Cards to Draft Kyler Murray with #1 pick?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AlexJETS, Jan 10, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I find this hard to believe.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You never know.

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It would be really dumb. Rosen's value is super low, why trade him and just get another prospect who could be just as ineffective? You gotta develop the guy you have. That team has plenty of holes, I bet they'd much rather trade down and try to get the offensive line fixed.

4. HomeoftheJets

If the Cards think Murray is a better QB than Rosen, it's a no-brainer.

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Preposterous.

6. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Would be a hell of a development if that were to happen, but I don't think there's a shot in hell.

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think it's not close to a sure thing, but also far from no chance. The biggest problem is Murray's height - he's not 6'0" Brees or 5'11" Wilson, he's 5'10" (and that's on the official OU web site, which means he's probably no more than 5'9 1/2"). That's Doug Flutie height, and that makes a difference, even in the modern NFL. I'm sure he'd go in the first round in any event, but #1 overall (with the financial commitment that would require) is pushing it. Would Arizona do it? I think there's a real possibility that they have lots of regrets about Rosen, and there's absolutely nothing in Kingsbury's resume that suggests he'd like to work with a drop back QB. It would only cost them $4 million on the cap to trade him before June 1st, and would actually save money on the cap to trade him after June 1st.

As I noted in the Kingsbury thread, if this happened it could work out very well for the Jets in terms of the draft. Cardinals take Murray, trade Rosen to Jacksonville (Coughlin certainly knows something about winning with a stay-in-the-pocket quarterback), Niners then get an incredible haul from the desperate Giants or Dolphins for the chance to draft Haskins, and Bosa falls to the Jets. That would make all five teams involved considerably better (assuming Murray, Rosen, Haskins, the Niners drafting, and Bosa work out, of course).

#8 statjeff22, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. Sam Hammer

It's never a no-brainer when QB prospects are involved. Murray could never see the field, while Rosen already has a year under his belt at the NFL level. Don't forget Rosen was said to be the the most NFL ready QB in last year's class, so to make that even worthwhile, it would need to be obvious that Murray is a higher rated prospect than Rosen was considered last year.

Trade Rosen now, they basically wasted last year's first round pick and most likely won't even get a 1st in return, plus Rosen could still work out. It doesn't make much sense at all. If this guy were the next Andrew Luck I could see it, but he's not.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

If the Cards prefer Murray to Rosen, the Rosen pick and last season are sunk costs. So what matters isn't how they viewed Rosen a year ago, what matters is how they view him now compared to how they view Murray now. And the whole Rosen being NFL ready thing was obviously wrong, the only NFL ready prospect in the class was Mayfield.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  10. Sam Hammer

As much as I hope you are right, for the Jets' sake, I don't see how anybody can compare a guy that has never played a snap on the NFL level to a guy that has a year experience. Rosen played on the team with the worst oline in the league, they make our oline look great in comparison. Darnold would have been almost as bad as Rosen with that oline, maybe not AS bad because he's more mobile.

Now, the mobility thing could trigger Arizona to do something like that, but I feel it could backfire on them big time if it doesn't work out, plus is Murray really worth a #1 overall pick? Failing on a first round pick (or 2 in a row)can set the team back several years. Instead of calling it a loss and drafting a new QB, they should try to get Rosen some protection, IMO.

Again, I really hope you are correct, because Bosa/Allen would be nice for the Jets.

#11 Sam Hammer, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Red Menace likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Cards GM is running the show with the owner. KK was brought in to fix Rosen. That said if the Giants or another top 10 drafting team makes the offer for Rosen and the owner sides with KK it could happen. The Cardinals will get at least what they gave up to get Rosen if they trade Rosen at all.

Rosen didn't do anything to hurt his stock. The Cardinals were that dysfunctional last year.

12. I floated this to my Giants buddies & they were all for giving up #6 for Rosen..not sure if it were the jets id say the same but worth noting nonetheless

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That would be best case scenario imo, as Rosen is gonna be a straight up bust.
    His skill set and personality is just not right for the NFL.

I'd love for the blame game to continue with the Giants, constantly blaming the Oline, and firing coach after coach as the Rosen excuses continue to mount just like the Eli excuses have been.
    As an added bonus, Darnold doing well will just be the twisting of the knife for the Maras.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Kyle Murray official has entered the NFL draft and put baseball behind him. The draft is going to be fun.

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He's not going early, The Pats are going to trade up 4 or 5 spots and take him.

16. HomeoftheJets

We'd better hope they don't. That means Belichick wants to stick around post-Brady, and with Murray they'll continue to dominate. Murray may still be a bust but not if Belichick's coaching.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Murray is looking to leveredge his interest in NFL so he gets a Major League Contract for Baseball

He's playing his Options

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So the P*ts still drafting players means B*lich*ck is going to coach forever and no one the P*ts draft will ever be a bust?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

HomeoftheJets and stinkyB like this.