Concrete Countertops?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by stinkyB, Mar 17, 2018.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Looks like that's prefab laminate top. "low splash" is built in

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I am leaning that way, probably an off white which will match the cabinets. Hoping to go with a little bit larger than the 3x6 though.

Finished putting some french drains out front today, kicked my ass in this heat.

3. stinkyB

The rain has been ridiculous!!

Yeah, I'm usually like the stone / natural look, but with those white cabinets subway tile should look good. 3x6 is pretty standard (size of the marble I used too) but just set them with a tight grout joint and use a grout to match your floor. (I bought some "alabaster".... wrong for what I wanted, but would prob work for yours. Color I went with was "biscuit"

there was some 4x12 light colored stone that looked good too... almost went with that
    https://www.flooranddecor.com/stone-decoratives/fossil-brushed-limestone-tile-100203108.html#prefn1=color&prefn2=finish&prefv3=Marble|Travertine|Quartzite|Limestone&prefv4=Rectangular|Square&prefv1=Light+Beige|Ivory|Gray|Multi+Color|Beige&prefv2=Tumbled|Honed/+Filled|Polished|Brushed&prefn3=productType&prefn4=shape&start=3

4. The Waterboy

Yeah, rain has been ridiculous plus the county came in and resurfaced the street right after we bought making the street slightly higher than my driveway, now when the rain flows down the road to the storm drain, half of it flows into my drive and front yard. Put the french drains in to help until the county takes care of the problem.

I'll be taking a trip over to F&D to see what tile they have. Home Depot and Lowes didn't really have anything I liked.

5. stinkyB

Yep, I know the feeling...
    My house is the oldest on the street.... and now sits lower than the road.
    Was a minor problem at first, only on the heaviest rains, but since I've owned it, the adjoining properties that were lower than mine in the direction of waterflow to the marsh have added 3' of fill :mad::mad::mad:
    I put in a sump pump on a float switch by my front door that runs out to the street by the far corner of the property... and also dug out a small drainage swale.
    Have plans to put a speed bump out on the street at the top of the driveway to direct storm flow .... I dont give a F- anymore
    (luckily the street is unlevel with the other side being lower, so it only affects me on the worst storms)

actually, HD had a good selection of floor tile (it's where I got mine) but yeah, their other stuff was lacking. Local Lowes is small and isnt worth a damn unless youre decorating

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bigger is usually better - less grout, easier to clean. I've seen some long pieces; maybe 3 x 9 or a bit longer in some places that look good and are a bit different than same ol', same ol'.

If you have a good sized independent tile place around they have great deals on closeouts and short lots - a lot of which will have enough pieces for a backsplash and you can get them for a steal. Grab some samples and don't be afraid of some color before you settle on the whites.

ETA: Just found an old listing for the spec house I mentioned with a couple of kitchen pics showing the medium dark backsplash...https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/sag-har...-sag-harbor-ny-11963--1006249395#lil-mediaTab

#66 Ralebird, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    The Waterboy likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

Yes, some color might work since we have a lot of light colors in there right now, might try and get something close to the slate color of the appliances or what I am calling platinum in the piping on the cabinet doors. We'll just be bringing a bunch of samples to see how they look. That is a nice kitchen there, you do that tile work?

I used to live near a great place for closeout flooring and tile but so far the tile places I have checked out near me, that advertise closeouts, are way overpriced. We have time before I get to the back splash so I'll be checking out a few more spots.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No, I'm no tile guy, at least on a job like that - I can do a little at home. The guy who did it is a real craftsman and even cut some tiles down that had overglaze on the edge to use in place of bullnose at the doorways. He has also done at least two concrete bar tops at restaurants near here - one inside and one outside. Both have fiber optic filaments in them that make it look like the night sky when it's dark and they glow through the resin or whatever topping he uses. I was the construction manager on the job and designed the kitchen layout and picked most of the materials, although the builder screwed up a few things on his own.

The places I got most of the tiles for the house weren't the kind that advertise low prices but had a section in the back with generally small amounts of stuff at big discounts they would otherwise be stuck with. These are real leftovers and cancellations, etc., not come-ons to put in an ad. Measure out your space and go see what they have sitting that they want to get rid of - don't be afraid to play "let's make a deal." Matching the appliances or highlighting on the cabinets works great, even if the color is about the same but not so dark. Good luck.

One warning - if you find a place with the tile like the places I found you're going to see stuff you really like and may end up buying some to redo a shower or a bathroom floor or wall or all of them. You could be setting tile for months, those small jobs add up.

The Waterboy likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

Yes, I know all about the seeing stuff we like and the jobs adding up. The house before this one was supposed to be the last rehab but we got offered such a great deal on this house I am redoing everything. Complete gut job including tearing out load bearing walls to open the whole place up. The kitchen I am doing used to have an island and the washer dryer in a closet, now it is just a wide open space.

Finally got my living room furniture today, be nice to lay on a couch after 2 months without.

10. The Waterboy

Well ended up going with the thermoplastic tiles. May end up having a little more work with cleaning down the road but happy with the look. Decided to completely close off the window over the sink instead of widening and glad I did, just going to go with a glass shelf up over the sink.
    [​IMG]
    Figured I would throw up the old "before" picture again too, this was right after we bought the place
    [​IMG]