Can someone please tell me how the Redskins have so much money

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jets18, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

One thing that I just don't understand is how the Redskins have so much money. For the last couple of years they have signed everyone, and they still suck but we already knew that. I just can't believe they never go over the cap.

2. jcjet

jcjet Member

I was thinking the same thing. i think it's b/c they give so much in bonuses

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

it is, if anyone would flourish without the salary cap it would be the skins. with snyder becoming steinbrenner.

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

but they make stupid moves -- their D is already solid Archuletta does nothing for them -- he isn't anything special, trading for brandon lloyd and then siging El -- what was the point of that?? pay El huge money to be a gadget player that gets 20 passes a year??? they don't seem to have any idea of what to do they just buy everyone

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Because the owners and players let him off the hook by ratifying the CBA and raising the cap not only this year but next as well.

As tough as things would've been for the Jets without a CBA, it would've been a pleasure to watch Snyder have to cut 80% of his roster. The weasel will never have his feet to the fire because the league will just keep raising the bar and we the fans will keep being bled to death.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

They way these contracts work in the first year the the cap number is really low and so they give out these big contracts and worry about the cap next year. While Randel El gets a $30 million contact with 11.5 guareenteed his cap number in year one is probably under $3 million. Of course the first 3 years salary has to equal the signing bonus. Either way giving out these big contracts only hurts you down the line when you have to keep restructuring.

7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

8. lude

lude New Member

Hahah, that took me a second.

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Scout.com > Washington
    Wide Open Spaces: Skins Can Get $18M Under
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Large
    WarpathInsiders.com Mar 9, 2006

Some 48 hours after being on the brink of being very limited in the free agent market, the Redskins are breathing much easier. Thanks to the CBA extension, with a few simple moves and player releases, the Redskins will be able to create plenty of cap space to fill their needs. Our resident Capologist looks at the potential moves and adds up the savings.

In Joe Gibbs own words “We (the Redskins) are very aggressive in free agency”. With the chances of an extension to the CBA looking in the balance for the last week, the Redskins could have been looking at an offseason of restraint instead of aggressive buying. However, when the owners agreed to the last obstacle in the way of a new labor agreement - a revenue sharing deal – on Wednesday evening, the Redskins were back in an “aggressive mood”.

With the new labor agreement now in place, the restrictions of the 30 percent rule and the prorating of bonus monies for only 4 years are washed away, so the Redskins can look at creating cap space to be an active player if free agency.

The first order of business is getting under the new cap limit for 2006 which has been set at $102.0m and we will start at the figure of $115.5m. Three occurrences have helped the Skins already without having to barely raise a finger:

The mutually agreed release of LaVar Arrington and his killer contract (saving nearly $4.3m off his previous cap figure)
    The automatic spreading of option bonuses due in 2006 over the next 5 years instead of 4 (for those players who will have 5+ years left on their contracts after the options are exercised), saving $1.2m. The players involved Santana Moss ([BODY].350m savings), Chris Samuels ([BODY].350m), Casey Rabach ([BODY].1m) and Carlos Rogers ([BODY].4m), and
    The automatic voiding of likely to be earned (LTBE) incentive clauses tied to “no new CBA” in the contracts of Samuels ($3.5m), David Patten ([BODY].6m), Rabach ($1.6m) and Renaldo Wynn (0.4m), totalling $6.0m in savings.
    The team has also tendered offers to three of its restricted free agents at the lower tender of [BODY].712m – Dockery, Jimoh and Chris Clemons.

Also the new CBA deal has increased base salaries across the board by $40,000 per player and this has a $1m impact on the Skins cap number.

This would leave the team at a cap figure of $105.4m, just $3.4m over the cap.

The Redskins also have 8 key players who have large roster bonuses due in 2006 (totalling $13.650m) that could be guaranteed and spread out over the remaining life of the contract or to 2010 if the tenure is longer. This move would result in a further $10.4m in savings for 2006, bringing the Redskins into cap compliance with $7m in cap space already created.

All this and the team has yet to cut or trade a player in the process.

