Declining the penalty...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by graig.323, Oct 28, 2018.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

How can you even assert that third and 10 is easier to defend than 2nd and 20???? On 3rd and 10, the opponent has to get (at least) 10 yards once. On 2nd and 20, the opponent has to gain TWICE as much yardage--in other words, hypothetically convert TWO 3rd and tens. I have never seen another coach decline that penalty in a close game with so much time left. The jets announcers were surprised Todd Toilet declined that. It underscores how little Todd Bowles understands about coaching and football in general. I REALLY don't think Bowles UNDERSTANDS when to go for it or not, when to accept a penalty, how to manage a clock, etc. When is the last time he yelled at a ref or a player, or had an expression on his face during a game other than his mindless, zombie look? The jets often appear so overmatched--with their incompetent GM drafting/signing the wrong players and then turning them over to a coach so far over his head. The jets need a new (winning) attitude, something different than the current UNENGAGED coach who stands on the sideline like the last kid that made the varsity football team, just happy to be there. He then always mumbles something after the game about watching tape. The only thing Bowles has the jets ever competing for is the basement of the AFC East.

2. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Definitely an interesting call, and one that caught me off-guard at the time. Typically coaches would accept the penalty, but is it because coaches overvalue yardage vs. downs? The only information I could find on probabilities was that 2nd and 13 is roughly equivalent to 1st and 20 for penalty assessment.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's an odd call for sure but it's an aggressive call and i've been on bowles to be more aggressive so it's kind of a catch 22 to same he is too passive then get mad when he makes an aggressive call. what your missing is 3rd down means they have 1 shot at it. 2nd down means they have 2, sure the yards are doubled but ti's 2 chances that they call a screen and break a big one, 2 chances a guy gets open, 2 chances for a QB to make a big throw, 2 chances to hit as deep TD. in the NFL you can easily rip off a 20 yard play. If you think your defense can make the stop why not go for the 1 shot at it instead of giving them twice the chances. it's not hypothetically making them do 2 3rd and 10s it's the opposite. what if they get an incompletion then have 3rd and 20 and we get a holding penalty or defend it deep and they take a 1 yard screen 25 yards?

as far as his demeanor goes, every coach is different. you never see bellichick lose his shit on the sidelines or andy ried and both are 2 of the best coaches in the NFL. we had that type of coach (rex) and he was ran out of town. people always think the grass is greener then get to the other side and still aren't happy. it sucks, we lost, we expected to only win a few games this year. the team is still being rebuilt. if bowles is gone so be it, as i said i'm neutral on him but if every coach got fired for making a questionable call every game, there would be no coaches.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Should have gotten at least 10 more "likes"..,but some people are unconvinced..too funny

Watch the homers all collapse by the next 2 losses vs Ostweiler and Josh Allen

tomdeb likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unlike the last two games, these two are winnable. If we can beat the Lions, Broncos, and Colts we can beat the Osweiler-led Dolphins and the Bills.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If the jets lose to Josh Allen and the bills, I think some around here would go apoplectic and we'd have a few on suicide watch. That would truly be rock bottom for 2018.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I've seen enough of Sam to believe he IS the FQB we've been looking for, losing head to head against another 2018 QB would be terrible optics. It might be enough to cause the Johnsons to fire Bowles though. And no, I'm NOT rooting for them to lose to the Bills.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You guys may not be rooting for them to lose but you sure are getting ready. Lol.

I'm Praying they win the next two at this point Lol

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's fine. I don't want to have anything to do with a coaching candidate who is intimidated by a couple of billboards.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

There is not one assistant coach on the Jets that could mention the right thing to do in this situation. Maybe he should take a page out of Herm "clock management" Edwards and hire a penalty decision coach.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Rich Kottite you are properly relieved as worst Jets head coach.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. graig.323

graig.323 Active Member

I could not agree more... well said.

tomdeb likes this.