Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Yes. Good enough to be the #3 pick in this years' draft? Not in my opinion. The Vikings look like they agree.

2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

If we’re going to ignore film/workouts/overall ability/talent and just use stats to say Mayfield = Keenum, then we must also apply the same logic to Allen = Hackenberg.

I don’t know if you are an Allen person or not, but most tend to de-emphasize / ignore his performance on the field and instead look at his highlight throws + workouts to judge.

Pro Mayfield people have more to fall back on - film + workouts. The kid has good arm talent and isn’t just a product of a spread offense.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not in my opinion either. But I didn't compare him to Mayfield. My point is NFL teams would have done well to look at Keenum's college production before they all passed on him.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Where did Eli get drafted and where did Rivers and Roethlisberger get drafted? No. 1 is No. 1 and number 4 and 12 isn't 2 and 3. You see what I'm getting at. He sure as shit was.

FJF likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well imagine that. According to Metha's latest report, the Jets still don't have consensus on the QB ranking. Apparently they have significant concerns about Mayfield height.
    That damned well makes it official in my eyes. Baker is our guy at three folks. After all, what are the odds Metha for once has solid info from the Jets?

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm a "don't trade up from #6 to #3, none of these QBs are good enough" person. I already lost--so I have the freedom now to support/criticize whichever guy they pick. I want the Jets' pick to succeed, and the Bills/Pats/Phins pick to fail.

I didn't compare Mayfield to Keenum--I used Keenum as an illustration that NCAA records have little predictive power in the NFL, despite what some posters would have us all believe.

stinkyB, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

FWIW, I don't really know or care if the Jets decide to draft Mayfield at 3, over Rosen or whomever. When his playing time evolves and he proves he is the real deal, and a legit FQB, we will all laud he pick.

8. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Listening to Sirius XM radio this morning talking about the QBs and they had an x QB on there (sorry it was early and I don't remember who it was, but it was an x-NFL longtime backup) and he was discussing Allen. To summarize, he basically said after watching all his tape he cant remember seeing a potential top 10 QB struggle more with basic protections and adjustments at the college level. He was saying Allen struggled with regular Sam backer blitzes (nothing exotic) constantly and remembers seeing the same from Josh Freeman when he analyzed him. Said he really struglgles processing very basic concepts pre-snap and thinks he will struggle a lot in the NFL.

I'm just sharing info so don't peg me as an anti Allen guy or anything just thought it was interesting.

For the record so you don't have to question why I posted this, I like the 4 QBs in this order:
    Darnold
    Mayfield
    Allen
    Rosen

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Geno is in the same league as him. Sorry. Look at their college career and tell us who Geno's numbers, the same, aren't really the same. As for all the one of the most decorated, all these 1st round QBs are. He's the 4th rated NFL prospect at his position.

You guys love comparing Mayfield to others totally based on numbers. You don't take anything other than stats into account. Well it goes both ways. Geno's numbers were Mayfield's like but you don't want them compared. Got it.

10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So where you get drafted by a team means ask agreed? So if the Browns draft Allen number 1 he'll become the clear cut number 1 best QB in everyone's eyes?

Jets69 likes this.
  11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I can't speak for anyone else but I view metrics as supporting what you see when you watch. IE if you watch a player, then look at the numbers and they don't line up, then you need to go back and review what you were looking at to understand context. Metrics = context. Context is important.

Also, I'd love to hear a side by side comparison as to what Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield think leadership means. I have a pretty strong feeling I know the answer from at least one of them...

[​IMG]

EDIT: No shit, Baker Mayfield has actually given his thoughts on leadership:

http://soonersports.com/fls/31000/microsites/SignatureSeries/mayfield_my_purpose.html

Noam, Brook!, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you say that. The only thing close IS the stats, and that's only if you omit the running stats. My argument was more about leadership, confidence and winning the Heisman. Geno fell because nobody trusted he could lead a team. I'm pretty sure he even whined about not going to the draft because he wasn't picked day 1. He had a loser attitude from the beginning.