So what other moves could assist in creating additional cap space and potential free agent dollars? Those likely to happen are the following:

Patrick Ramsey could be traded (saving $1.7m)
    Brandon Noble ($1.7m), Cory Raymer ($1.0m), Matt Bowen ($2.0m), Tom Tupa ([BODY].6m) and Walt Harris ($2.0m) will probably be released within the next 48 hours (saving $7.3m)
    Jon Jansen and Randy Thomas could undertake a basic 2006 base salary to bonus conversion restructure in thier contracts that could save a further $5.1m.
    If all these moves were made (allowing for replacement of released players under the Rule of 51), another $12.2m would be saved, pushing the projected cap number down to $18.2m below the NFL limit.

The Redskins may also be eligible for LTBE incentive cap credits carried over from 2005 would increase this gap even further.

So Washington has plenty of cap room to pursue its needs in free agency in 2006

2007 impact

At this point in time the Redskins have 51 players under contract in 2007 with Ladell Betts and Ethan Albright being the only notable UFA’s. These players currently count $93.730m – and that’s before any 2006 roster bonuses or other contract maniplutions are taken into account. The NFL salary cap in 2007 is predicted at around $109.0m. However, the new labor deal contains a mechanism to adjust the salary cap based on how much the teams collectively spend on player compensation. If the teams collectively spend more than the salary cap in a season -- which is possible since the cap is a flexible spending limit -- the cap would be automatically adjusted downward in subsequent seasons. If the teams collectively spend less than the salary cap in a season, the cap would be automatically adjusted upward in the future

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Story URL: http://redskins.scout.com/2/507127.html

Copyright © 2005 Scout.com and WarpathInsiders.com

10. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

They don't have that much money -- in fact they're about 5 mil OVER the cap. I have no idea what they're doing to be honest with you...

11. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

Nice research!!!

12. AlToon

AlToon Member

Peter King thinks the Skins are crazy

I think the Redskins are officially out of their minds. Washington dealt a third-round pick this year and a fourth next year to San Francisco for wideout Brandon Lloyd. This is Lloyd's NFL r?sum?: three seasons, 105 catches, 14.4 yards per catch, 13 touchdowns. He is a nice deep threat with good hands. But didn't the Redskins already have one of those guys in Santana Moss? In fact, by signing Antwaan Randle El on Sunday (what?!!!!!), the Redskins now have four of the same receiver at spots one through four on the wideout depth chart. Check this out:

Player Height Weight Age
    Brandon Lloyd 6-0 192 24
    Santana Moss 5-10 185 26
    David Patten 5-10 190 31
    Antwaan Randle El 5-10 192 26

I'm not saying you have to have receivers of different sizes and shapes, but with the exception of speed, the Redskins, over the last 12 months, have dealt for two receivers (Moss, Lloyd) and signed two others who all fit the same profile. Wouldn't someone on the staff there say, Hey, maybe it's a good idea to get a taller, more physical receiver to play against some of the moose we have at safety in this division, like Dallas' Roy Williams?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/03/13/mmqb/3.html

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This is an interesting find. I can't figure why Gibbs would be going this route. There is obvious over-loading at one position. Oh well, not my problem.

Recieving is not about pure speed.

14. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Well Roy Williams was made to look a fool by Moss during the Was-Dal game remember? Twice.

Maybe they plan on having just a bunch of fast guys speeding through the field like pinballs. Eventually one has to get open. Running it through my head, it looks fun.

15. Tight

Tight Active Member

Yeh. Until one of them has to go across the middle against williams. Running that through my head, also fun.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

haha, thats the thing though when one of em gets injured their big play threat wont be hurt.....theyll have 3 more

17. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

The sign big ass, high bonus, cap friendly deals to guys that take a lot of money out of their pocket.

:deadskins:

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

They charge a lot for parking. lol

:)

19. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Gibbs:"Dan, I think we need another weapon like Moss"
    Dan:"Okay Joe, whatever you need...I'll get it for ya"
    Gibbs:"Dan, make sure you get me quality players"
    Dan:"Sure Joe, whatever you say..."

Redskins trade for Brandon Lloyd and sign Randle-El. Now with 4 WR's playing virtually the same position, Washington has left alot of holes.

Gibbs: "DAN!, WTF are you thinking?"
    Dan: "If we gather up all the WR's in the league, we can actually win the Super Bowl by default!"....

20. curtisstaysforever28

but this is what pisses me off so much, with the exception of the skins, the browns and the ravens and the cards have gone out and signed players that are essential for their team. what have the jets done so far, absolutely nothing, wow we might get patrick ramsey, or holy moly, john kitna, he's wonderful. our defense needs improvement and for goodness' sake, we should try to pick up a CB or saftey