BPA is absurd

Discussion in 'Draft' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Williams was a very good pick but if we had a time machine, going back and taking Beasley would be the way to go.

2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

You guys basically covered it especially ncjetfan

If possible (which it rarely is) if the BPA is not a position of need (like say the BPA is a QB and Colts are on the clock) then you should try to trade down

The D line picks year after year may have been BPA, but they got us no playoff wins so far...

Common sense needs to prevail eventually

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, but imo, at that point, hopefully the GM has had conversations with other teams about possibly trading down, and will trade down rather than take another OT.

4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

As bad as I'd like to see Fournette on this team and if healthy, solidify the RB position for the next decade.

I also agree that moving back would be the best choice if offered. It may just come down to a situation where the Titans want the #12 & #33, and if we're willing to take the #12 & #52 (and maybe a later pick in 2018) they'll trade with us instead. It's not like the Titans are taking Mitchell.

May even still be in a position to get Adams or Hooker at #12 and grab Mixon at #52...

5. Vida

Vida Active Member

The other thing is you can also stack up on your assets and trade out players surplus to needs for a relatively known quantity.

6. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I think I remember Macc saying, prior to his first draft, that 1st round is strictly BPA and every other round considers both BPA and need.

He also talked about using need in player evaluations can improperly inflate a players grade.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

The problem with that is how often is one able to trade a first round pick and get that plus additional picks? More often, the player loses value due to injuries, character issues off-field, or poor play/production.

Injuries are a part of the game and depth is definitely a consideration, but imo a lesser one when one has as many holes as the Jets do. Not many teams can afford to have starter-quality depth at a position, especially a position that is not a critical play-making position. Having that kind of depth at DE in a 3-4 alignment is nothing short of insanity imo.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree with him completely there.

9. NCJetsfan

Yes, he did, and that's where I think he is wrong. While need can improperly inflate a player's grade, having multiple 1st round picks invested in a unit that isn't even the most important unit on the D while having inadequate starters at multiple positions is flat out stupid imo. It doesn't really improve the team, and one winds up with cap issues.

10. BrowningNagle

cap issues have little to do with the draft. players acquired in the draft are cheap

11. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Yes, they're cheap initially, but when a team is tight up against the cap and wants cap space for emergencies during the season, a half million dollars can be a lot. Also, their initial draft position can affect their second contract. I've seen it mentioned before in negotiations for second contracts.

12. BrowningNagle

seems like a fools errand to suggest ignoring a player's talent by looking at the implications of that player's second contract

13. NCJetsfan

I didn't say anything about ignoring a player's talent. I don't know what your problem is and don't care, but you obviously have one. On the occasions that you respond, you seem intent on just trying to make me look bad. There's obviously no respect there, so I'm done with you. I keep taking you off ignore, hoping that maybe you've become more mature and civil, but you haven't, so to hell with you. You're obviously just a jerk of the first order, and I'm done with you and your nonsense.

14. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

It worked pretty well with a DE/DT from USC named Leonard Williams...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

15. BrowningNagle

jeez snowflake..... simply debating football here don't get your panties ruffled up too much

16. BrowningNagle

had he not chosen BPA and landed Leo Williams, lets say he focused on need like the teams ahead of us, who do you think would've been the selection that year?

WR a need: Kevin White?
    edge rusher a need: Vic Beasley?
    an offensive lineman like Andrus Peat or Ereck Flowers?

as you can see some of them would've been bad picks some good.

Was Darron Lee Maccagnan's BPA last year?

17. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Personally I would've taken Will Fuller.... Remember at that time Enunwa was a huge question, Devin Smith was a huge disappointment, and We had Marshall, Decker and that was it.... We needed WR depth.... What a difference a year makes.... Our WR's look quite a bit different now

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

18. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

BPA should be a combination of talent and the value of the position, i.e QB>LT>... You take that combined value score, and select accordingly, breaking ties with team need.

Never underestimate the value of getting younger and cheaper at a position of strength. If Leo allows you to move on from Wilk or Richardson, freeing up cap to spend on FAs to fill needs, that works just as well as filling a need via the draft.

19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'll still take Williams considering one of our All-Pro DT's is a nutcase with one foot out the door, and the other has been a fat cat since signing his deal.

BPA is fine IF there's a clear difference. If someone's rated a 8.9 at one position you don't need and 8.8 at another you do and you take the 8.8 guy I can't exactly kill that though. But with Leonard Williams and arguably with Adams it was more of a difference than that.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is exactly what we have all #1 picks on defense and scrubs on offense. Its the most ridiculous thing ever. BPA is lazing scouting and drafting. I just can't wrap my head around their is not ONE BPA talent on offense in the last 3 years.