Could Jeremy Bates become the next HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, May 13, 2018.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This statement completely Ignores how good his defenses in AZ were. He's respect because he's a proven DC. He may not be the right guy to run the ship, but questioning why he is respected is just not knowing where he came from to get here or being purposefully misleading.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I didnt have a great feeling about Bowles from the get go..he should return to being a DC

Lol I would go further back than the old Broncos Offense..Bowles is still living out of the 1980s with his football philosophy..way too conservative

Good Coaches get the MOST out of each player..Bowles is just too laid back. plus a good coach knows what they are doing in game

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ignores the fact that 2 jag qbs had career years under him.

twown, Walt White and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Most fans did not think they would tank. Thanking doesn't happen in the NFL no matter how many times a handful of fans repeat this. Doesn't happen. Who tanks when you don't even know which QBs would declare for the draft. But we keep hearing about the tank. You keep making this a give win team because it breaks your heart to admit 5 wins was a good job. This want a 5 win team according to anyone, anywhere before it actually happened. We would have won more of McCown want injured for 3.5 games.

Where did you get the psychology degree to determine that Bates heart isn't in it? Along with not being able to run his offense. Hard to be more negative.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Big numbers too...

with his 80's mindset myth bs. Go figure

FJF likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If you're making a case that Bowles was responsible for Fitzpatrick and McCown each having their biggest years, try to give us some cause and effect examples in support please. Just because it happened doesn't show that Bowles had any part in creating it.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

With two different OC's. But it was coincidence apparently ^^

lol

FJF likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You're right on alot of points. Buy I have no doubt the Cleveland Browns tanked for real How else do you explain Hue Jackson keeping his job?

LF911SC likes this.
  9. boozer32

Well said. There are for sure different coaching styles. If you are going to be laid back like Bowles you better be smart like a Tom Landry or Bill Walsh. Bowles has the personality of paint drying. If you are gonna be the animated energized coach like Lombardi or Cowher. Those types the players would run through a wall for them. Its safe to say Bowles is nowhere near that category. Then you have the cerebral ones like Harbaugh (Ravens), Payton, Bellicheck. They are teachers who coach up their talent ( my favorite type) No matter who they draft they want to get them up and running and contributing. I think Walsh and Lombardi fall into all 3 categories. Walsh was brilliant. He was GM, coach, coordinator.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I can't argue about Hue, him keeping his job is insane but it is the Browns. Lol

boozer32 likes this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

But the point was that good coaches get the most of their players, implying that Bowles wasn't doing this with his team. So can you give cause and effect examples of Bowles giving BAD coaching to underperforming players?

Seems like this such examples -- positive or negative -- would be pretty hard for fans to come up with without a) being present at practices, and b) having serious football instruction credentials.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

So they're tanking again this year? I'm just asking.

13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I don't agree about what makes the cerebral ones great. Do they "coach up"? Probably a little. But what makes them great is evaluating talent and seeing the game on a deeper level, seeing their players' strengths and weaknesses as they are and knowing how to best utilize them in the context of specific situations. Great coaches aren't necessarily better at improving their players. But they ARE better at knowing which guys are good and how to use them to maximum effect.

In other words, the players look better on teams with great coaches. Then those same players move elsewhere. Same talent, same technique, different system, different plays, different teammates, different chemistry, different results.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. boozer32

Yes, a lot of that is true. Especially the players moving on to another team and different system. There was a lot less of that back in Landry and Walsh day as free agency was nonexistent. Players stayed in the same system for years.

twown likes this.
  15. boozer32

Depends if Mayfield starts. I believe Hue Jackson is a better coach than what was shown last year. But if they are 0-8 by midseason hard to see him making it to the end of the season. Dorsey won't go for that and he may want his own guy in there anyway.

16. boozer32

Not playing Hackenberg at all. Not even in garbage time and at the end of the season. His handling of Richardson and Wilkerson. Did he get Macc to dump them cause he couldn't handle them? Their play declined under Bowles also. One was an all-pro the other was close enough. The development of Williams also has gone down each year. Darron Lee hasn't performed up to 1st round talent.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This actually crossed my mind. I think if Darnold looks good and works well with Bates but the D still stinks and we go 4-12 this could be a viable option

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I think maybe if we finally have a long-term solution at QB, our HC's will begin to look better to us no matter who they are.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No. I can't give any evidence of Bowles giving any coaching at all to any of the players on the team. Ditto for Bates.