Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post. I think for the very reasons you outline, people are going to be surprised at how he falls in the draft.

Like I said, I am rooting for him because it would be pretty cool if he ends up being good in the NFL but its definitely a risk and I would not be surprised if he falls on draft day because of that.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They are wide open because they are creating mismatches prior to the snap. Very little post reads in that offense. Sometimes you gotta put on your big boy pants and make big boy throws. Georgia effectively took him out of the game in the 2nd half. Not only was the play-calling conservative, it appears Mayfield doesn't have the ability to get the team in a better play.

I view Mayfield as a pretty good decision maker, he can throw on the run, keep his eyes down-field. He protects the football. But can I trust him to put together a 10 play 80 yard drive against a tough defense; where they don't give you anything? I just don't know, if he can on a snap by snap make the tough throws. I just don't see it nearly as much on tape. I need to watch the Ohio State game again, but I watched it like twice and Oklahoma does such a great job of creating mismatches, I don't know if Mayfield is really that good?

Mayfield's #s stand out against the rest no doubt about it, you can't find a quantitative stat that goes against Mayfield.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's easy to find passing lanes if you play on a team that has absolutely dominating players at most Offensive positions. The reality of the NFL he is going to have to change his arm angle all the time, find lanes and get jostled while trying to fit balls into much tighter windows. The question is when he is on the field against equal or better competition and is getting banged around by men instead of boys can he process and is he a good enough athlete to make all the arm adjustments, foot adjustments and throws to compensate. I think he can throw very accurate passes. A taller guy may well get more passes batted down but the positive about that is they don't have to change their arm motion all the time just to get the pass out. They can get jostled in the pocket and still throw over the top if they have a great arm.

Mayfield is deadly accurate. He had a loaded team that gave him great protection and created huge mismatches all over the field. He's height matters in the NFL. He's ability to keep his cool matters in the NFL. He's arm is good enough although the AFC East is has bad weather and no domes. It's a factor.

stinkyB and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I wonder who is taller Doug Flutie or Baker Mayfield lol

We can discuss this for hours.. what matters is what assessment Mac and Bates have made on these QBs..AND THAAAt assessment I am SURE factored in the Height BS everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over!!

TBH Macs decision making has been BAD with draft picks.. we have to HOPE that changes fast

The moves he made for the team with the move up to 3 and 2 FA QB signings seem a bit
    Confusing to me ..does he REAlly know what he’s doing ?? I heard a report that the Johnsons ordered him to draft a kid ..if THATS true it looks like Woody Woodrow HAVE a pulse heh But renting Josh M for 10 mil ..head scratching ..Teddy can be traded but way too much for JM

So getting to 3 with the possibility of getting the QB leftovers and NOT knowing who it will even be was a brilliant risk
    HOWEVER the FO /Bates/Bowles better be saying I can roll with ANY of the Top 3 to have it make good sense for our future

Do I care about height ?? LMAO

JUST WIN BABY

#305 NYJetsO12, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Mayfield played well in the first half against Georgia. The second half started with Mayfield taking a knee to the ribcage:

I'm fairly sure he was playing the second half hurt. Even despite this he got them back into the game. He did not lose them the game. Georgia from top to bottom was the better team that day.

Again, Mayfield is a part of creating mismatches with his pre snap reads:

It would be one thing if it was all scripted, but with Mayfield he is constantly reading the defense and make adjustments.

The scheme he is in definitely helps him and other QBs that run it. It is imperative to see what these guys do under the cover. Mayfield is not your average QB running the air raid.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The bold is interesting because usually these type of drives come down to good decision making, taking what the defense gives, and being consistently accurate + sometimes the ability to improvise, scramble, make a big throw. As well as the ability to operate under pressure/all eyes on you. These all fall in Mayfield strengths.

Allen is the guy I’d be very nervous about in this situation because out of those 10 plays, 2-3 will be offline throws + he’s never really been asked to do this in college.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Can’t help but notice that receiver wasn’t wide open...

xxedge72x likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

I agree, you have to take what the defense gives you. If you aren't making many post snap reads, the defense will try and bait you into a bad throw. You still have to make great throws in tight windows, which has been the knock on Mayfield.

Allen might win you the game on 1 throw, but he could also lose you the game on 1 throw. Again I do question Allen's ability to anticipate a receiver being open.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What about that pass says I have an NFL arm? It shows Mayfield with enough protection to fully set his feet wind up and put his entire body into a throw to a guy in single coverage. In the NFL he isn't going to have 10 yards to step into a throw.

Pennington after shoulder surgery could make that throw. Every backup QB in the NFL could make that throw.

11. xxedge72x

I've posted others as well, not going to repost. Mayfield frequently displays pinpoint accuracy not just in getting it to the receiver but also placing it away from the defender and in stride with the receiver, allowing for chunks of YAC. To simply assign credit to the system is just entirely discrediting everything Mayfield does.

Edit: not accusing you of suggesting anything I was talking about, fyi.

12. 101GangGreen101

That hit took him out of the game completely for 2 quarters, that's my problem and the last drive in that game was as conservative as it gets. I thought the coaching staff really lost that game for the Sooners, but I thought Mayfield was far too conservative late in the game.

Mayfield is good before the snap as well, but what about adjusting and making plays after the snap. Lets look at Rosen in comparison. He makes these throws each and every game and I just dont see that in Mayfield. Rosen here, pressure and throw into tight window. These are the throws I am referring to. I feel like Mayfield would've taken a sack there.

I just don't see a lot of these throws:

These are tough throws to make, and those throws translate to the next level.

13. xxedge72x

Let me add to that:

In the video above, Rosen gets the TD, but in the NFL that is probably an interception. Rosen definitely is more of a gunslinger than Mayfield. If you prefer the gunslinger, then Rosen is the guy you want. Just keep in mind, one of the top criticisms of Rosen is his penchant for throwing interceptions on aggressive throws. You've shown examples where it works out well but it does tend to go against him as well. Mayfield is, as you've described, more conservative in that regard.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

ball placement, touch, arm strength, es-capability, ability to run, keeping eyes downfield, throwing into traffic

you don't see many QBs like that. If darnold and rosen are gone, I feel like we have to take a look at jackson even if it's a huge reach which it would be, becuase allen and mayfield are just as big of a reach at 3

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

That is a preference of mine, I do like a QB that is more aggressive and drives the ball down the field. Takes chances. Rosen has maybe an average deep ball, not great like Allen, Jackson might have a stronger arm too. Rosen is absolutely amazing short to intermediate, still can make the throws down the field, just needs work in that department. Finding an open receiver is great, but Rosen does a great job of going through progressions after the snap. Ultimately increases your chance for a big play. I think thats a knock on Rosen, knowing when to fight for another down.

Mayfield just doesn't suit my style really, maybe that is the true issue. He would be a great QB for the Saints.

16. 101GangGreen101

The dream is over. Not a chance the Jets take Lamar especially after trading up. I just hope he isn't in our division.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Define “dream”...

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I know he's a reach, but no more of a reach then allen or mayfield. i'm hoping the browns take allen, and the giants take rosen or barkley and we land darnold. that's the dream for me. but rosen or jackson would be a nice consolation prize. allen or mayfield would make me sick

19. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Bills are taking him if he is there at 12.

20. 101GangGreen101

hes the 3rd best QB in this draft after Darnold and Rosen. We could've had him at 6; and kept all of our 2nd round picks. I would EASILY take that over trading up for Mayfield, not even close.