Could the Jets be a good team in 2013?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 8, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Aside from Brick, Mangold, Cro and Revis (who might not even be on the team next year), I wouldnt describe any of them as "studs". Bilal Powell and Demario Davis are studs? Jeeze. If thats the standard for this team then thats just sad.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed but Davis and Powell are intriguing prospects that could be regulars. They have value.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Good point. Powell seemed to have better vision than Greene, but neither are gamebreaker backs unfortunately.

Davis I am really interested in and same with McIntyre. Also want to see what Josh Bush and Antonio Allen have at safety.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

McIntyre is a perfect stopgap until one of our other OLB from the draft develops.

Hill was showing some potential last season, hopefully he has a speedy recovery and he takes the next step and becomes a solid receiver.

Coples and Wilkerson are legit.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think a trio of Greene/Powell/FAorDraftee would be solid. We need an OG bad, maybe RT as well not sure if I trust Howard to be the
    Long term answer there.

Looks like we're stuck with Sanchez.

6. coltsfan_nyc

coltsfan_nyc Banned

Sorry I was mistaken, I thought that if the Jets would have beaten the Titans last year, they were in the playoffs.

Switching gears a little bit here, the Colts won only two games before we drafted Andrew Luck in 2012. In our first year of rebuilding we made the playoffs. We had a couple of veterans but for the most part our team was gutted.

I'm saying that to say this. The Jets can only be a QB and an offensive coordinator away from the play offs. The Jets defense is already legendary, not up to Steelers or Ravens status, but everybody knows about the Jet defense.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well Andrew Luck only comes around once a decade. You Colts fans will have 2+ decades of great QB play. The Jets? We've been trying to find that QB since Namath left. Easier said than done.

Finding a franchise QB is the hardest thing to do in sports.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I like Eddie Lacey, He is a perfect fit for us. He can make catches out of the backfield and would be a better version of Greene more versatile

9. LongIslandBlitz

We may never find one, Look how long its already been we are going on almost 50 years, We will likley go another hundred years 43 coaches 54 QBS until we finally draft a decent QB

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Do you have manic depression or something? One hour, you're betting 1000 dollars and saying that Sanchez is going to win the Superbowl. Another one, you're saying that we'll never find a franchise QB and that we should just give up...

Come on now...make up your mind.

11. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

uh no.....

12. LongIslandBlitz

I never said once it would be Sanchez winning us the , I said the Jets would win it,I would never put together such a stupid sentence. Whoever we decide to bring in will win it for us. Sanchez will ride the bench in 2013 unless he has some dramatic turn around and shows new life in practice or preseasoon games

13. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Here is the answer. No!

Too many holes unfilled, too many unknowns to say yes. The Jets will do what they do every year and win some games and loose the games we know they will loose.Then somewhere in the middle of the season ,they will pull off a couple of wins that make it seem like they will make a run or turn the corner and then things like a butt fumble will happen and we will wake up from the fantasy that they fooled us into and they will crash and burn. We are cursed!

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think it's unlikely that the Jets are good in 2013, but saying it's not possible because their are too many unknowns seems foolish. Unknowns could turn out to be positives.

15. LongIslandBlitz

There is one thing that is def known, The defense should still be a top 5 calibar defense,And they will likely keep us in most games again

16. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Agreed , but Been burned more times then I have fingers and toes. What else should I think?:sad:

17. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

Thanks for that!

We would have still been in the race if we beat the Titans, but we had already lost 7 games at that point and the Bengals only ended up losing 6. So we wouldn't have qualified even if we won out.

I don't think the Colts had the salary cap problems we have, but if we can get solid QB play then we have a chance to be competitive. I just don't have much hope for that seeing as how Sanchez is most likely the starter for 2013.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Not necessarily true. Landry is most likely gone and Revis is a huge unknown. We will likely need 2 OLB's, 2 safeties and we might have to trade the best CB in over a decade. I would not say they are definitely a top 5 defense.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

rex is always a safe bet for a top 5 defense.i am thinking we will need to replace :
    1 olb.mcentyre can step in for b.t. and will be ok.

1 safety. bell wil probably be back

the defense will be o.k. if we get anything out of the offense this team can be playing meaningful games in december.

that said, its hard to say they will be considering how bad the offense has been and the ? of what players will be on the team

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

I just see us going with so much youth on that side of the ball that I can not say its a safe bet for a top 5 defense. I do think that we can be top 10. A big factor to consider is our defense in respect to the entire league. We have limited cap room and will have to prioritize the offense first in the draft so I dont see the defense being truly upgraded. Add in the possible loss of Landry and Revis, and the fact that other teams dont have the restrictions that we do in terms of upgrading the defense and its hard to see top 5.

If we lose Landry and Revis, I would say SF, Bal, Sea, Den, Hou, Cinci, Chi and Pit are better ahead of us at least.