Draft order concerns versus Darnold's progress. Were you happy with the win today?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Were you happy with the win today?

1. Yes

72.3%
  2. No

13.4%
  3. Not sure yet

14.3%
  1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I hope Sam reaches the point in his development that he has the ability to say F that guy (Bates or whoever replaces him if he's also terrible) on the fly, "Nope. Not doing that. I'm doing THIS." And does it successfully. Meaning if he sees something much better, that he improvises and gets it done. That aside, that scramble yesterday was fantastic. I almost couldn't believe it didn't result in an INT. His play in the second half keeps the fire alive in my bosom that Sam is gonna be really damn good. Pinch me so I'm sure it's real. I'm really happy that he rebounded. It's a very positive sign, and for once youth is not a negative. Meaning, in his case it helps. I think he has the natural smarts to absorb like a sponge so if the chips fall right the sky is the limit when he's only 24 or so. Oh, silly me, this is way to optimistic. The Jets will fck up what's around him. :mad::mad::mad: There, that's better.

ColoradoContrails and donkey like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sam can play. The guys in the game thread yesterday calling him a bust are no where to be found right now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

People on this website had knee jerk reactions and were dramatic to the point of not caring how foolish they look? I don’t believe you.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Anyone calling him a bust is clueless.

As well as Mayfield is playing (and I love Baker-Cleveland got their QB), Sam will be better and he’s better than Rosen, Allen and Lamar

And I also think he’ll be better than Trubisky and Goff with just Mahomes being better-that guy is incredible but he has great coaching and great talent around him. Never thought he’d be THIS good.

boozer32 and LAJet like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

i stayed away from the game day thread for exactly that reason.

The world is crazy enough.

6. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Once we drafted Darnold, I promised to never hope to lose again for a better draft pick. This kid needs to learn what winning feels like, and there are no guarantees what haul a 1st gets you. It's different every year.

7. BroadwayAaron

I can't make a prediction yet, but I hope he turns out to be Goff. The similarities are strong, and now it's up to the front office to continue the trends. Goff was awful his first year, worse than Sam. Then they cleaned house, brought in a young and progressive staff, spent money, made trades, surrounded him with talent (oh, and drafted the best RB in football). That's the next step. If we can give Sam those things I have no doubt he will be a top QB. But we need to do it ASAP.

100% agree. This is exactly my thought process. We have the centerpiece, building confidence and seeing progress is SO SO SO much more important than your next draft pick.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sam will be better then Baker once Sam gets an upgrade in the coaching department. Baker has been really good, he's surprised me, but Sam has played far tougher secondaries this season.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Sam is 4 and 6 throught 10 starts. 12 tds 15 picks. Get him some better coaching and better talent I believe we have found our answer. Now just get him the support he needs.

10. BroadwayAaron

And not to downplay the INTs, but how many of those were just awful chuck and pray throws? Not that it's an excuse, but those are rookie mistakes. There have been maybe a handful of picks where you scratch your head and go "what the hell was he thinking" but there have been just as many that were the product of trying to make too much happen.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Knowing the Jets, they'll find a way. Mine's in mid-July, and I think they've found a way to fuck it up before just before the start of TC.

donkey likes this.
  12. Thing w Mayfield is what you see is what you get.Hes already got a good team around him,already has good fundamentals & has peaked physically. Other than going through reads quicker & just getting acclimated to the speed of the game theres not really anywhere for him to go developmentally.While hes been good nobody is mistaking him for a top 5 or even top 10 QB. On top of that He shows acouple flaws that might not be correctable.

With Sam hes 2 years younger & has room to improve physically in terms of strength & mechanics. Thats before the notion of the team & coaching getting better around him.This is a player just tapping the surface of what he can become & he already has the maturity,poise & skillset to lead an NFL team to a comeback win on the road on a bad foot.

13. NCJetsfan

I disagree. In the grand scope of the Jets' future and Sam's career, it IS meaningless. The Jets would be MUCH better off drafting in 1st place, and being able to trade down and add a 2nd and 3rd round pick, if not more. The players those picks represent not only can, but should help the Jets' future and Sam's career one heck of a whole lot more than a meaningless win yesterday. This will be even more true if that win means that Mac and Bowles will be back.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Spot on, but we're wasting our time and energy. Some posters are just too dense to understand the rationale.

GQMartin likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

I agree, and I think Baker will bring stability to the Browns organization, however the Jets need a lot more. We need someone that can play beyond the shitty play-calls and has that innate instinct to make something out of absolutely nothing. Darnold really is just a big ball of clay out there.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Sams had, I’d say, another 4-5 easy picks dropped because he hit linebackers right in the hands. Honestly, he does need to take better care of the ball. He could easily be at 12-18 or 12-20 right now. The conversation would be different if defenders weren’t defenders for a reason.

I understand that some of the 15 were out of pure desperation to try and make things happen, but he’s thrown the ball directly to the defense too many times. He’ll obviously get better at reading the defenses he sees and he’ll start to clean this up. Better coaching will go a long way.

I still expect big things from him based on what I’ve seen, and agree that they just need to build around him, starting from the GM down.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

Agree to disagree I guess. I don't see how a failed comeback attempt helps a 21-year-old rookie more than a successful comeback does.

Question for the thread: when was the last time a "meaningless" Jets win cost us a legit stud, top tier first round player?

18. NCJetsfan

It isn't only QBs that teams covet and trade up for. I'm sure that more than one team would love to add Bosa, Allen or Ferrell as an edge rusher. Some team with a weak interior D would might even look to trade up for one of the DTs, plus I think there may be a highly rated CB or two that teams might covet.

We don't have to be drafting first to trade back, but we'd get more picks and it would give us more options. This team needs all the help and options it can get.

19. NCJetsfan

Yes, draft days have been among the worst days in the history of the franchise, there's no mistaking that! Still, when that is the only real hope that one has for improving the team around Sam and hoping that he develops, one can't just dismiss draft day. Sam can play very well, but the team still lose every game because of Bowles passivity/conservatism offensively, the team not being prepared and his D collapsing. I don't think that Mac or our next GM will be drafting a QB, so don't know where that came from. Incidentally, there are quality LTs available this year.

20. 101GangGreen101

Apparently people still bitch about beating the Titans a few years back, costing the Jets, Mariota.

Mariota ain't looking so good right now.