Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Look I get all of the fire Bowles people but what I don't understand is the same people wanting to give Macc a free pass. If it's up to me I fully clean house and do things the right way. Both Bowles and Macc have failed us not just Bowles

A head coach alone cannot have a team looking as bad as we do and have for this whole season basically....There's obvious talent and roster construction issues going on here

When he took over Macc had a ton of cap space high draft picks, and some young talent and he simply hasn't delivered.

So I ask you....What has Macc done so far that gives you confidence going forward that he can make things right?

If it's simply 2 years is too soon to call I don't buy it......Tell me why we should keep Macc in charge of this rebuild

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You just can't fire the GM every two years and expect to ever hire anyone worth jack shit ever again. You have to stay the course and let the guy prove his mettle.

3. King Koopa

If the GM looks like he has a clue what the hell he's doing then I would agree

He had a huge part in driving this team into the ground from a decent spot when he took over

tbruner12 likes this.
  4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Better question us why isn't someone tracking Wolfe and Casserly down and lynching these 2 Jerkoffs, for giving us Bowles and Mac?

tbruner12, alleycat9 and Cman68 like this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Because he signed and traded for lots of cool big names when he first got here so everyone started calling him "Magic Mike" and fell in love with him.

And now that all of those signings are going down the shitter everyone is deferring the anger to Bowles. Makes sense.

If you aren't okay with firing Maccagnan, you shouldn't be okay with firing Bowles. IMO, they both deserve another year.

ajax, abyzmul, Vahncase and 5 others like this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ok - I'll just look at OL. [Another glaring hole is LB spot - just so you know how fucked-up this organization is.]

T-Bomb ignored the OL for how long? Actually, 2006 is the only year Jets spent blue-chip pick on a good OL. After that, they had the likes of WFH manning the OL positions. 2006. Okay?

And you expect to fix this shit in 2 years? Are you out of your fucking mind? Jets don't even have good OL coach - like Dante Scarnecchia in NE. That's on Macc too, am I right?

Don't stop there. Look at the underperforming corp - and you will find that Jets somehow have hired some no-name for the position coach. Starting with - Kevin Patullo, QB coach. Brant Boyer, ST coach, etc etc. Actually, it would be easier to see who is doing his fucking job right - that would be Karl Dorrell, WR coach. That's it. And that's on Macc? How?

Brilliant. Just fucking brilliant.

Murrell2878, NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  7. King Koopa

I don't expect anyone to fix everything in 2 years....I expect much better than the shit product that is the 2016 season after 2 years

What great moves has Maccagnan made? We had a ton of cap space and high draft picks when Macc took over and none of it went towards the O-line....Gilchrist Skrine and Revis deserved it more I guess....all 3 have been piss poor moves relative to the money spent

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Nobody is deferring blame from Mac to Bowles. Bowles is the dumbfuck kicking FG's when we need TD's, punting when we need to keep the ball, and looking absolutely incompetent as a coach. Not sure how that is Mac's fault and how fans should be blaming him instead of Bowles for it.

9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The problems is that Bowles can f up and it directly correlates with the product on the field. You can see the error as it's happening. Maybe it's not fair given our current roster but coaching is a crazy job to begin with. Mac has got a little more leeway. It takes a few years to see the results of his management. Plus, he can draft a lot of projects that defer judgement to a later date. Bowles probably deserve the same treatent but no one said life was fair.

10. JetBlue

Jets fans want to win free agency, not the Super Bowl, and Mac delivered.

ajax, FJF and Jets69 like this.
  11. JetBlue

This roster is not talentless. It has holes, and that is on Mac, but it certainly doesn't look like a 4 win roster. But it's a 4 win team because Bowles has no business coaching an NFL team.

Murrell2878 and tbruner12 like this.
  12. King Koopa

Bowles is terrible but what moves has Macc made that you can say were great moves?

I don't want to fire anyone if I feel like they are good for the future of the Jets.....Both Bowles and Macc just haven't done it for me

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What does a GM do? Do you have a slightest idea of what a GM is responsible for? [Obviously it does not look that way at all, but I had to ask. Just to be sure.]

14. JetBlue

I'm not a Mac fan and have been critical of him last year as well. I'm simply stating that the roster, even with his misses, is better than 4 wins. I wouldn't fire Mac for his misses just yet, I'd give him a third year. But Bowles is the main reason we are 4-11 and should be gone for it. I thought this was a 6-10 team coming into the season, which isn't too far off, but it's the level of incompetence in how we get here, not just the record, that reflects how poorly Bowles has done.

tbruner12 likes this.
  15. King Koopa

You're just being condescending and not actually defending Macc which was what this thread was all about

GM's are responsible for player personnel and roster construction among other tasks....tell me what I'm missing

16. King Koopa

Fair enough and I actually agree with the majority of this post

Bowles is terrible and I thought Maccagnan was OK until recently....Just looking for reasons why Macc should be given another chance other than it's only 2 years

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This sums it up! Wait till next season we are in cap hell as of right now, so essentially we have to dump all the GMs overpaid contracts to the FA's he brought in a year ago, just so anybody we manage to sign in the off season well have to drastically overpay for again, the only way this organization can lure players here.

18. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

From what I understand, he's one of the most dedicated talent evaluators out there and he does a ton of research. His 2015 draft was decent with Williams looking like the best player on the Jets and 2 solid role players. So far the 2016 draft looks even more promising with late rounders Burris, Snell, Peake, Anderson all looking like contributors. The goal is to get 2 solid contributors from each draft class and I think he's done that as of now.

It looks like he was brought in to spend all the cap space to have a "competitive rebuild" and we see what happens when you pay veterans a lot of money. If Woody is coming around to allowing an actual rebuild (meaning at least another year or 2 of being bad) then I'm interested in seeing what Mac can offer. I wouldn't fire him unless next year's draft is 2014 Izdik level bad.

PulseJet and Axel3419 like this.
  19. King Koopa

His drafts have overall been solid but nothing amazing.....His free agency decisions have proven to be pretty bad and his handling of the QB position so far looks terrible overall

I think his strengths are in the drafts which is where he has a ton of experience but the other parts of the GM job he has struggled at

He probably won't be fired anyway but I'd like for someone to tell me why of all the potential GM's out there, Macc is the best for us going forward

boozer32 likes this.
  20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Two off-seasons is a small sample size to work with. More importantly, Mac had nothing to do with the decision to hre Bowles.

Can't give the guy an A+ but I have not seen enough to run Mac out of town either.

boozer32 and Matty Jets like this.