Cimini on ESPN Radio: Petty's days could be numbered

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 20, 2017.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Does anyone here think that TB will start anyone other than MCcown ? I will be shocked if TB goes with one of the other guys with his job on the line never mind how loyal he has been to vets .The young guys also now have to learn a new system ,,,,,,as someone else said I can hear it now " McCOWN will start again next week , he gives us the best chance to win " ugh

2. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

Do we really though? I saw Petty look completely clueless. The elite qbs you can tell within a few games if they've got it and he doesnt

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Watch he's gonna go on to be a star just like all those other back up QB that the Jets discarded. Oh wait...

JulesWinfield89 likes this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

So just following along:

Josh McCown is signed because he is considered smart and a great mentor for the young QB's. He is 37 years old and is being payed $6 million by the Jets. He can make more through incentives. Last year he played and finished 5 games, started 3, losing them all. He was 90 for 165 (55%) for 1100 yards, 6 TD's 6 INT's. He is a career 59% completion passer and has thrown 79 TD's and 69 INT's. So last year was no abberation. His career QB record is 18 wins 42 losses.

Bryce Petty has shown the Jets nothing to prove he can be a franchise guy. At 26 years old he is considered too old to be a player in development. Still on his rookie contract, his cap charge is $753,000. Last year Petty played 6 games, the first of his career. He started 4 but was knocked out of 2 games early (Mia and NE). He was 75 for 133 (56%) for 809 yards, 3 TD's and 7 INT's. His QB record is 1 win and 3 losses. So unlike McCown he actually won a game last season.

They put up equivalent stats last year. Only one of them has a chance of improving, because he has only ever played in 6 games in his career. Nobody expects McCown to play a full year or be anything other than mediocre.

So the Jets spent $6 million of their available $23 million on a 37 year old QB with a horrendous career record and subpar completion percentage. They are thinking about cutting a 26 year old QB that is making less than $1 million who had similar stats as the newly signed QB because he doesnt show them anything.

Makes total sense.

Also, for those thinking about it, how many QB's has McCown "mentored" that have gone on to great careers? I dont think he ever intersected with a young QB, other than back in 2006 with the Raiders and JaMarcus Russell.

This signing smells like Toilet Bowles bleating for a veteran on the roster, and Mac giving him one that will be certain to self destruct after a few games. And when he does, hopefully the Jets have more than just Hack who never played a game and a 2017 draft pick behind him.

#44 PulseJet, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Some progress at different paces. I personally am with you in terms of finding a way to replace Petty via drafting a QB in the later rounds, but unfortunately I am not the Jets coaching staff! Not really a fan of Petty.

6. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

why we didnt fire Bowles after last season is a mystery to me

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'll ask you the same question I asked other people that brought up his salary... who were we spending the $23 mil on? There are no high level free agents left out there. We have more than enough to fill out a roster with some "potential" guys that are still young or maybe had some health problems but have plenty of talent.

And again, with the rollover money, we have almost $70 mil in cap space next year and that's not including any potential cuts like Decker, Skrine or Gilchrist.

RuJFan and Mogriffjr like this.
  8. PulseJet

Not really sure. Extend Enunwa? Maybe have $100 million in Cap Space next year so if the Jets wanted to make a run at Cousins they would have the firepower? Maybe target more 26-27 yo potential prospects this year rather than a 37 year old washout?

I'll ask you, what past evidence shows bringing McCown in make the team better in 2017 and builds towards the future?

If you get past the PR, he is a one year rental paid twice the amount Fitz was paid in 2015 who put up the same stats Petty put up and has a horrible career win loss record. He will be a "mentor" but has shown no examples of mentoring anybody. At least with Sanchez he gets credited for "mentoring" Dax Prescott last year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

And here within lies the problem with the folks outraged over this McCown signing. It DOESN'T make the team better in 2017. That's not the goal. That never was the goal. If you want to give Petty and Hackenberg some time to adjust on the fly, having a guy like McCown here who can step in and play the first few games of the season and be a positive voice in the locker room is a good thing. That's what he's here for. It's not to win games, it's to buy time, help and in turn, help the future of the team.

