Bridgewater traded to the Saints

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's better than three of the starting QB's in the AFC East. Still if the Jets want to go with Sam which is reasonable it's a good move to get something for him and move him out of the AFC. Teddy healthy is arguably better than the QB that won the SB last year and the QB that wasn't named Brady in the AFC finals last year.

2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Teddy was an insurance plan. If the draft had fallen differently, he might have stuck.
    But it seems as though Sam is the real deal and we needed to move on.
    Good luck to both Teddy and more importantly Sam.

FJF and westiedog1 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A lot? Seriously? Care to list them?
    That's also misleading because in preseason game 1 most starters at all positions only play one-two drives. They play a little more in the 2nd preseason game, and then usually the first half of the 3rd preseason game, and then not at all in the 4th. No team in their right mind is going to not start their starting 5 unless one of their starters is injured, or maybe they have some competition going on for a spot or two. If they have five set starters those guys are gonna play enough to get in sync. There also is not going to be that much difference in the offense or how the OL plays that Darnold has to play for them to gel for him.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

A few reasons I am OK with the Teddy trade for a #3. 1) he is a great story, but I feel a bit overated. 2)if we played poker and held out for a better pick it would have cost us more $ owed to Teddy. 3) we couldn't play Teddy in fear he gets injured or even comes up hobbling , then he will lose trade value. 4) if you hold him too long other teams will know that you need to unload him by trade deadline because he is on a 1 year rental. 5) It gives Mac more ammo if needed for a trade. ....... I AM GOOD WITH THE #3 PICK WE GOT FOR THE TRADE.

5. But thats my point.Injuries. Teams take the same approach as the jets.Get them healthy for week 1 above all else.As such we see all sorts of different OL combos.Id have to do some digging to get specfics but ive certainly seen it referenced this preseason & quite frequently since the new CBA..and it most certaily exands to most other positions.Additionally you yourself just said they only get 2-3 drives a gane together..so how mich gelling is really going on?Its pretty common place that in the current CBA where practice is limited & banged up incumbents get treated like thorobreds & that there is alot of gelling & acclimation going on the first 4 weeks of regular season

Further,im letting the OL gel blocking for Sam..which is a complete different animal than Mccown

Harpua likes this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think folks are underrating how good Teddy, healthy, is.

Love him but clearly Sam is the future and is the superior player but Teddy can and will win in this league.

I loved Penny and he got us within a cunt hair of the SB. Teddy is remarkably similar to Penny.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the evidence is clear based on the offers we received. You think if GB was trying to trade rodgers they wouldn't have a ton of teams calling them up and offering multiple 1st round picks?

not if you pay attention to supply and demand. you think GMs give players away for less then they are worth? you think teams wouldn't jump at the chance of landing a starting QB?

starting record means nothing. cousins is 26-30-1 as a starter yet multiple teams offered him around 30 mil a year fully guaranteed including the jets. Record doens't decide a players value in a team sport

taylor is better at this point then teddy. he's done more they have a similar skill set and similar talent level except taylor is not a health risk and has played and started 3 seasons in a row (including making the playoffs last year as a starter) while teddy hasn't completed a pass since 2015.

Teddy didn't take minn to the playoffs, he went along for the ride on a really good team. No QB takes his team to the playoffs with 14TDs and 9 INTs and less then 3300 yards

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

You need to take your Teddy hate glasses off.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

There is nothing impatient about it. This line has only replaced one player this offseason, needing time to gel is a weak excuse. They are not going to be much better at protecting the Qb in week 10 as they are now. There is no reason to not start our future at Qb, given the way he has played and the advanced traits he has shown. The only thing holding you back from agreeing is fear. Living scared is not how football is played.

FJF likes this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think you made a rational point by comparing what Aaron Rodgers, the best QB in the league, is worth to Bridgewater? Or are you rational enough to concede that you simply commited the logical fallacy argument to extreme?

The offers we received reflect that nobody needed Bridgewater as their starter, not that there is a collective opinion amongst GM’s that he isn’t a starting caliber QB. They could think he is a starter AND not want to trade for him because they are content with their starting QB. To use your example back at you, having Aaron Rodgers as their QB reflects that Green Bay doesn’t need Bridgewater as a starting QB — NOT that they don’t think he is a starting caliber QB. You simply can’t rationally draw your conclusion from your evidence.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I can’t criticize this move at all, Teddy is a good Pro QB, but at this stage and the question mark that is his health a 3rd round pick is as good as your going to get.

