Breaking News: Jets have fired OC John Morton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I thought continuity with the offense and bringing back Mccown for a year would probably get this team to 8-8 and people thinking it was another step in the right direction..the silver lining here is they will most likely pick the wrong OC and the wrong veteran QB and everybody will be gone after next year.

2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Two wrongs do not make a right. You should have thought about that before you posted. The situation you are referring is unfortunate, but it does not make what I am talking about any less egregious........

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Obviously none of us have any idea, but I don't see this at all, especially if they promote Bates. I think that unless they bring in an established OC with very strong ideas about how to do things (like Haley) the philosophy is going to be determined by Bowles, and he has already explicitly stated that he wants it to be more conservative than it was. That to me implies bringing back McCown (who Bowles effusively praised all season) and maybe drafting a QB who would sit all year. In fact, if Bates is promoted I think it increases the chances that they won't draft a QB at #6, but will instead go for Barkley if they can get him.

Cman68 and BrowningNagle like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would be really very surprised if that happens. Pleasantly surprised as Arians knows his stuff but he retired out of concern for his health and family. Getting right back into the grind as an offensive coordinator would go against that

Red Menace and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you are probably right. I wrote that post forgetting that Bates was an option

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He was the best coordinator the Jets had since Toilet arrived. Can you name someone else that was better at their job than Morton? He got career numbers out J-Mc. A 38 year old bum who's legacy was being lousy except for this one single year. Kearse had career numbers, Anderson was a certified deep threat, when was the last time we saw that in JetsLand...Wesley Walker? Asked ASJ about his play this year and whether he will get more money this offseason. Morton wasn't perfect but he was better than Gailey who's offense took till the 3rd quarter to get going if at all.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Gailey in his 1st year was much better. Morton was not that great. He made a lit3of mistakes late in games thats cost this team, just ad much as any other aspect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

O-line is a glaring need, but Mac needs to do his due diligence, and not go with what Bowles is saying here. Remember, Mac needs to have the final say in how the roster improves. Bowles can have input of course, but Mac you deal the cards. If you find a QB, take the QB if you believe he's the right fit.

If there is a philosophical difference cause of the running game, then at that juncture Bowles would need to see the door. Every time I support Bowles, dude takes a literal shit on those who support him.

Better have a plan Bowles ...

#188 101GangGreen101, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is no one said those guys where kept on because of skin color, they should have been fired because they were just bad coaches.

We can't assume that's why Bowles is being kept on, that's an ignorant point of view to say it because of skin color.

It doesn't make any difference, he's going to be fired after this year. He's not a good HC.

We should no longer speak on this Maine. I don't want to get banned.

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That's still no excuse to abandon the run. Yes, in a rainy game like that you do run it for the sake of running it. Obviously you don't take away the pass completely, but having having such a lopsided ratio is probably why the run game was crap in the first place. Mccown had 2 fumbles that game. That was easily a game we could have won.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

28th offense in the league is overachieving? Man, our standards have gone down big time.

#191 Sam Hammer, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Holy smokes, just based on Morton's understanding that the TE is a viable offensive option warranted another year. Seriously though, he seemed to play to the strength of what he had to work with, which wasn't a lot. This "pass happy" line, if true, is ridiculous. The Jets O line wasn't opening holes with any consistency and the 3 backs are uninspiring at best. Powell is a nice piece, but Forte with his cement shoes and McGuire show promise and not much else - it's not like he had a Gurley or Fournette back there and wasn't using them...

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

If they get any more conservative they'll be going backwards towards their own goal line. This has the makings of the '01-'05 Jets with Herm as Head Coach and Hackett as OC (Heimerdinger for last year). We've seen this show before, it doesn't end well. As incompetent as Herm was leading the offensive philosophy Toilet is 100x worse.

Clear the decks there will be an entire new staff come this time next year.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Ultimately, the GM makes the personnel decision. Obviously this is in tandem with the HC, but we are in 2018 not the 1980's. A strong running game is great and all but no one wins exclusively on the ground. Maccagnan needs to address QB before anything else. I think we all want to have a great o-line but at this point everything pales in comparison versus QB.

Also, IMO, Bowles having 3 O coordinators in 4 seasons means that he cannot successfully identify good offensive coaching. That to me is troubling.

I'm also interested in seeing who actually becomes OC because it may clue us in on what direction we're going in for QB

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think what we're seeing is what happens when you hire a coordinator to become your HC for his first gig. Regardless of which side of ball he grew up on, he's going to have to come up to speed on the other side and that takes time. I think more time than most teams are willing to invest, which is why you see so many get fired and then if they're lucky some day they get another chance to be a HC and can apply the knowledge they learned in their first (or second) run. I don't see Bowles figuring this out before he gets fired, and the longer the Johnsons wait, the longer it will take to get winner here.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

AGREED. And I want you to know I appreciate the debate. We may not agree on everything but I like your approach to the game. It's unfortunate when I make a post and I get attacked on jetsfansunited. I didn't need to put up with that crap. They literally attacked me and I won't stand for it.

Look forward to more football debate............

Red Menace likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, can't always have an elite offensive line ... but this team needs a new center, at least let's start w/ that. It's all about balance. Vikings have technically had about 3 OCs since Zimmer, but that CS not only made better hires, they do a better job game-planning all around.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Our NEW Address:

One Jet Drive >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Bates Motel

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

mortons problem wasnt that he didnt call enough run plays, its that the run plays he did call showed little creativity. especially after the scripted plays at the beginning of games

i saw very few traps, counters, sweeps, read-options, etc ... it seemed like 4/5 runs were dives behind a weak center

the offense was largely terrible once the scripted plays were run. if bates had a big hand in preparing the game plan, then this isnt a big loss

if we had young QBs on the roster worth a damn, i would be chaffed by this move. as it stands, im meh

FJF likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why would Todd ask that question when he doesn't make adjustments himself? Is he even aware that he's allowed to make adjustments?

ColoradoContrails likes this.