Darnold, Rosen or Allen our future franchise QB?!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, May 3, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Why would you draft a QB in the 1st Round when Hackenberg is coming off a Pro Bowl season as a first year starter? :cool:

hobgoblin, nicg4360 and K'OB like this.
  2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Yeah. But so did Norm Van Brocklin, Dan Fouts and Marcus Mariota. That's pretty good for a school that basically didn't even start competing for consistent bowl games till 1989. I'm amazed we've produced the amount of NFL talent we have. When Rich Brooks became head coach in 1976, they had just been turned down by Bill Walsh for the job. Bill Walsh was blackballed from every single head coaching job in the NFL. But even he realized that this place is in one of the worst recruiting places in the country.

#62 pdxdrew, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

We'll draft a DE and you know it, why kid yourself.

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Three other names that might have a good year and be high on the draft boards are; Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, & Jake Browning. Plus, there is always a one year wonder that pops up. There are at least five teams that need a QB next draft unless a miracle happens. This draft class could be like 1983, then again it could be like 2013 were none of the QBs stepped up and none panned out.

5. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Will Grier from West Virginia is a QB that could jump up draft boards during this season. In 2015, he played good at Florida before being suspended for PEDs. He will probably have a big year at West Virginia this year since that system seems to be QB friendly.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jake Browning is a really good college QB, but doesn't have the NFL arm.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why was Bill Walsh blackballed? I don't remember that.

8. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Lol @ goodies.

9. pdxdrew

Paul Brown basically sunk any chance he had of getting a head coaching job off his Bengal assistant years. At least that's what the recent A Football Life documentary alluded to. He turned Oregon down and went to Stanford which got him the Niners. Brooks left the Rams coaching staff to coach Oregon, only leaving around 20 something years later to coach... The Rams. Small world.

#69 pdxdrew, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. Why did Brown do that to Walsh? Was he pissed that Walsh left the Bengals? Did he not like the job that Walsh did?

11. pdxdrew

Apparently felt Walsh didn't have the temperament for they job. Oops. Big mistake.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I would say there are at least 8 college QBs who had a good year last season and could project themselves into the 1st round with a great year. Plus you add in the one year wonders and there could be at least 10 QBs we are talking about in November. I'm sure it will be down to 2-3 by draft day, just like this year, but I feel the second tier QBs will be deep and very good prospects; best in decades. The chance of 5 in the 1st round is a real possibility in 2018, especially if a couple QBs (Palmer, Big Ben, etc) retire and one or two have big injuries (Teddy).

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

We FINALLY should get our franchise QB next year, not holding my breath on Hack, even tho i would want nothing more from him to prove me wrong. The top 3 should all be good pros, as this looks similar to 04 when Manning, Rivers and Roethisberger all went top 11 and actually all justified their draft slots. Saying this well probably win enough games to not get a single one of them, (i know how this Jet life works).

14. CR8ZMike

CR8ZMike Member

When I watch all three quartbacks tape the BIG Thing I see is Darnolds BALL placement is far superior to the others. Which in college is never evaluated enough but I think that gives him the edge IMO

almbleamal likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Maybe these 2018 QB's aren't as good as we'd been led to believe. The nay-sayers are out already, and just like any year you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be more by the time the draft rolls around.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-allen-no-surefire-franchise-qbs-in-next-wave

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Darnold saying through sources that he may play another 2 years at USC. Maybe he is trying to ditch the Jets?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

nah, I wouldn't think that ... just an excuse if his mechanics don't improve

Rockinz likes this.
  19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Bump*

I thought I’d bring this thread back as I find it interesting what we thought of these 3 kids last year!

Kinda funny that NOBODY mentions Mayfield.... shows how much he skyrocketed through hype

#79 Rockinz, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  20. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

My prediction is the Jets will draft a Josh.

Not 100% certain if it will be Allen or Rosen, and which it is may be determined by the Browns and Giants.

I love big arms, I love the potential of Allen, but he's got a fairly high bust factor. I also view Baker Mayfield as having a fairly high bust factor, along With Lamar Jackson.

Rosen of the bunch is the most likely to succeed in the NFL and he could be very good, but he doesn't have the high ceiling.
    That said if Rosen is on the board he's the guy I take if I want my job in 3 years.

But, If I'm willing to risk my future and swing for the fence? I go with Allen. Allen has the ability to be the next Joe Willie, or the Next Matt Robinson....risk reward.

Rosen strikes me as being Ken O'Brien MkII. Nothing wrong with O'Brien, if he'd had a better cast around him they would have been a better NFL team but the offensive parts around him weren't consistant, but his matchups with Marino were legendary.

So how is the front office thinking?

Personally, assuming all are on the board at 3, I put the odds at Rosen 60%, Allen 30% and 10% Mayfield or Jackson.

Rockinz and Catfish Billy like this.