, but I'm glad we went as far as we did last year and this year would have been different if not for Pennington being toast. Maybe not Superbowl better, but not 4-12. I am totally excited about the new regime. They are doing all the right things. This team is already better and we haven't signed a player!

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

hindsight is 20/20...

it was a year late?? thats not the tune we were whistling...i recall people talking superbowl and we were going to dethrone the pats....if the jets blew up the team after last years playoff loss this place would of went absolutely apeshit....it wasnt a year late...its right on time

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Who talked about Super Bowl last year? Dethroning the Patriots? That is crazy. :)

7. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

This rebuilding was NOT a year late. Or do you think the team needed to be rebuilt coming off a season that saw the Jets within a kick of the AFC championship?

8. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

I meant in hindsight. Of course I loved the team we were fielding in September and thought like everyone else, we were going to threaten the Pats. I'm just telling you that if we knew then what we knew now...we'd already be one year into the rebuilding and the fans would optimistically be seeing the joy in that. It's always hard to face the first year, but it's something every team needs to face once in a while. And now's our time.

9. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Technically speaking the accomplishments of the playoff years were unreal.I never thought much of Herm or his ability to properly train coach and motivate players.I am all for rebuilding as long its done as a whole and not in pieces.When you are a lifelong fan you kind of are used to disapointment and letdown.The true question we all must ask ourselves,can it really get any worse?

10. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

After our performance in '04 it wasn't a crazy idea.

11. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I still think it won't take a few years, we will be contenders next season.

12. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Speak for yourself, a lot of posters were forecasting problems this year. Not to the magnitude that occurred, but I thought this team was a 6-8 win team even with healthy Chad.

13. Condiment King

Condiment King New Member

Unlike baseball, I think the NFL requires less overall consistency than many sports because of the shorter schedule. When you couple a 4th place team schedule with alot of ideas that haven't been tried out yet and perhaps a little luck, I don't even think the 2006 Jets could be as bad as people are anticipating. You have to remember that the injury-plagued 2005 Jet team that was being trotted out isn't even the same caliber as the salary cap sucked rookie team that will begin the 2006 season.

Virtually every season has at least one or two out-of-nowhere surprise playoff teams. I could easily see the Jets being one of them in 2007, assuming that the full blown reboot is effective.