Does He Make Your Top 5?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by truthbtold, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

As an old timer, Ill go back to Carl Brazaluskis, a defensive lineman. We passed up John Dutton, who became an all pro for the Colts, to take him. And he sucked mightily. Kyle Brady should be on the list, both because of them picking a tight end in that draft (and by passsing Sapp), and because he was a beast with Penn St and did next to nothing with the Jets.

Browning Nagle was another big disappointment - Schnellenberger called him "the best QB I ever coached", but he couldn't get it done. And for those defending Dewayne Robertson - I never saw a guy that big get pushed around as easily as he did. A total bust.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Admittedly I have been watching the Jets for far fewer years than most of you so I have a much smaller baseline of comparison...so, yes, Sanchez makes my top 5, probably my number 1 as well. But, as I said, I've only been a Jets fan for a few years.

3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

JUNC you amaze me. You really do.

Mark Sanchez is easily the most disappointing player we've drafted in the past 40 years. I don't know about everyone else, but for me there hasn't been a single moment in the past 4 years where I thought -- "we've got our guy. We're set for the next 10 years". The best we saw from him were a few brief glimpses that made me think -- "Ok ... maybe this will work out if we don't ask him to do too much".

When you draft a guy #5 overall, you expect to see a dominant football player. Did you ever see that? Did you ever see anything CLOSE to that?? The best we ever got from him is mediocrity, and that's being generous.

The guy plays the most important position on the field ... in a division where you have to duel Tom Brady twice a year ... and your team has made one of the biggest investments in the history of the franchise on him ... and after four years of starting in the league, you can't even trust him to throw more than 15 forward passes a game ... and let's be honest --- every fan is holding their breath with every drop back ... you're going to sit there and try to tell me that's not a disappointment to you? Really? REALLY???

Please ... you or anyone else explain to me ... how can ANYONE be considered a more disappointing player?

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Mike Nugent has to be up there somewhere.

5. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Considering we're 4 years in for a guy that we traded into the top 5 for....and we'd be lucky to get a 7th rounder in return for him....yeah its safe to call him a bust.

You dont walk away from QB's that arent busts. The Jets couldnt give him away right now.

6. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Please. Sanchez is (one of) the worst QBs in the league _this year_. But he's done better in the past, and has managed the team well especially in 2010. Compare that with Vernon "Super-bust" Gholston, the highest-picked first round DE in history to NEVER RECORD A SINGLE FREAKING SACK IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER???

That was the draft where both Jerod Mayo and Aqib Talib were available to the Jets; not to mention DRC and Chris Johnson. And we ended up with this scrub :(

7. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

You can add Keyshawn Johnson to this list. He was a great receiver, but when you draft a guy #1 overall you expect to get more than 4 years out of him.

8. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

It's a simple matter of math. Sanchez was drafted at #5, Gholston at #6. No significant difference in pick value. Now tell me - really - that we got even one tenth of the value from Vernon Gholston that we did from Mark Sanchez.

The Patriots almost never lose shootouts. I'd argue that the way to duel Tom Brady is not (mainly) with another high-powered QB, it's by changing the game, by building a defense that can control him and the Pats. The Jets (yes, even the Tan-gini-s) had the _right plan_, and when Rex finally arrived to coach up this defense we were a very dangerous team. As the guy who should have been the centerpiece of that defensive line, I argue that Gholston was as much a disappointment if not more.

I'm not backing Sanchez, it's time for him to go. But I think people are a little more bitter right now than is necessarily warranted. VG, on the other hand... nothing good to say about that loser, nothing.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Completely agree. What people are forgetting is that the first 2 years he was only asked to manage a game and not screw it up because they had a strong D and top run game. His receivers were open largely because of the run game, not his prowess at QB.