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

#833 Sam Hammer, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    xxedge72x likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

"Geno Smith Punch-Out!!".

xxedge72x likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If there are 2 to 3 QB's who go in the top 3 you can make an argument that he is only no. 1 on the Browns Board. Eli went 1. Rivers went 4 and Ben went 12. There's a difference. Between 1 2, 4 and 12. If Cleveland drafts Allen 1, I'll be very happy we get Darnold or Rosen.

joe likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Is Allen THAT popular????

We find out draft day I suppose

But take heart Jet fans WE ARE GETTING A QB...FINALLY after 9. f&$@-/: years of basically sh@t pickings

I let that thought sink in EVERY day till DRAFT a day..and I am finally smiling!!!

Take heart ladies and gents the Football Gods favor us despite Blowes and Pushing for meaningless wins last season...semi tank better than no full tank like the Giants figured out how to do..ahaha

This draft imo is gonna go Darnold Rosen and BAKER M TO JETS!!!

And BTW .....Baker WILL PROVE IT ON THE FIELD AND SILENCE THE HATERS...kids done it all his life and my money's on him

If he were a clone of dumb as rocks Geno I would never be plugging him

#836 NYJetsO12, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Solid has been benched 3 days for his continued attacks on posters who doesn’t agree with him.

Solid

I praised you many times for bringing depth to discussions. But I see that you keep disrespecting posters constantly. Pennyandthejets didn’t even provoke you. No he isn’t a dick. Stop calling people names. Period.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OMG!!! I've heard it all now! Dude that is one of the craziest comments I've ever seen on the internet. You couldn't be more wrong.

Your second bolded statment is a flat out lie.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. I'm beginning to believe that the loose translation to "no consensus" is that Mac wants Rosen/Allen & Bowles wants Mayfield. But what maybe most important is who Jeremy bates wants & can't believe im saying this but to some extent Chris Johnson. This is "His" franchise present day..Folks may mock this & perhaps even disagree but the stakes could not be higher for this pick. This is the future face of your franchise which affects every aspect of the franchise.If it's a totally split room Scouts on down I would expect a competent owner like the Mara's or Rooney's to be the tie breaker. Chris is on record saying he will spend time w. the prospects on player visits. It should be noted that when Mac got hired Woody said he wanted a FQB with a big arm. Food for thought.

Jets have put a TON of time into Allen. No team followed him more closely during this past season. You gotta believe if his scouts feel good about him after all the time invested Mac would lean in that direction as that closer fits his prototype for a QB.Of course there's an argument for going the absolute opposite of your prototype after acouple swings & misses. That's where I think Bowles comes in. I think he likes Mayfield's personality & sees the upside of having he & Adams as the 2 alphas. What I do wonder however is Bowles isn't exactly the most forgiving of a young QB w. things to work on...and even if Mayfield is a home run pick he will have alot of things to address to get to 1st string level. If he's sloppy early in TC which I would expect him to be does he gets in Bowles dog house & become the next Hack?? Bowles may need to look in the mirror on this one.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The thing about the QB position is that is so much more than completing passes and taking snaps from under center or rolling out or whatever. Leadership matters. Buy in matters. Not coach buy in, but teammate buy in. Bowles is a former player, he is well aware of what respect looks like from a player perspective in a locker room. One QB could potentially be "better" than another, but if everyone hates him and loves the other guy, you're probably going to play the other guy unless the difference is stark. Quarterbacks don't get judged along with the rest of the positions because skill is only one element of the evaluation. Quarterbacks are force multipliers. A great leader makes the entire team better. It is sometimes the difference that can push a team over the top.

One thing we don't know is what the coaches and players see with Hackenberg in the locker room. What if he's actually improving his mechanics, but simply no one believes in him? I'm not saying this is happening, we have no idea. There is some reason Bowles doesn't want to bother with him. It is in his power not to bother with him. If Bowles loves Mayfield, it is because he understands what the presence means to the team. We already see it with Adams. With Mayfield you'd have a guy like that on both sides of the ball. Even if Mayfield isn't the greatest and bestest talent in this draft, he very well could still be the greatest leader coming out of this draft, and the guy who will act to elevate the entire offense, rather than just his position. It is a team sport, and the QB position has the greatest opportunity to impact the team rather than the spot. It is why this decision is so important.