Does this franchise have any idea or direction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 17, 2018.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

As a 40 year old Jets fan I’ve lived through few “ups” and many more “downs”. The consistent problem is the lack of direction/ commitment and the inability to identify and develop young talent.

Let’s rewind to last week. The Jets publicly we’re all in on Kirk Cousins and were said to be willing to give him whatever he wanted. First off, that’s not a very good way to negotiate anything, let alone a NFL contract. They lose Kirk, personally I wasn’t upset about that. But then the organization makes a quick, reactive move by resigning Josh Mc to a 10M deal. A waste of money if you ask me. Then they make the move that I thought made some sense. A prove it deal to a young promising QB coming off an injury: I thought, if healthy this could be th guy!

17M to the QB position for 2018, maybe we pick up a QB with one of our 2-2’s or maybe Hack finally takes a snap? What I do know is that we have a TON of holes to fill and haven’t really made any movement on the FA front to sure them up.

Then today happens. The Jets were obviously shook when they saw the Bills aquire the Bengles 12 for Corey Glenn and the Bills 21. This gave Buffalo the ammo to get up to 4 if they chose, who keep in mind signed AJ and have a young QB in Peterman. Result of today was pure desperation IMO

Say we get our guy in 6 weeks: great. Do we carry 3 QB’s? Do we make a 1st round pick inactive? We give up 3 potential starters for a guy that will be wearing a hoodie and baseball cap? Do we waste 7 or 10M and have Josh or Teddy doing the same? Can we even develop said QB, history will tell you NO.

IMO this front office panicked and now put the franchise in an even larger hole. These twats have no clue how to run a businesss

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Read this article. There was always a plan.

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s been a bumpy road no doubt but a little hope and a big move has me looking forward to the future!

NYJetsO12, dogg, westiedog1 and 3 others like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mccown wasn’t a rash decision because they lost out on cousins. I’m betting that contract was written months ago with the understanding that they were going for
    Cousins first. I’m pretty happy with macs direction this year. I’ve waiting for him to take the qb search seriously

TonyFtLaud, Noam, dogg and 4 others like this.
  5. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

There's 5 more threads to post this in!

7. RochesterJet

Yeah you decided to post in it...cool story bro

So tell me how wasting 17M and having 3 QBs makes this team better this year? What holes could we have filled with the 6 and two 2’s this year? Instead of three potential starters we will have one potential QB who will likely see zero snaps this year. Also do you feel confident that this team will develop a QB?

But feel free to add something productive or stick your thumb someplace pal

johnny likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Once Minny got involved, Cousins was never coming here. McCown is a hold-the-fort veteran who we overpaid by a few million dollars. Bridgewater is a cheap flyer with potential. The rookie will be the expected face of the franchise. Petty and Hack are goners. Not too complicated.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Before you get all douchey, please point out the part of your treatise that represents a plan. All I see is whining. But feel free to add something productive or stick your thumb someplace.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it wreaks of desperation because the jets fo has no idea what will be left at 3. if they dont care which guy is there than they have no talent evaluation and are just hoping to get lucky. im just hoping for the right guy, which i think is rosen.

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

With all this sticking thumbs places it looks like it's time for Plan H - Preparation H that is. Shut it down

alleycat9 likes this.
  12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Bro

The jets are a joke

But I can’t get off this ride

If the cubs can win, the jets can win

But that’s 2087

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. Sooner or later we had to pay the piper & take a shot at QB. The price was steep, but looking back over recent history..we got off easy. Sure we could have gotten 3 starters w. those picks..but how many starters/picks is a FQB worth? Maybe not 3 but definitely more than 1.

The franchise needed a starting point offensively & needed the shot in the arm that an exciting young QB presents. This was not a move for the short term..this was bigger than the 2019 season. The QB will be here long after Bowles/Mac leave town.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great article! Thanks for posting it!

NYJetsO12 and playtowinthegame like this.
  15. RochesterJet

All you need to do is re-read it bub, it’s there.

Like I said above: I liked the plan of rolling with Josh, Teddy, Hack and draft pick in 2nd or 3rd. Rudolph, Falk Ferguson come to mind.