If you recall his first 2 yrs in the league he threw flat-footed, he never stepped into a throw. The question I've had since day 1 has been did he do this because they identified a serious flaw in his accuracy etc. when he did attempt to step into throws or was this his natural style from his college days (I don't really watch much college ball so I can't say). To me him throwing flat-foot was a way to improve his short game accuracy. We've all seen how he makes a ball sail 5ft over a receivers head from as little as 5yds away when he steps into a throw or has happy feet. Its a theory but I think the staff forced him to do this. Once the reigns started coming off and he did step into throws, developed happy feet, etc. his game became exposed. He's never had good field vision even from the beginning. Shotty had the color chart for dummies so he only had to survey 1/2 the field. He still routinely ignores wide open receivers and locks onto 1 target and throws it there regardless of whether its single coverage, double or like last game, triple coverage.

The Sanchez apologist will point to the Eli Manning early years. Eli never had these fundamental flaws so aside from similar stats I don't get why people compare them. They were completely different players.

#49 No Fly Zone, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This thread makes me hope that Sanchez goes somewhere and becomes a Pro Bowler.

11. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

It was the #1 defense in 2009, least amount of yards and and points per game given up. That wasn't a great defense? In 2010 it was 3rd in yards and 6th in ppg. Again a GREAT defense, run game was top 5, and you credit Sanchez with his terrible bottom of the barrel play all year?

You expect people to take you seriously when you talk about "not understanding football", when you ignore all statistics and evidence of how shitty our QB is and just talk about what you remember? What you remember is clouded and fucked up, Sanchez is the same player this year as he was in 2009, only difference is the defense isn't as dominant and the running game not as good, Sanchez is still Sanchez a barely 50% completion % and 70 rated QB. sorry...

#51 dr.velociraptor, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If he does, I won't be a happy camper. Imagine losing to Mark Sanchez in a playoff game if you're the Jets? It would NOT get any worse. That could be worse then the fake spike.

13. xxedge72x

I don't think he actually will go anywhere and succeed... I think he's a shell of what he could have been.

I see Sanchez as a QB who has a boat load of talent who was developed so poorly that they utterly destroyed him mentally. The downfall began when they let Edwards walk in favor of Holmes, and it spiraled from there.

Maybe going somewhere where he can let his natural ability take over might offer him a shot at redemption but its unlikely. Still, like Pennington I'll root for him individually.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't have any problem considering Sanchez one of the most disappointing players the Jets have ever had, but to call him an all-time bust is IMO ridiculous. Despite what some continue to insist, he did have some success here, and it is exactly that point combined with how he has regressed to the level of a bad high school QB that makes him so disappointing.

To compare him with busts like Gholston, who never did anything, is absurd.

15. xxedge72x

Yeah, I don't know any other bust in NFL history who played an integral part of two back to back playoff victories while outplaying future hall of famers at his same position both weeks.

Sorry, but Mark Sanchez is leaving the Jets the all time leader in playoff wins. If he's a bust, that says a whole hell of a lot about the team we root for. :sad:

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i would actually agree that he is. Gholston was by far and away less productive, but even more reason to argue Sanchez is even MORE dissapointing. The kid flashed then totally fell off a cliff. We went from 2 back to back sniffs at the Superbowl to where we are now, and it goes hand in hand with Sanchez's progression then instant regression.

I'm looking at the list of All Time Disappointments....If we are talking straight up busts then that's another convo.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you keep referencing "blown leads"

you know what makes it really easy to blow leads? when your QB cant complete a third down pass leading to 3 and outs, and your QB turning it over. thats the reason we blow so many leads.

you have no clue what you are talking about. it is a travesty that you call anyone else out for their football knowledge, when you know less the anyone here.

defending throwing into triple coverage? blaming the D for blowing a 3 point lead in a game where sanchez had 5 turnovers(where the D allow 0 points off those turnovers).

get over it. you really need to just go fuck yourself and find another forum to post on

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

considering he will never start in the NFL again, that scenario is meaningless

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t put Sanchez on the list unless the list included “player who got a ridiculous contract extension”. Same with Robertson. He was disappointing but he was hurt a lot also. VG was a huge bust and should be near the top.

20. JerseyFrasca

JerseyFrasca New Member