D-Day

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Jun 7, 2017.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Learn something new every day.

[​IMG]

nycarl and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^It's really something else. A good deal of the unit was recruited from NYC (Cooper Union, Parsons School of Design, Pratt) and also Philly. The unit was little known - until a few years ago - and highly underappreciated. Art matters, and here's just another reason why.

Great documentary came out in 2013, simply called 'The Ghost Army', narrated by Peter Coyote. Put it on your list. Here's a slice:

http://www.ghostarmy.org/about/film/

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I've seen that. It's a really interesting documentary. Inflatable tanks, playing recordings of explosions and gun fire etc. Great stuff.

Iirc it nearly backfired spectacularly. The Ghost Army was deployed in the Ardennes to mask the fact that the Allied forces were weak there having deployed most of their forces elsewhere ready to mount a major offensive. They were pulled out just a few hours before the Germans commenced their major counter-offensive known as The Battle of the Bulge, right where the Ghost Army was deployed. Most of them being non-combatants it would have been a massacre.

4. The Waterboy

Just checked PBS on my Roku and unfortunately it's not available to stream right now. Put it on my watchlist, hopefully it comes up soon.

5. The Waterboy

Just came out on Amazon Prime and it was excellent. Amazing what they were able to do.
    I was floored by some of the artists I never had a clue were involved in that. Anyone that's seen more than a few drawings of boids has likely seen Arthur Singers work. And I never knew I had seen so much of Art Kane's work until I just looked him up, Joplin, Stones, The Who, Dylan, Morrison, Jeff Beck and the list goes on.

Anyone that enjoys war documentaries, history, art or just enjoys a damn good story, should watch this movie.

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

My kids know my allegiance to Kurdish people and they know we are a nation with no country. They asked what country I associate myself with. I said USA. I said USA flad is my flag and US National Anthem is my anthem. I told them about Normandy. Showed them clips from YouTube. They got emotional for those soldiers. I told them to never betray USA and respect US flag.

You know what is sad? Tons of Americans not knowing the value of liberty. Disrespecting the flag and the anthem? I am a fucking Muslim immigrant and even I don't get it. Sorry if I ruined this great thread.

jetophile, Bellows1 and The Waterboy like this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Heard on npr this morning that the Kurds in Iraq are going to vote for an independent Kurdistan.

8. Brook!

Iraq constitution gives Kurds in Iraq a right to become independent but Kurds want oil rich Kirkuk within Kurdistan. Iraq doesn't want to go for it. Without Kirkuk Kurdistan can't survive. Without Kirkuk Iraq's oil revenue will be cut in half. Turkey and Iran are flexing their muscles and threatening the Kurds. So far USA and Russia didn't do anything to block it but they didn't endorse it either. Especially USA seems like they don't want to this to go thru now but Israel seems like the only supporter. Germany said this referendum would be a mistake so did France and England.

I expect this referendum not to go thru. We shall see what happens. Only 3 days to go. Monday is the day.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

unbelievably brave men !!!!

10. jetophile

The last thing you did was ruin the thread.

Brook! likes this.
  11. jetophile

Glad you caught it. Currently watching 'The Vietnam War' on PBS, also narrated by Peter Coyote. Ken Burns, who else. I love Ken Burns. My biggest shot at the guy - and it's a big one - is that he's been wrong on several occasions about his facts and then never redacts or corrects. Not a good thing, but still great film-making.

#31 jetophile, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  12. The Waterboy

Just saw that pop up on my feed so I'll probably start watching that this weekend. I was reading up on the war and they had a similar, though not near as successful as the Ghost Army, audio unit that played distorted voices of supposedly killed Viet Cong to mess with their heads. It was based on the Vietnamese fearing not being properly buried, causing their soul would wander the earth.

13. Dierking

Looks like it did go through. I have to say, of all the treacherous Islamic dogs in the mideast, I think I like the Kurds the best.

14. Brook!

Kurds are the best but dumbest. It did go thru yet Iran-Turkey and Iraq says in case they declare Kurdistan they will intervene with their military. So far USA is quiet and so is Russia. Israel is also extremely quiet. Can't really read the situation. Is this another case of USA fucking the Kurds in the ass? @Br4d , care to chime in?

15. Dierking

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Unfortunately.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Brook!

17. Dierking

Not surprising. We’re happy enough to let the pesh merga do the dirty work but don’t want them to get too uppity about it.

18. jetophile

I'm surprised there was no mention here of the kerfluffle at the Marriot Marquis in Times Square last week when Erdogan was giving a speech. Kurdish/Turkish American screams out in English: "YOU'RE A TERRORIST! GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!" He meant the U.S., of course, but the message was clear: not cool with the Turkish Parliament's ban of the word Kurdistan. A handful of protesters who joined him got decked, shoved around, and thrown out. Erdgogan didn't blink an eye, dusted off both shoulders of his suit, gave zero craps, and continued his speech in Turkish.

Brook! likes this.
  19. jetophile

Anyway . . .

[​IMG]

Brook! likes this.
  20. jetophile

No-one overlooks the Brits re: Normandy, but people tend to forget the Canadians. Yeah, they were there, and were integral. A slew of other countries in smaller numbers: Australia, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Greece, Norway, New Zealand, France, Belgium probably forgetting one or two.