DeSean Jackson Signs with Redskins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Truth4U2, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Trade a 3rd round pick for DeSean Jackson?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2014.
  1. Yes

50.9%
  2. No

37.1%
  3. Unsure

12.0%
  1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I'll bet during the season some of you is going to wish we signed Jackson.

2. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I wished we signed him right now.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I notice you are a big fan of not doing anything.

Until they do something. Then you are all for it.

Jusayin.

4. Big Blocker

For context here, I have no idea if DC is where Jackson wanted to go, beccause if it is, you can add in the motivation factor as a given. The guy gained nearly 1400 yards last year. No other player that the Jets might possibly have obtained at wideout, a crying need for the Jets, has more talent, including Decker. But he may merely have wanted to play for DC more, especially after what Philly said about him after they cut him.

But all this homer nonsense that he would not have been good for the Jets or cost too much is self serving bs. If the Jets had signed him, the same homers would be posting how Idzik did a great job, and had been saving his ammo or some such crap for such a move.

Well he's still sitting on plenty of ammo. I will say that for him.

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well Snyder is actually the owner but I guess there isn't a huge difference since Snyder is pulling the strings.

Don't group people who are not a fan of bringing in a big name high priced FA that isn't necessary with people who think the Jets can do no wrong. I've been on this board long enough to know there are waaay more people on this board who will trash the Jets no matter what than people who will praise the Jets no matter what anyway.

If the Jets signed Jackson I would have been surprised and disappointed, and said so. What I've said the whole time is that DeSean could help the Jets on the field, but spending that much on a contract for Jackson will limit what we can do a year or two from now. Spending $8+ million per year on a guy who's skill set is identical to a WR we can draft and have for 4 years at a fraction of that, or numerous other WR prospects. If he had come to the Jets, and been a pro bowl player and helped us make a deep playoff run this year, next year, and the year after, I would eat my words on this board. But I can tell you, I wouldn't have been happy if he came here.

Is we gonna?

Not every player who has a career year have particularly good work ethic, and missing meetings is not usually a good sign. That is besides the point, though, because the reason this is a bad move is because Washington hasn't been able to infuse first round talent into their team in two years now. That was something they had to accept when they made that trade to get RGIII, and overpaying FA on top of that is a really quick way to screw up you cap situation for years. They signed aging DeAngelo Hall to a pretty big contract, the signed Santana Moss back, and they signed Jason Hatcher to a big contract already this offseason, with relatively little cap room to begin with. Now they add in another player with a big contract... Like I said we'll see, but even if the Redskins do well this year I'd be VERY surprised if the consensus is that it was still a good signing for the duration of the contract.

Axel3419 likes this.
  6. Big Blocker

First of all I am no fan of Snyder, but you could say the same thing about Woody and the Jets. The simple fact of the matter is you have no idea whether Snyder has more influence over the Skins and a move of this sort than, say, Woody did when the Jets got Tebow. I don't think around the league that Woody's reputation is any better than Snyder's. For some it's probably worse.

So there's that.

For myself I don't notice long time posters here other than perhaps Champ who have nothing good to say about the Jets, any moves they make. So I disagree with your math on that one. I notice people who are skeptical of the Jet FO tend to stop posting in the off season, while the FO homers are hear pretty consistently.

As for a contract for Jackson, you do not know if signing him would screw up some big plans two or three years from now. That's really a non-issue until the facts show otherwise. The Jets are well below their cap space, and could easily have afforded Jackson.

And no rookie, even if a first round pick, is anywhere near guaranteed to play up to Jackson's current level. You don't even know that the Jets will use a first round pick at wideout.

The Jets have three huge needs. OL, wideout, and CB. They have one pick in the firsrt round and one pick in the second. Second round picks in the past have included such people as Stephen Hill and Vlad Ducasse. I can even mention Smith here. And third round picks??? Schlagel? Remember him? How about Brian Winters?

Even first round picks have included role players like Kyle Wilson, not to mention Mark Sanchez.

