Darnold NOT Throwing @ the Combine :/

Discussion in 'Draft' started by abc, Feb 27, 2018.

1. abc

abc Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...qb-sam-darnold-elects-not-to-throw-at-combine

The consensus top quarterback of this year's draft class won't throw at the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine(March 2-5 on NFL Network).

[​IMG]
    College Football 24/7 Hot Topics:
    USC quarterback Sam Darnold has elected to focus on athletic testing and interviews instead of throwing drills at this week's annual pre-draft summit, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, per a source informed of his plans. ESPN first reported the story.

Darnold is fully healthy, Rapoport adds, and will throw at USC's pro day on Mar. 21.

Quarterbacks arrive at the combine in Indianapolis on Wednesday, but do not participate in on-field workouts until Saturday. The rest of their time is spent undergoing medical examinations, measurements and psychological testing and doing interviews with prospective teams.

In five of NFL.com's six mock drafts, Darnold goes first overall to the Cleveland Browns; NFL.com draft analyst Chad Reuter has Darnold going to the New York Giants at No. 2, with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen hopping Darnold.

2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

and he will still be picked 1 overall because he is that good.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Did you ever bang your elbow against the side of a desk??..ouch Prob just a case of pins and needles going on here..

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. He may get picked #1 because the Browns need a QB and may not draft Rosen or Mayfield, but I don't think he is that good. He has a problem with fumbling, he throws too many interceptions and with his relatively slow delivery, will probably throw a lot of interceptions in the NFL.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that, barring injury, a player can choose to opt of any of the drills. I guess he thinks keeping them guessing will drive up interest.

6. NCJetsfan

It could backfire and make him drop. It would be a red flag for me, particularly since he hasn't discussed working on fixing his throwing motion since the season ended. I'd rather have Allen than Darnold. At least I know that Allen will work hard to improve, will be exciting and can make some incredible throws. If Darnold hasn't worked on his throwing motion and isn't throwing at the Combine to hide that fact, it would be a huge red flag to me.

7. ColoradoContrails

I agree about the red flag IMO. But he's not stupid and must believe it won't hurt him. or maybe he already has a deal in place.

abc likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Throwing at the combine to unknown receivers does nothing for him and can only hurt him.

For him he should focus on acing the interview process and focus on throwing in a controlled environment.

Chalk this up to a smart business decision.

Harpua, CotcheryFan, abc and 2 others like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't think of that. Makes sense.

Attackett likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I disagree completely. His throwing motion is a concern. If he has a great work ethic and desire to be the best, he should have been working on that since the season ended, and should be excited to show off that new, more compact throwing motion. That could help to offset any concerns with his regressing this past season, his fumble history and his throwing too many interceptions.

He may wind up the #1 pick anyway, but I think it would guarantee it if the Browns clearly have removed Rosen from consideration.

Attackett likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I don't believe he can change his throwing motion, certainly not in a matter of weeks or months. He;s spent his whole life throwing that way, and like anything, it will takes thousands of repetitions to alter something so deeply ingrained. In the meantime, expect regression until well into the new routine. I share your concern about his delivery being elongated, but he seems to be able to make it work. And yes, at the pro level defenses are much better and may make him pay a price, I think he'll learn how to adjust within the context of his existing mechanics. I think his decision to not throw is based on what Rexstasy said: throwing to unfamiliar targets will result in lesser results, and why give anyone any reasons like that to doubt?

Harpua and Attackett like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I am glad he's not throwing. Maybe some dumbass team will drop him down their list or fall in love with some other guy at the underwear olympics and he will be there at 6 for our Jets.

the combine is the most overrated tool for player evaluation. Its a spectacle. I wish more players would have the balls to sit it out

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Yes, changing any technique/fundamental takes time, but at least he would show that he recognizes that he has a problem and is working to resolve it. If he explains that to teams in his interview and then throws at his Pro Day, it may not be a problem. But if didn't throw at the Combine, wasn't forthcoming in his interview about his throwing motion or seemed resistant to changing it, and then threw with the same motion at his Pro Day, I'd probably drop him waaaaaaaaaaay down my draft board or may even take him off entirely. I think Rextasy's comment about throwing to unfamiliar WRs is nonsense. Plenty of other QBs do it and it doesn't affect them. Doing it (throwing) shows a willingness and flexibility, and supreme confidence. If I were a GM I wouldn't be happy with a QB that was afraid to throw at the Combine.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's going to throw at his pro day. no big deal here at all

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is the Jets we are talking about. He’ll end up going 5, have a hall of fame career and we’ll hear for the entirety of his career how we almost traded to 4 for him. All the while we won’t remember the name of the defensive player who was selected at 6 and flamed out of the NFL after 3 disappointing years.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i call bullshit on this.
    we will never forget the name vernon gholston

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

fitting that we always get 6 considering Namath sold his soul for a SB ring ... no problem with Darnold not throwing ... let him get his release a little tighter ... pro day he will show up. Upside is too much to pass up on.

I really hope the Browns take Barkley at 1 and Mayfield at 4. I know it sacrifices Barkley, but things open up big time in terms of QBs available.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Mayfield is showing he is not afraid of the spotlight.

If Mayfield lights the combine up, Darnold will fall and this may absolutely help us.

abc likes this.
  19. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I want Mayfield @ 6... That is all.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wouldn't mind it if this decision makes Darnold slip to 6th. :D

grkmanga31 likes this.