If he was going to be worth a 2nd then there is no way you trade him, any QB worth a second is not a QB you want to trade, you sign him and make him your starter unless he’s sitting behind an all time great.

That was not going to happen here, Darnold is the future and Mccown is rightfully the backup.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Very interesting take.........

I think Mac did fine getting the third rounder out of this trade. Nobody even knows for sure if Teddy's knee will hold up through the grind of a 16 game season. It wasn't exactly your average ACL tear....

Red Menace likes this.
  13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You're right - I also would rather have Dobbs or Glennon, but the poster was talking about draft pick value , from what I determined. . I didn't see any connection to comparing them with Dobbs. The value of TB should have been better than a 3rd - even a OL starter would have sufficed.

14. BomberJet

Think about what you just said, and think about what you were to do if you were in Mac's shoes.

If Mac traded TB for a 3rd, why wouldn't he jump for joy and do cartwheels if he would have gotten a 2nd for him? His mind was made up, and the reasons could be any thing having to do with getting what he can for him at this juncture, which of course I didn't agree with..

Red Menace likes this.
  15. BomberJet

Your reasons are justifiable though #3 there is no way of telling - who would have predict about Carson Wentz blowing out his knee?

But here's the kicker that most here just have not carefully considered:

1. Since that it's logical to assume that Bridgewater could possibly get hurt - (percentage of that happening ,unknown but safe to assume) then
    2. It could also be said that it is logical to assume that Darnold could get hurt. - (percentage of that happening unknown but safe to assume )
    3. Assuming that Darnold goes down for some apparent injury. and since TB is gone , McCown takes over.

Here's MY problem:

I would much rather be entertained , as a fan, to watching Teddy throw passes with the Jets having a better chance to win games than going
    through another boring un-eventful season with McCown -------- what Jets fan in his/her infinite wisdom would want other wise?

The fact that people use the excuse 'well what if TB gets hurt",??!? well WTF what if Darnold gets hurt !

And to top it all off - we have an OL that is pieced together for each passing game. ....oh what fun this is, lol.

16. Red Menace

I understand your perspective on this, I really do. I also believe the FO and CS decided pretty early what they wanted to see from Darnold and once they saw it the decision was clear to have him start.

The Jets probably felt they had two guys who were legitimate backups in Teddy and Mccown, that being the case, one of them had to go. I don’t think teams wanted a 10 year veteran with Mccowns history, they wanted a young QB with a much riskier but higher upside which Teddy is.

It was clear who was going to be the QB teams were inquiring about and I give credit to Mac for using the Ron Wolf philosophy of accumulating QBs with the hopes that they work out for your team either by playing or using them as chips to acquire quality draft picks.

In this case a 3rd round pick for a backup QB who is not going to unseat Brees is good in my book.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  17. BomberJet

I see your point as was the case with everyone being happy with what transpired.

But as I mentioned in another post, it is not going to be very a memorable time when or if Darnold goes down to an injury, whatever the length of time that is, and to see a 39yo ricketty old QB , that we all know what he is capable of, instead on of TB's caliber coming on to the field. Or even this other one , Hobbs or Gobbs or whatever. Mac cheated the fans out something that could have been entertaining. And for a third round pick that may not amount to anything.

And the way the concussion rule has been put into effect, that certainly increases the chances of having a QB getting benched much quicker.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Cousins is healthy. MN doesn't offer him a shit sandwich if TB didn't get hurt.

19. Red Menace

Personally I hate when teams hang on to 40 year old QBs, I do understand how nice it would have been to have a backup who is more than a body.

Having someone who is a starter and given the chance to start again gives the team more than a chance to keep games close into the third quarter but someone who can help win games.

BomberJet likes this.
  20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Manning did not have a good O line his first 5 seasons, not one Pro Bowl O lineman, in addition the first season he had no real receiving threat (Harrison missed a third of the season), yet he somehow survived and played his first 13 seasons without missing a game.

There have been so many other QBs that went to teams with bad O lines, and no top skill players. I mean that is how most got that top QB, because they were bad enough. Why don't we hear horror stories about them getting decapitated in their rookie seasons?