Clint Hurtt Now Not the new OLB Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Maybe Woodys brother can coach the offense

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Hurtt not coming to the Jets says alot about how the league perceives Bowles chances. The job is attractive for a few reasons:
    • Hurtt knows Mauldin and Jenkins, having coached them at Louisville.
    • He would have a very low threshold to show progress, given these guys haven't generated much of a pass rush and their sack totals are low.
    • There is a good chance the Jets will be picking up another young OLB/Pass Rusher in the draft, so he would have had three young high-mid draft picks to develop.
    Yet he chooses not to come to the Jets and isnt resigned by the Bears either.

So he'd rather just take his chances than come to NY and join Bowles.

Perfect...

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jenkins went to Georgia, not Louisville, so you meant that Hurtt knows Mauldin and coached him.

Otherwise, your post is spot on. What a truly pathetic situation we're in.

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification...

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Anybody who comes here knows they are going to be gone by the end of season. Bowles has a future date with a pink slip.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

If Bowles can't fill the vacancies with competent coaches by the Super Bowl, he should be fired. If we're going with young QBs, we should be setting them up with a coaching staff that will be here for a few years, not lame duck coaches.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Agree, this stiff was clueless all last year and now he has 0-4 so far. What a a cluster this is....

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Woody said there's no playoff mandate and he seemed pretty supportive of Bowles. Why this perception that he's a goner?

First of all, there's a chance (smaller and smaller by the day) that we actually improve which keeps him safe.
    Second there's this ambassador business for woody. If he DOES go then who would be making the decision to fire Bowles? Mac? Woody's brother? Would his brother really come in and clean house like that? Would he even have the power to do that?

I think it's likely that if his brother takes over Bowles and Mac get even more time here.

SO this idea Bowles is a lame duck just isn't true

9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Now there's a plan, while were at it lets wine and dine Richie Kotite for the vacant OC job

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In answer to the bolded question, please read your next sentence.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

So we have a small chance to improve. As I said woody sounds supportive even if there's no major positive swing in our record next year. If he even cares by that time

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

No way.

John Madden!

Jets69 likes this.
  13. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

I'm willing to coach the linebacker for a year. I'll come fairly cheap too. I'll do it for 850k.

GreenfiendNYJ and Jets69 like this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when we first hired Gailey. He was coming and then wasn't and then did. In this situation it looks like Hurts isn't coming. I wonder if it's a money situation and Woody is being cheap with the coaches. I really don;t get it but all issues to me always seem to come back to Woody. I really wish we could hire someone to be team president and get Woody out of the way. I've said it before I think Curtis Martin would be great in that role. Wishful thinking I guess. Until Woody goes this will always be the issue.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I would think the HC hires the OC and DC, and THOSE guys fill out position coaches. For example, the OC will want to hire the right o-line coach that coaches the o-line the way the OC want to runs the offense.

If Bowles already has the position coaches filled, it might be harder to get a good OC to come in and work with Bowles' hires, instead of bringing in their own guys?

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I remember Curtis Martin was looking into being a team owner at one point (he never stated which team), but it fell thru.

Would love for him to buy some percentage of the Jets, and be team President like you said.
    So while Woody is off in England, he could handle all the football operations.
    that would be perfect, but instead he have Woody's brother.
    great