Eagles must move on from Wentz and stick with Foles

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by SOXXX2, Dec 23, 2018.

1. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Foles just won his fourth straight elimination game, has now beaten the Rams and Texans who were both #2 seeds coming into the games, bringing his record to 5-0 against playoff teams since the playoffs last year. Meanwhile Wentz's record against winning teams this year sits at 1-5 including two huge losses to the Cowboys.

Foles has been better, has been clutch, and has shown up for the big games, Wentz has not, and does not deserve to be the starting QB for the Eagles going forward anymore.

2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed, Wentz hasn't been the same since the injury. It might be in their best interest to trade him and roll with Foles.

3. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Just read that Pederson assured Wentz that he is starter when he gets back, are the Eagles out of their mind? Imagine starting Wentz in the playoffs and they lose? I think they HAVE TO let Foles play out the season and postseason, Wentz should not see the field again until next year, and not on the Eagles.....Wentz on the bench would be a lot better than Wentz starting and losing after all that Foles did...regardless Foles gives them a much better chance at winning anyway so I am not sure what Pederson is thinking. (Of course if Wentz comes in and wins then Pederson is justified but I don't see them winning)

This whole thing is intriguing, the other issue right now though is the Bears essentially can pick who they will play, if they want the Vikings, then they lay down next week, if they want Philly, they beat the Vikings. The Bears can still catch the Rams but i'll be honest, if I am Chicago I do not want anything to do with the Eagles right now. I would be watching the scoreboard and if the Rams start beating up on the 49ers than I am letting the Vikings win.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

IDK Sox, career sample wise, he has not been that great. Wentz has far more potential, and if he comes back to 100% health, you have to start him imo.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Can you provide evidence of Foles's superiority without bringing up wins and losses? Because those even out in the long run.

6. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Sell high. Half the teams in the league would give up a crap-ton for Wentz.

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It's sox so the answer is no. It's like my best friend who's a Denver fan trying to convince me 6 months ago that What's his nuts is an elite qb lol

8. Sam Hammer

I can see the Giants trying to trade for Wentz already.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Unless they're getting Barkley or Beckham back I don't see the Eagles trading Wentz to their arch-rivals 100 miles up the Turnpike (even then I have my doubts). It could blow up in their faces for 10 or more years.

To be honest, I think it's much more likely that they let Foles go than that they give up on Wentz.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I Disagree 1000%

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Can you also see the Giants trying to trade for Darnold because that’s just as likely.

Harpua likes this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

This guy Foles has had a remarkable career.

He's done some amazing amazing things yet two years ago anyone that wanted him could've signed him, he's the backup QB this year.

He might just have that IT that magic to win big games, step up in the clutch.

Wentz is clearly the more talented QB. Wentz has to win a Super Bowl to make that team his again. He has to stay healthy too that's a big part of the deal.

13. Sam Hammer

Not really. Darnold isn't coming off a torn ACL along with a fractured vertebrae and his back up isn't a super bowl winner. I can see the Giants trying to trade for whichever one of the 2 that the Eagles move on from because either one of those guys would help the team quite a bit.

14. Rollo Tomassi

They wouldn’t have to trade for Foles, he’s a FA.

Philly would have to sign Foles to a massive contract extension in order to trade Wentz.

That’s not happening.

And even if it did, they aren’t trading him to a division rival.

johnny likes this.
  15. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

16. Sam Hammer

I agree that it's extremely unlikely. I was listening to Eagles radio over the weekend and apparently he's got a mutual option for 2019. It's a $20m option that both him and the team have to accept.

I can't see that happening unless he wins the Superbowl again and the Eagles DO decide to move on from Wentz. They won't, it's smart for the Eagles to stick with Wentz, but it would suck to lose a Superbowl winning QB for nothing.

Maybe they pick up the option and then trade him to Jacksonville.

17. Rollo Tomassi

The cap hit would be formidable.

He’s gone. Unless he decides to take a massive home town discount to be a back up.

18. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Signing Foles and trading Wentz is what they should do. But they won't. Everyone still seems to think that Foles is a fluke and Wentz "won't stay injured forever" but that is a fool's reasoning. Let's face it, Wentz can't stay healthy. If you think he is the future of your franchise then what have you been watching the last 2 seasons? The Eagles rally around Foles. He comes up big in big games and is definitely worth franchise money, especially if you can get multiple 1st rounders for Wentz.

19. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything except that I don't think teams would go for Wentz, and that's more indicative of how far he has fallen, which is also why I don't think keeping Wentz is the "smart" choice like people are saying. If the Eagles can get a sucker to bite for Wentz, I'm kicking him to the curb and building around Foles.

But again, I don't see any team giving up more than a 2nd rounder for Wentz, they would be very lucky to get a first rounder. It's also clear, alot of Wentz's success has more to do with the system and team he's on, he's not the talent people made him out to be.

20. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Bears have a great defense and are playing home.