Signing Jackson would have greatly lessened the pressure on the Jets to fill all the holes they need to. It would have been a move nearly all the homers here would have applauded if it had been made. Since it was not made the homers like that, too. In fact they love another non-move. Sitting on one's hands was never so popular as it seems to be with some around here.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. I'm under the weather myself. Flue/Sore throat. May be the next signing will bring a smile to our face. Feel better

8. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

So we could've had a legit contender and still had about 10-15 million in cap room left had we signed DRC & DJax. Now we have two huge holes to fill (not to mention others elsewhere), and an extra 15 million in cap room we'll never end up spending. So frustrating.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Are you still on this train? It is OBVIOUS that Idzik is not looking to drop a ton of money on one guy, especially one with a potential troubling past. How many times are you and other posters going to post this before you realize you are being redundant?

tiger8mush likes this.
  10. Mr. Green Pants

Poll has 99 "No" votes. Plenty of people on record against the move before he signed with the 'Skins.

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Yea, too bad we didn't give 30 million guaranteed to a locker room cancer/guy who hangs out with gang members, and a CB coming off of 1 good year who wanted to retire 4 months ago.

What is Idzik thinking?

nycarl and tiger8mush like this.
  12. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

unacceptable in my opinion. That's all I can say.

13. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Well, things in the NFC East have certainly got more interesting

14. MaximusD163

Ok, here we go again. First of all, it's not about screwing up "some big plan" two or three years from now. The front office is aware, as every Jets fan should be, that 2014 (maybe 15, maybe) is not their best chance at winning a SB. We are an improving team but we still are short on talent. The best way to stockpile talent when you have a proven talent evaluator is through the draft, because it is the cheapest and most malleable. FAs often are overvalued for a number of reasons, they have agents negotiate like madmen for them, and most know they are going into a contract year so you are going to see the best play out of them BEFORE they sign their new contract. Drafted players are constantly trying to establish themselves as successful NFL players, and guys who are on short term deals are always close to needing a new contract. Add in that if you sign a player to a large contract, you are obligated to play them with everything tied up in them, and there is no threat to their job security. When you have competition for playing time between your players, you bring out the best in them. Very few players will get a halfway decent contract from the bench. For these reasons, you want to build throughout the draft. Franchises have all of the leverage over drafted players, but not nearly as much over FA signees.

What you have to understand is the Jets don't have any "holes," they have stronger corps and weaker corps. When you think of it that way, every draft pick strengthens the corp to which he belongs at least a little bit. With 12 picks, but only 8 main corps, there's no reason we can't add something to each corp and then some. If a 6th or 7th traded away allows us to move a little and get a guy we really like, so be it.

Some talent is not going to be nearly as sure-fire or productive as a particular FA would be. You among many other people say this is the case with DeSean Jackson. I agree with that, but you shouldn't commit to long term deals with high priced players who will be passing their prime just as you are finally a SB contender. That is why the real contenders made the moves when they did: Seahawks trading for Harvin, The 49ers having interest in Jackson, the Broncos signing Wleker last year and Sanders this year, the Patriots signing Revis and Browner. These are all win now moves, and the Jets are not able to win now even with the addition of Jackson. No Brandin Cooks will probably not receive for 1400 yards in 2014, but lets be real, neither would DeSean Jackson if he came to the Jets. Don't you see, if the Jets signed Jackson, they'd have two guaranteed starters, and any drafted WR would have next to no playing time the next few years. No rookie would have the impact Jackson would have in 2014, but they might in 2015, 2016, and 2017, heck maybe even more productive that Jackson by then and way cheaper. Why sign Jackson and totally offset every bit of value we could get out of the deepest WR class in years?

This is really what the issue is, it's that people think DRC and DJax would have made us contenders. I laugh at that, because it's just not true. To compete with the Giants for DRC we would have had to commit to him for years, which is just a bad move on every level. Congrats Giants, you just signed a player who has been good 2 out of the 6 years he's been in the league for 5 years! At that rate you'll have a good CB for a year and a half out of those 5, damn I sure wish I was a Giants fan. Besides, I'd rather have my back against the wall when negotiating Mo Wilk's extension, yay!

tiger8mush likes this.
  15. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

DeSean Jackson’s contract is a 4-year, $32M deal that voids to 3 years, $24M. $5M signing bonus. $8M avg per year. $4.25M ’14 cap number.

16. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Funny when you get the Jets fans that turn their noses up to guys like Desean Jackson and praise GMs for clearing and maintaining cap space. They're usually the same guys who act like they're smarter than everyone else when they suggest we draft an OL in the 1st round. Cap space doesn't win championships. The players you acquire with it does. We've turned our noses up to player after player this offseason but hey...at least we got Eric Decker right? It'll be fun watching him NOT get open all year with no Peyton Manning to make him look better than he is. Idzik is a bad draft away from crippling this team. There's a difference between being fiscally responsible and flat out cheap. But I'm sure someone will swoop in and tell me how dumb I am and how smart Idzik is.

Jets Fans typically mirror Knicks Fans. Act like the best player on your team is your biggest problem and vilify him for wanting to be compensated (Revis/Anthony). Praise scrub role players and glorify them (Leonhard/Prigioni). Praise a GM for clearing cap space (Walsh/Idzik). Then watch your team use said cap space on a very underwhelming signing (Decker/Uninsured Amare contract).

I'll give Idzik the benefit of the doubt. He still has time and the draft to get things done, but I gotta be honest. This story is looking all too familiar. I'm just exhausted. I've been a Mets, Jets and Knicks fan my entire life. Can we just win something dammit! lol

(pardon my ranting)

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I agree with everything you said...but you are right about those that won't.

18. Franchize

Lol I know. I just don't like when people act like they're smarter fans simply because they say no to FA. It's like being the ugly chick at the bar and giving the one dude nice enough to buy you a drink an attitude. At some point, SOMEBODY has to get paid. I'm not saying it should be DRC because personally I think he's slightly overrated. I'm not saying Desean Jackson is the best receiver in the game. But damn. Don't get on your high horse and but then try to sell me Eric Decker. Furthermore, when you do stuff like that, I think it hurts you i negotiations with your own quality players (just my humble theory). As a free agent, I'd be more apt to re-sign at a reasonable dollar amount if I see you bringing in quality players around me. Be if you're not bringing in talent, I want to be paid handsomely to play for you (See Carmelo Anthony. Knicks fans want him to take a pay cut not realizing Amare n Chandler can opt out this year too). Hate to keep bringing up basketball but as I said, my fellow Jets fans often mirror my fellow Knicks fans. It's time we try something different. Neither team has won a ring in my lifetime.

19. MaximusD163

What do you mean something different? From 2008-2012 the Jets brought in a lot of outside talent, Brett Favre, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Kris Jenkins, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, LaDainian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes, LaRon Landry, Trevor Pryce, Jim Leonhard, Tim Tebow... I know I'm missing some. 2009 we barely snuck into the playoffs, and made a little run, and we had a good year in 2010. Then we had 2 years of miserable suckiness, and were forced tot totally rebuild with a new GM. WE ARE doing something different.

20. Franchize

I didn't mean the GM. I meant the fans. And please don't add Tebow and Leonhard to that list lol. Also, LT, Pryce and Landry were well past their primes.

But that isn't remotely what I'm saying. I'm not saying to go and spend frivolously. I'm saying I'm tired of GMs getting credit for clearing cap before we see who they've signed with said cap space. At the end of the day, I want to see us bring in talented guys when they are available at reasonable prices. I want to see us pass on guys when they are over priced. That's it. I'm not some Madden player masquerading as a sports fan, who thinks we should cut everyone and sign everyone else. That being said, when opportunity knocks, we need to answer the door. I just don't want to see us become that team that never gets talent but always has cap space. I was sold that dream as a Knicks fan and they're about rinse, re-use and recycle it again. I also don't buy into the idea that when you come up short, you have to tear everything down and start from scratch. We were a few pieces away from being serious contenders imo and we went out and got guys like Tebow instead of tackles, OLB and safeties.