David Wright signs long-term extension with Mets

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by 21stAmendment, Nov 30, 2012.

1. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Mets beat writer Eddie Coleman just reported on WFAN radio (at 2 a.m) that the Mets and David Wright have agreed to a long-term contract extension. No numbers yet, but is said to be the largest contract in Mets history. Johan Santana got a $137.5M deal. I guess the reports of a $140 million deal were true.

UPDATE:

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#dL1dBEzwMfmPEO7M.99

#1 21stAmendment, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

great news for the long suffering mets fans.....whether the long term deal is value is irrelevant for this team..What was key was locking up our franchise / face of the team...now lets get an OF who can actually hit / field and upgrade the C .

I would trade Dickey at this point ... get a good OF and prospects...his worth will never be higher

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow - thats a little surprising the froth of the contract. of course the mets are desparate for good news and IMO they almost had to make a juicy offer - even at the expense of putting some money in other places.

not sure what i would do if was wright - i think i would not have signed and looked to play elsewhere. he is gonna get killed in taxes. and i dont see the mets becoming contenders for at least 3 plus years.

agree on trading dickey, and keep niese.

4. no psls

no psls Banned

Their only strength is their pitching . Keep Dickey and hope for a wildcard .

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

As I said in earlier threads about this, it is very likely that the Mets overpaid here, but they really didn't have a choice. Ultimately this came down to a public relations issue, not a baseball one - they had to make him a big offer.

There's every reason to think he will be a clearly above-average third baseman for years to come, so it's not like his presence will hurt the team. No doubt we'll now start hearing how this is restricting the team from doing things, but that's actually a load of crap - in New York, when you have your own network, there's no excuse for not spending money. The real point is that until the Wilpons are gone it's hard to get too excited about the future of the team.

6. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

theres no way the 'pons were gonna let david go

citi field would be a disaster zone in 2013

7. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

8. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

mets overpaid but they had no choice

fans would be revolted if wright was traded or let go

hopefully they take care of dickey unless they can unload him for a premiere package

9. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

This is an interesting choice too. While i loved the guy's season, the fact the he won a Cy young , is a good guy and a fan fave and all.........I really think if what is being reported at the winter meetings (that like 8 teams are interested in R.A.) They should deal him. With 8 potential suitors, they gotta get a premeire package. They'll never have another opprotuinity to trade an older player to help rebuild this mess of an team. RA will never duplicate the year he just had....and as was proven last season, they need a lot more than him to be competitive, like say, an outfield.