Cooper vs Winston/Mariota

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jetsillinifan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

pipe dream here and pretty good chance none of these 3 players will be there for us, but if winston or mariota are still on the board and cooper was still there, who would you take? On one hand you have a potential franchise qb, on the other hand you have a #1 receiver. You can get any qb to play and as long as he has weapons he can make plays (or at least we can see that he's a bad qb) on the other hand, the qb can turn around a team all by himself by making those players into weapons...

wondering what others think, but realistically we'll end up getting a pass rusher or ol since these players will probably be gone by then (why did we have to beat the fins...)

2. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

You clearly go for the QB if they are both on the board.

Axel3419 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Take the QB and try to re sign Harvin at a reasonable deal, last I checked Geno is still a terrible QB and the F/A market doesn't look impressive so QB is priority number 1, 2, and 3 for us.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You take the QB because there will be players later in the draft who may get you 95% of what Cooper is.

There is no QB later in the draft that will get you even 50% of what Mariota or Winston are.

_

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We are about to enter into one of the best, if not the best, free agency in NFL history. There will be a shit load of receivers and players available. We will have more money than God to spend.

If we have the chance to pick a potential franchise QB at number 6, you pick him and don't look back. There's a reason why finding a QB is so difficult. It's the most important position in the NFL. You don't miss an opportunity like that.

6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Depends on how free agency goes and the percy situation. If percy leaves & WR isn't addressed.. Obviously Cooper. Let's see what GENO can do with Gailey (this is what I want honestly). If percy stays or we somehow end up with a big name WR.. We make sure we get a QB in the 1st, Geno's job isn't safe

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd go with the QB. I like Winston and dont really care for Mariota, but who knows if the Jets are picking this high again next year. Take your chance on the QB, since the penalty isnt terrible anymore.

8. JStokes

2013, 2014 and now you want the same serving in 2015?

Is this you?

_

9. JStokes

We may never be picking this high for 5 years. In a year with 2 solid QB options.

_

10. jcass10

Solid is subjective, but I agree with your premise.

11. JStokes

Of course it's subjective.

I've been high on Mariota for 2 plus years now. Like last year, there were IMHO some truly solid QBs to build around--Teddy and Carr--and I would have taken either at our pick.

2012 was a dreadful year for QBs and I didn't want any of them in any round.

Mariota and Winston may or may not be stars--but at some point as a franchise we need to gamble on what we hope is a top guy to finally fill that role as a franchise QB.

We tried valiantly with Sanchez and it didn't work out and BOTH of these guys are better prospects. Actually, along with Teddy and Carr, better prospects than any QBs since Luck.

_

12. jcass10

Fair enough. I don't see it with Mariota but I'd be thrilled if we could get Winston.

13. JStokes

I too would be happy (thrilled is a bit much because of my concern about his off-field stuff) with Winston. I'd prefer Mariota but I could get firmly behind Winston and just hold my breath. He could be the real deal for the next decade.

_

14. JetLifeLo

2013 didn't bother me he was a rook in a QB-Killer system... This year the defense helped add to the problem..same system. I wouldn't mind seeing Geno with Gailey, that would prove a lot more to me about geno than Rex's staff. ima WVU fan so i know what Geno has the potential to be and i also know that Gailey's system is right up his alley. They just got to trust him and leave his past seasons in the past.

15. JStokes

Then as a WVA fan, you know better than most what a mirage his college career was and that 2012 and 2013 represent what Geno at the pro level is.

Btw, I was a HUGE Ryan Nassib fan for what he did for my alma mater but I'm also not so blinded by the Orange that I didn't/don't realize he's not that good.

You should not be blinded by your loyalty.

He's not a good QB and no amount of 'fixing" will make him top 10. Could he be a mediocre serviceable QB under Gailey?

I'm not aspiring to "serviceable". I don't want to waste that time.

I want elite some day.

_

JetLifeLo likes this.
  16. JetLifeLo

I'm not blinded... i know what Geno is right now... I just feel if worse comes to worst with getting a QB i'm all the way down to see what Geno can do with Gailey, much rather than any of the other options available

17. JStokes

So you'd rather we stick with Geno rather than draft Mariota or Winston a 6 (if available) and let Geno start?

You realize that mirage at the end of 2013 is exactly the reason we're looking to draft a QB this year rather than having Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr getting prepared for major improvements as our franchise QB in year 2?

Geno did wonders for your alma mater, just like Nassib for mine. You should be ecstatic with that.

Don't be blinded.

_

18. JetLifeLo

I said if percy leaves and we don't land any of the top WR's in FA, we draft Cooper. If Mariota and Cooper are available and we have no WR's but Decker and Kerley...then it's fuck Mariota, i'm taking Coop. The guy that will help make Geno better along with Gailey. I will say though, if it were winston and cooper available and we had just Deck and JeryKerl, i may take my chance wit Jameis. I think he would handle the lack of weapons a lot better.

But trust me bro, i've been screaming for winston and mariota all season too lol... I'm really not a Geno homer at all... plenty of times I applauded his benchings lol. But I also knew through Geno's struggles that we weren't running his style of football, this Gailey experiment could be interesting.

19. JStokes

There are 4-5 other WRs who will be as good as and possibly better than Cooper available later in the draft.

I don't want to get a guy that will make my QB better, I want a QB that will make EVERYONE else around him better.

_

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

What good is a WR without a QB? Get the QB and build your offense around him please. We could very possibly be in a position that a QB falls right into our lap, we shouldn't pass that up for anyone.