And yea I get it, Hack red-shirted, Petty is in year 3, blah blah blah. Well guess what? This is the reality. The reality is we have no QBs on the roster ready to step in and start (that we know of). There is no one in the draft that's a shoe-in franchise QB. There were no solid free agents left. So you do the next best thing: get a one-year stopgap veteran who won't cause drama and will be a leader in a locker room that desperately needs one.

RuJFan and same old jets like this.
  10. DSL97

DSL97 Member

I'd rather take any rollover money to actually help with the rebuild then spend 6 mil on a washed QB who should've gotten maybe half of that max.

11. same old jets

same old jets Member

Thats the best case....I personally think Daniel, Cutler types of signings wanted to be QB1 and would have thrown a fit if the reigns were handed to Hack/Petty or a rook this season......McCown will make no waves. He''ll mentor and it seems the plan is for one of the kids to start most of the year.....I like it, time to see if they have anything or cut bait...if they swim then they finally have a QB....if they sink (defined as cant beat out old man McCown or stink on the field) then they should have a top pick to grab a QB next year in a much better draft or sign/trade for one with the ton of cap room they have.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is my concern as well, preseason and TC is not a true barometer for evaluating QBs, TB has to let them play with the starters, real games, not just the last 3 games of the season.

Every QB goes through growing pains, there is no way around that.

TwoHeadedMonster and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone can grade out Petty after last year....holy Geebus cripes almighty was that roster stinky. The line he was playing behind was horrific. I still think the kid has potential and it'd be a waste to discard him now -

14. PulseJet

I'm not outraged. But I just dont understand the logic. So the goal of bringing McCown in on a 1 year deal is to NOT make the team better in that 1 year? That was the goal?

Petty shows people nothing. I get it. I disagree, but I get it. I think when you draft QB's with the intent to groom them into the role, to develop them as QB's and football players, you should do exactly that. You dont dump a player after 2 years that has shown growth. I agree if he doesnt make strides in year 3 the Jets should look elsewhere, but I think its premature to determine this now, before OTA's. Petty has seen live fire. He now knows what its like to play professional QB in the NFL. How does he respond to that? Does he develop happy feet and rush his decisions, thinking of the hits he took vs Mia and NE? Or does the game slow down for him, and he now is able to see the field more clearly and make good decisions? Anybody who says they know the answer is bullshitting.

15. BroadwayAaron

Yes. This isn't a crazy concept. There's a reason everyone from ESPN to NFL Network to the Post to... gasp... even Manish is saying this was the right move.

And it wasn't THE goal. I never said it was. Its a part of the goal. I said what the goal was you just ignored it.

TwoHeadedMonster and Jets_Grinch like this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is a great move. For those that do not think most have no idea about football. If you are bringing on young guys you need a vet in the QB room. Do you think Petty will be bale to help Hack vice versa?

Mccown will not cause waves and can play if need be good move.

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Idk how you could dislike the move. He is about the only QB, other than Daniel, who is not a serious contender to 100% start.

RuJFan likes this.
  18. PulseJet

Sorry if I ignored your other points. I just discounted them, as you discounted mine. Lets dissect:

You said, "If you want to give Petty and Hackenberg some time to adjust on the fly, having a guy like McCown here who can step in and play the first few games of the season and be a positive voice in the locker room is a good thing"

What does "adjust on the fly" mean in this case? If it means start Petty or Hack, and if they cant get the offense going insert McCown and have them sit and watch, there is some validity in that. But you dont pay someone $6 million to do that. The downside is if Bowles pencils McCown in at QB1 (you know he will) that means Petty (or draftee) and Hack are training with the twos. Again.

"Positive voice in the locker room" So $6 million for a cheerleader? A QB coach? Do Petty and Hack have negative voices? What are they paying the QB coach for then? But at least he's not Cutler!

Basically your paying McCown a premium because he's mediocre and will not make waves when he's benched. Terrific.

19. PulseJet

Yeah when McCown gets the first team reps and starts the first 6 games and the Jets are 0-6 and Bowles is stubborn and wont put in Hack or Petty because McCown gives the Jets the "best chance to win" will you still think its a good move?

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Bowles is not sitting there wanting Josh Freakin McCown to be a starter here. Cmon. If anything, he'd want a Jay Cutler, Someone who could actually make the Jets viable to win more than 2-3 games possibly. McCown is here to mentor and be a stopgap for Petty and moreso Hack.