BREAKING: Giants to start Geno Smith this Sunday

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by grkmanga31, Nov 28, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

"The Peterman Experiment", it sounds like one of those infectious disease or government mind control movies. Oh, and yeah, I'll be watching the Giants game Sunday. I need some cheering up.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I can see Eli being successful with the Jets, but I don't feel like the Jets are the best fit. We're certainly not a qb away from the Super Bowl.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I must say, the crying and wailing about this all over NY talk radio, national sports media, and the twitterverse strikes me as more than a little overwrought. Between the massive overrating of Eli as a quarterback (both career and especially now) and the outrage about how he's being so disrespected, it's all so annoying. What it's really all about is the utter contempt people have for Geno Smith, which is also over the top - while I doubt he's good enough for the Giants to want to keep him next year, his career is hardly much worse (or maybe any worse) than that of at least a half-dozen QBs who've been given starting jobs this year, and it's not particularly unreasonable for the Giants to want to see if they want to keep him as a backup/bridge-to-a-kid-starter in 2018).

In any event, Chuck Modiano must be very excited - we are at the dawn of discovering the next Drew Brees! (If you haven't seen the article I'm talking about, click here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...giants-backup-qb-geno-smith-article-1.3653113).

Section 336 likes this.
  4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I agree about Eli.
    I give him probs for beating the Pats and winning 2 Super Bowls - but let's keep it real.

Honest question -- Can you name a single point in his career, where you would call him a top 5 QB in the league?
    You might be hard pressed to find many instances where you would even name him in the top 10 in the league?

Doesn't make for a HOF QB in my book. He has had a good solid long injury free career but outside of winning the big one twice, the rest of his career is pretty much above average, but not stellar.
    He has led his team to the playoffs only 6 times (less than 1/2 the time).

I also agree about the contempt for Geno - I do not expect him to do anything at this point especially given the Giants situation, but keeping it real as a second rounder, he started 2 seasons -- compare that to some other 2nd round QBs the Jets have drafted.

#64 Section 336, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. statjeff22

That's funny - you've been reading my mind, since those questions are exactly what I've been saying to myself the last couple of days. And the answers are of course not (I have to believe that there is no one who thinks he was ever at any point a top 5 QB), and probably not (maybe there have been a few times where he would have been considered at the bottom of the top 10). To me he is a wonderful member of the Hall of Good-Sometimes Very Good-Always Durable, not the Hall of Fame. And that doesn't mean he wasn't a franchise quarterback, because most franchise QBs aren't good enough for the Hall of Fame either - they're just good enough to start for an extended period of time, not at all the same thing.

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This weekend, I expect Oakland to win by 4 clear safeties.

7. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

2011 is probably the easiest year to point to Eli and call him top 10, and you could maybe have a conversation about 2014/15 depending on how drunk you are. Other than that, agreed on all counts. The Giants are fools for thinking that benching him for Geno is any kind of improvement, or is going to solve any of their myriad problems (and watching them get torched in the media is always fun), but from the reactions you'd think they benched Unitas.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Some here crack me up. Who cares what the Giants do? Is laughable to think that they made a QB change to tank while they are tanking pretty well with Eli. They are on pace to draft ahead of us no matter what so what's all the worry about? The Giants are dysfunctional at this point, period, which is refreshing to see. Stop making it look like a genius plot by Mara to tank for a QB. Geno will win them a couple of games to piss everyone off.
    Jets on the other hand are playing their asses off and still believe the tooth fairy will bless us with the last wild card. We are not in a tanking mode so what the Giants do is irrelevant. We are in middle of nowhere mode. Embrace for an other defensive pick LOL.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Eli’s in the Hall. It’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Objective Greatness. He’s won the super bowl twice in his career, playing in the largest media market and beating the great Satan both times. He’s famous. He’s stamped himself into his era in the game as much as anyone, including his nimrod older brother.

Br4d likes this.
  10. statjeff22

He might very well get in, but that doesn't mean he deserves it.

slimjasi likes this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Bottom line and what the whole thing is about. That can never be taken away from him. So my guess is you're prolly gonna be right in the end.

Coughlin goes too and is definitely deserving.

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I happen to like Eli a lot, so him coming to the Jets could be sort of like when Vinnie came here. The Jets are not a QB away from the SB no matter which direction they go, so with Eli, the Jets could concentrate their draft and FA choices on getting him some weapons and OL talent. Remember, his brother went to another team about the same point in his career and won a SB. I've been a big advocate of drafting a QB this year, but with the prospect of Eli coming to the Jets, I could be persuaded to postpone that FQB search for a few more years.

13. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Grated talk radio & Giants msg boards aren't enough of a sample size for the pulse of the entire fan base. Though if we were only going by that this heart broken over Eli from some people seems kind of disingenuous. Feels like fans were calling for this to happen and now they are faking outrage.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Eli deserves the Hall of Fame in the same way that Joe Willie did. You cannot tell the story of the NFL during his career without mentioning him several times in the process for his very positive contributions to the sport.

Namath put the AFL on the map by beating the greatest team of his time in the biggest game of the AFL's history, leading to the confirmation of nascent merger plans in which the AFL was absorbed into the NFL. At the time that the Jets won SB III there were many who thought the merger was a mistake, with the KC Chiefs - the AFL's best team at the time losing two Super Bowls in a row to a much better GB Packer's team.

Eli was a two-time Super Bowl MVP who beat the best team of his era and the best QB of his era twice, spoiling a perfect 18-0 season by the Patriots in the process. He was the most visible player on a Giant's team that extended the franchise image as a championship contender on a year in and out basis.

Statistically he may not look like a Hall of Famer but the Hall of Fame is not just about statistics. It's also about who was famous in the game of football over a given era and Eli was undoubtedly one of the most famous players to play in the NFL over the course of his career. He wasn't just an asterisk on the career of his brother, he was a contributor to the NFL in one of the most highly visible positions in the league as long-time QB of one of the NFL's most storied franchises.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

During his tenure the Giants probably won as many games in spite of him as they did because of him. You never knew which Eli would show up on Sunday, especially in the last five years.

16. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

The Raiders lost the second championship game (Super Bowl II).

The Chiefs validated the Jets' victory with a win in SBIV.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'd would have no problem with Eli Manning becoming the Jets starting quarterback. The real question here, is would Eli be receptive to coming to the Jets? There are some obvious advantages to playing for the Jets. He doesn't have to move and he could build on his legacy more in NEW YORK than anywhere else. Imagine if he were to take the Jets to the Super Bowl, and especially if he does it while Tom Brady is still playing for the Patriots. Bottom line Eli is a Pat killer. At the end of the day, Eli has to want to be a Jet. I don't think the Giants will trade him somewhere without consulting him after everything he's done for thier franchise.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. westiedog1

Well said. Thank you.

19. westiedog1

Agree. I think he would relish the opportunity to come to the Jets and stick it to the Giants, media-wise. Especially, if the Giants draft a QB which they are in a unique position to do now. It might benefit the Giants, too, because other than the preseason, the Jets and Giants don't meet very often in the regular season. Nevertheless, I read somewhere that the Jets and Giants never trade, so there's that obstacle.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member