Who could have been there at 6? Nelson, Chubb, Fitz type of player. Not sexy but a starter and contribuor. With the 2nds RB like Penny, Micheal or OL, maybe a CB or QB. Receiver in the 3rd.

All I’m pointing out is that I think we panicked when Buffalo positioned themselves for a potential trade up ahead of the 6 after we lost out on Kirk. What if the “guy” the Jets like isn’t on the board? We moved up and gave up 3 starters for 2018 for our second “guy”...not very encouraging, especially from an organization that has NEVER developed a QB (Maybe Pennington).

King Koopa, boozer32 and tbruner12 like this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Read the article, and also understand that they like more than one of the QB's, prolly up to three of them.

It's never as bad as we let our imagination make it to be. Not likely anybody "panicked"

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. When you're a bad team over a large number of years w. no stability at QB along the way you are always gonna wrestle w. keeping picks to fill holes vs. positioning the team for a franchise altering QB. This is because no position is more important, no position has a larger impact on wins-losses & most importantly no position is in higher demand. Sooner or later the team has to take that chance.

This is the 3rd time in 4 years time we earned the 6th pick leaving on the outside looking in at high end QB prospects. This time around it's only magnified the entire ordeal by the strength of the QB class, the low expectations going into this past season & the whole Buffalo/Miami situation...it was time. You don't move to #3 unless you like your top 3 QB's & know for certain "Your guy" is sitting there at 3.

The team is at square one offensively & seems to be trying to carve out an identity. One of the reasons it's been so hard to create that is due to the lack of long term stability at QB. Additionally the media circus surrounding the FQB Quest cannot be sidestepped any longer. It's a disruption that's become bigger than the team.

I was somewhat onboard w. ignoring QB all together if not for nabbing one in round 1. If the team was gonna keep filling holes & see what happened w. Bridgewater or even Hack..so be it. I cringed at the thought of another wasted mid round pick. Those are the guys who usually need a ton of development that the Jets have failed at. Petty,Hack,Mcelroy,Boyd, Ainge,Clements...these names rattle off the tongue. It's like admitting the team has a QB problem but just not willing to address it early b.c of prioritizing another position or simply fear. Those were the picks I wanted to see used on other holes like OL/RB/Pass rusher.

NYJetsO12, J_P_5 and boozer32 like this.
  18. Ralebird

Really? Somebody must have edited your post because it says that signing McCown was a quick, reactive move that was a waste of money. You did say that you liked the Bridgewater signing but nothing else in either of your posts here represents a plan. Perhaps you could repost that which must have been removed.

19. RochesterJet

To be even more clear and rather redundant for you- I would have rather seen us roll with Josh and Teddy at QB. Pick up Chubb, Nelson or Fitz at 6. Nab a RB like Penny or Micheal with one 2 and depending on who we chose with the 6 maybe some OL or CB help with the other 2. So that is my plan you haven’t seen now for the 3rd time.

If you like the idea of throwing away 17M on Josh and Teddy while sending 3 future starters to Indy so we can select another QB to develop who may never see the field: sweet.

What happens when Teddy plays well and earns another deal but we have the “draft choice” to play? Will this draft pick make the active roster? Will we carry 3 QB’s each week? Will we sit a guy with a gurenteed contract in favor of the rookie? Again, why I think they have zero clue and seem to be throwing away money and picks on the hope we hit.... great strategy

J_P_5, amuck57 and tbruner12 like this.
  20. Ralebird

Geez, try to be a little consistent. Overpaid for McCown but you wanted him and Bridgewater anyway? Then you complain about spending 17 million for the two of them - which is it man? They weren't signing for seven million or even ten, even if you thought they should.

I never said three second rounders should have been given up - I disagree completely but draft picks are not the same thing as "future starters." You're saying if traded away that's what they are but if kept they're nothing more than "picks on the hope we hit." The sooner everyone here comes to grips with the fact that a draft pick is a wager the sooner we'll save trillions of pixels from immolation. The only sure thing is that if it's traded away there is zero chance that pick will hit for the team that lost it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.