Buster Skrine

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, Oct 22, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Roberts IMO has been better than Skrine so if he were to replace Skrine I would be happy. The question is where is Justin Burris? I think he's in the dog house because he looked like garbage early in the season

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Watching Burris, I think he can be good on the outside, but I don't think he has the quickness to play the slot. I could be wrong.

Roberts might be an improvement, I don't know.

3. grkmanga31

Roberts has been impressive, he's no shutdown but he holds his own out there.

These stats are for Skrine yesterday per Pro Football Focus:
    37 snaps in coverage
    8 targets
    8 receptions
    122 yards
    3 touchdowns
    158.3 passer rating
    3 penalties

Skrine is pretty much the reason why we lost yesterday, which is crazy to say for a single player

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I whole-heartedly agree. I just don't know that his replacements will do any better.

That said, they sure can't do any worse, so give 'em a shot.

5. grkmanga31

Even if Roberts replaces Skrine, our secondary still isn't the greatest. Maye and Adams are obviously great additions and their positive impact has already been on display but they can't make a whole unit look good. Morris Claiborne is also a stud but Skrine is a huge weak spot. Gotta address that in the offseason

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Am I the only one to think that the problem lies deeper than Buster Skrine?

P.S. If you still don't get my point:

1. If you are in it, you still have a shot. [This is why you need to go up by 3 possessions or more whenever you can. Any solid D should be able to hold on to 2 possession lead, but since Jets D is anything but solid, you need something more than that - you need to demoralize the other team in any way or form.]

2. Did you guys look at the highlight reel penalties Jets D committed on nearly every Dolphags scoring drive early on?

3. Last, but not the least: how in the world did Matt Moore have the time to complete chunk yardage passes almost every time he chugged the ball? Maybe it wasn't Brady-esque, but did the Jets pass rush ever get to the QB to disrupt the timing or vision of the passes?

==============================================

Blaming Buster Skrine is an easy way out, but face it. This team is not talented. Even Leo and Wilk have regressed under the tutelage of Todd Bowles.

Last time I checked, Karl Dunbar is at Alabama - shouldn't we pry him out of there? We saw what he could do for our DLs when he spent the time here with Rex. Maybe this won't solve every problem, but our DLs WILL create pressure in due time with his guidance.

P.S. On a second thought: maybe DL coach is not the problem. Jets seem to have a capable DL coach in Robert Nunn already, no?

Maybe it is the head coach. I still remember the shock I experienced when I watched Chiefs D destroy Brady a couple of years ago, and then learned that the same D unit was masterminded by none other than Bob Sutton. [The favorite whipping boy during Mangini era. Yes. Jets D sucked because of Mangini. It's more than likely that Mangini even handcuffed Bob Sutton. So I am starting to think this is more a collaboration work of a disaster between Bowles and Rodgers.]

#46 Zach, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Only Bowles would keep him in. Half a dozen coaches have benched players mid game for getting exposed. Not Toilet Bowles.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

Buster Skrine was a huge liability out there but overall I agree with your assessment. He was not the only problem. Bowles is not a good HC. We have now seen the team lose 2 games they probably should have won and a lot of that has to do with Bowles, lack of adjustments and poor use of personnel and situational awareness.

Dissecting why the d-line is as ineffective is difficult because I think it's a mix of bad coaching and lack of putting players in the position to succeed. Furthermore, I think when you lose Harrison and also Sheldon Richardson, it's going to also take a toll on the other d-linemen and their production. More double teams will usually mean you get fewer opportunities to make an impact. That's not excusing it by any means but our d-line is just not getting it done and it's just ridiculous to think about how many 1st round picks we've invested on the defensive side of the ball only to be mediocre.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Solid day at the office

grkmanga31 likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Yes. I am starting to think that Bowles is but a minimally exceptional HC.
    2. That said - Mac's first big mistake is rearing up its ugly head. I am talking about the loss of Damon Harrison. In there I am in agreement with you. Without decent NT up the middle, your defense suffers. Regardless of the situation.
    3. I don't think loss of Richardson is that big - Leo needs to step up, but I don't see that happen.

Now - the DLs getting constantly doubled? That's the main premise of 3-4 fire zone blitz. If they are double-teamed as they claim, that should open broad avenues of attack, through which LB can come crashing in. Are we doing that? The answer is and emphatic NO. Darron Lee came flying in and rocked Cutler hard. It was beautiful to watch. Just - it was an edge rush.

So - this is my take on current Jets DL: they just suck. Jets NTs do not eat up blockers. I still have to hear how effective Casey Hampton was, or Vince Wilfork was in passing downs. [That NTs do not contribute in passing downs is but a complete and utter bullshit. If they are not doubled, they will collapse the pocket all by themselves. That means QB is flushed out of the pocket immediately after the snap. Think about that for a moment.] And now somehow Leo and Mo are not productive because they are constantly doubled? If that's the case, shouldn't we see more pressure from the LBs? [This is, again, NO.]

P.S. Last, but not the least: JJ Watt is always doubled. He still kills QBs. Bruce Smith was always doubled. AND he was undersized as 3-4 DE. He still killed QBs for lunch. Maybe being doubled all the time is not an optimal working condition, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I was joking, man.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He has been shit tier every game he's played outside.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Somewhere Kyle Wilson is saying how you like me now?

Big Cat likes this.
  14. boozer32

Make an adjustment? Bowles put his game plan together for this game 3 years ago. Submit starters, siing national anthem and then go to sleep for 4 hours.

CBG likes this.
  15. boozer32

Everyone in the world know Skrine can't play outside. You would think the so called professionals would know that too. Bowles and Rodgers need to go away. Amateur hour with these Jets.

16. boozer32

LOL

17. boozer32

I hope they put him in a garage next week. Where is Burris and even Williams would be a better choice than Skrine. Heck a waiver wire pick up off the street would be better.

18. boozer32

He was at his best (yeah I know best and Skrine should never be used together) when he was in the slot and Cromartie and Revis outside. That was the best he played. You would think Bowles and Rodgers would know that and revisit the tape of his play then. He is too small to make up with big receivers and his quickness in the slot should be utilized. Really not his fault he's out of position. The fault should be directed at the moron on the sideline.

19. grkmanga31

Agreed. being double teamed is not an excuse especially if you want to be known as elite. I think Mo played his best game all season and its no coincidence that it came after a week of a lot of criticism from the media. Players hear this kinda stuff and I'm sure Mo wanted to prove some wrong that he signed his contract and stopped playing hard. The key going forward is does the intensity and productivity continue? I'm going to guess no

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Skrine had a bad game but he's been solid for most of the year. You don't just bench a guy for one bad game. It happens. If you tally it up, there's a reason why Skrine has gotten most of the secondary snaps beside of Maye. ...He's doing something right besides his bad game yesterday.