Bill O'Brien On Verge of Being Fired

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by boozer32, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Right.

Jets got more than their share of 12 men on the field on offense. [3, I recall?] When Petty got the start, he got 2. Jets had another before Petty got the start. I am sure that's on Petty too. Right. Because Petty sucks.

I think this Petty kid needs to go. He's so bad that he's fouling up everything - even when he's not playing.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree. If he becomes available he's a significant upgrade from Bowles

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I would like Bill O'Brien here as well.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why is he being fired when they have been in contention and he lost his star rookie qb?

Red Menace likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

it has nothing to do with on the field performance. O'Brien and the GM don't get along. Both are big personalities.

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  6. FJF

Ok, thanks. I’m guessing Mac has an idea on whether or not the can co exist. If they fire Bowles (which I doubt) and don’t go after him we can safely assume why

7. BrowningNagle

I would be surprised if Bowles is fired. I think a big question to find an answer to, however, is if Maccagnan even has the authority to fire Bowles or if that decision can only come from the owner's box.

in most (better) organizations the GM can make that call but Johnson's Jets do things a little wacky as we've seen over the years. I hope even if Bowles returns that these media guys ask that question of Mac and/or Johnson.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  8. FJF

Actually, patriots,Steelers,giants I think the packers and Seahawks too have the gm and coach both report to the owner .

BacktoQueens and The Waterboy like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

where are these rumors?

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This has been discussed before but many teams have a non linear set up with both the HC and GM reporting directly to the owner or head of football operations

Jets, Steelers, Phins, Texans, Chiefs, Chargers, Giants, Eagles, Skins, 49ers, Seahawks, Rams are just a few where the HC and GM both report to the owner or head of football operations. This was as of last year so one or 2 may have dropped off but others where it wasn't clear, that I didn't add may also belong on the list.

BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  11. FJF

The Texans huh? I guess its a familiar structure for Mac then. Maybe we can stop the whole Mac n Bowles are not working together narrative.

12. BrowningNagle

I question the structure claims you guys make of a lot those teams, but even if I didn't, we are arguing different things. reporting to, or being hired by, the owner is slightly different than giving the General Manager of Football Operations the authority to fire the football coach. Which was my question about the Jets. A lot of those teams, as evidenced by the moves they've made, DO give their GM this authority. I'm not sure the Jets do.

13. BrowningNagle

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

When another poster made the claim about the Jets being one of the few, I did some research and those were the ones I came up with. Of course there is no way to know which GMs or coaches have more pull with ownership but if they both report to the owner, I don't see a GM in that situation firing the HC and hoping the owner is ok with it.

FJF likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

Which teams? And even if a GM did come out and make an announcement it could have come from the owner.

A little old but here are a few, link has them all. https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/1/25/5343964/nfl-power-structures-who-really-runs-a-team

Houston Texans - A year of change this season with the hire of Bill O'Brien as head coach after eight seasons of Gary Kubiak at the helm. Executive Vice President of Football operations and GM Rick Smith has complete control of the roster and reports to Chief Operating Officer Cal McNair. O'Brien will likely also report to Cal McNair, who runs the day-to-day operations of the team as his father, owner Robert McNair, focuses on outside businesses.

Kansas City Chiefs - This past season was the first time the Head Coach was equal to the GM in the reporting structure, with Andy Reid and John Dorsey both answering directly to Chairman and CER Clark Hunt. Dorsey controls the 53-man roster, Reid controls the on-the-field football, and President Mark Donovan runs the business side of the team.

San Diego Chargers - GM Tom Telesco has full roster control, while he and Head Coach Mike McCoy both answer to President/Chairman Dean Spanos. John Spanos serves as the team's Executive Vice President of Football Operations, with Ed McGuire the Executive Vice President of Football Administration, both of whom also answer to Dean Spanos. A.G. Spanos runs the business side of the team, with both Dean and A.G. answer to their father, owner Alex Spanos.

San Francisco 49ers
    - Head Coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke report to owner Jed York. Baalke retains control of the 53-man roster, while Harbaugh makes the game day roster moves. Chief Operating Officer Paraag Marathe controls the team's salary cap and negotiating, receiving input from Baalke, but reporting to York.

Seattle Seahawks
    - Head Coach Pete Carroll has roster control, but GM John Schneider controls the draft and free agency. Both answer to owner Peter McLoughlin as the team's President with owner Paul Allen out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

I can't remember any job I had where I reported to someone, and another person who reported to the same person as I did, had the ability to fire me.

16. The Waterboy

And at the bottom of the article,

17. FJF

My guess would be if you report to the owner or coo of some sort the gm can’t fire you on his own volition. My guess also is if a reporter actually asked the awkward question on whether he has the authority to fire Bowles he would shut it down pretty quickly.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm specifically talking about 12 men on the field being called on the offense. Last week was the second and third times all season that happened. 12 men on the defense is a more common penalty, and it happens to all teams not just the Jets. 12 men on the offense shouldn't happen because the QB should notice if there are 6 skill position players before breaking the huddle / snapping the ball. If you want to talk about other communication penalties, that's a different discussion.

#58 HomeoftheJets, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Last week was the second and third times all season we were called for 12 men on the offense. http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/new-york-jets?year=2017&view=log

So McCown goes 13 games with one penalty and Petty gets two in one game. This is what happens when you put in a QB who's overwhelmed. He makes silly mistakes because he's thinking too many things at once.

#59 HomeoftheJets, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Did Tom Savage, or Trevor Simien or Deshone Kizer commit 12 men on the field penalty all season?