Does Darnold give you the confidence that he is the Savior of Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 15, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thank you for sharing. I watched Darnold's interceptions. I saw some themes:

Interception theme 1: throwing deeper downfield off his back foot, it was short and into the defenders hands
    Interception theme 2: throwing on the run, down the sideline, they are going too high

there were a couple poor decisions and a couple bad plays by the receivers but those will probably always happen. I would work on fixing the two problems with those themes. Maybe even just play structure. I saw like no interceptions on passes across the middle. MORE slants and digs across the middle please

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Who knows. Our opinions are hope, or pessimism, so whatever. Time will tell. Besides, its not just his talent, its the coaching and the players we surround him with. What's the point of this thread? We don't know and probably wont know his ceiling for a couple of years.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He needs to be more patient in zone coverage, I think Darnold struggled the most in those situations where he just didn't see the linebacker. The Kiko pick specifically was a tough one to swallow.

I don't ever remember Darnold struggling against primarily man coverage defenses.

BrowningNagle and FJF like this.
  6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He can run around. Nice job. He sucks with throwing the ball accurately and making good decisions. Better?

7. PennyandtheJets

Where are you getting your stats from? Josh Allen had 1 Rushing TD and 0 Passing TDs vs the Jets. He was scrambling all over the place and completed 50% of his passes. He also threw 2 INT's.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He's talking about the Dolphins. But regardless, Allen is trash.

9. PennyandtheJets

Right. This isn't a "I am right, you are wrong scenario." I just don't see it with Allen. He doesn't look like an NFL QB and I don't think he will last. Until he starts to prove me wrong, my mindset will not change.

10. BroadwayAaron

I don't even know where this convo started but I sure hope it wasn't a discussion about which QB inspired more confidence in 2018... because anyone mentioning Allen over Darnold should have been banned by now. Allen was an abysmal thrower and he's never been a good one. There's not a single thing that suggests he can become anything more than a running QB that will on occasion, hit an open receiver or chuck and pray.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well if you read a thread before commenting on it you would have your answer but it is more fun to randomly through some other shit into the mix instead I guess.

It was about somebody rating Rosen above Allen, when one of those candidates actually did nothing and the other actually did do somethings well.

12. PennyandtheJets

Right, but again, I am looking at them as prospects not just basing everything on this past season.

13. BroadwayAaron

Well then I guess my hopes were confirmed and there's no Darnold/Allen issue.

I take Rosen 9 times out of 10 and that 10th time I probably just hit the wrong button or something.

14. BrowningNagle

It isn't a "I am right you are wrong" scenario. I hope I'm wrong here. Obviously cause fuck the bills. But the kid looked good down the stretch. Someone could make the argument that he brought more to his team than Darnold did with his athleticism and I mean he didn't even have Robby Anderson to throw to. Reuben Foster was his main target. yeah... who?

Allen might be good. And yeah, I was talking about Gase's dolphins that he embarrassed in week 17. 5 touchdowns is 5 touchdowns. That's not easy. and that's not something a "trash" QB usually does

15. BroadwayAaron

What did he bring down the stretch that didn't involve his legs? After he came back from injury he completed 52% of his passes for 8 TDs and 7 INTs. He's not going to survive being a Cam Newton-esque player if he can't throw the ball even half as well as Newton. He'll make plays with his legs but that's just not sustainable.

Also if you watched McCown play, then watched the team with Darnold after he came back and think Allen brought more to the Bills than Darnold to the Jets, I dunno man... Darnold was a legit, well-rounded, pro QB those last few weeks. There wasn't much he didn't do well.

16. K'OB

So like I said earlier on what justification does Rosen deserve this, he has looked fucking awful and absolutely no movement in the pocket at least Allen has done something, it doesn't matter how many times you scream he can't pass, he has at least done something in a game, Rosen has bombed.

Also like I said earlier, I am no way a particular fan of Allen and I didn't want him here in the slightest, I just can't understand what is bordering on hatred for a kid, it is almost solidgoldbowlesesque on Mayfield in its intensity.

17. K'OB

I know that now but like I said your earlier post did just that for Sam and Mayfield, you compared them on this seasons efforts and not future projection, anyways it is a silly row as I don't want Allen at the Jets anyway lol

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

If you score 5 touchdowns in one game does it matter if you throw it or run it in?
    How about if you are averaging 300+ yards per game like he did the final 6 games? does it matter how it gets done?

Results are results. And, he was throwing to the likes of Reuben Foster and Deonte Thompson out there. Now of course Darnold looks like a better thrower of the football. But athletically Allen blows him out of the water. Ultimately though, I'm not even arguing who is better. I think they are both pretty good young quarterbacks. the statement was made that Allen is "trash" - - that's obviously not true

---

and what the hell does Josh Mcclown being a joke have to do with Sam Darnold or Josh Allen????????

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I don't think Allen is very good but he played a lot better than I thought he would.

And he's not Hack 2.0--he fixes some mechanical issues and he could be REALLY good.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If you have nothing to say, why do you feel the need to prove it? Bro?