Big East to bite the dust? (rumor)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Barry the Baptist, Aug 11, 2011.

1. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

This is interesting. I don't see very many big name schools in that cooperative barring a few, but it could work out.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I can't see Uconn or L'ville being excited about it. If it happends they may go along but the first chance they get they will move to a better conference.

I can't see building up much conference unity or rivalry playing only a third of the teams each year. The BE worked because it created rivalries that lasted. how do you do that by playing once every 3 years.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Would someone please invite UConn, Rutgers and Louiville to leave the Big East so it can die already.

The two options are 1) Big East days and we still have conferences that make sense. 2) Big East somehow survives and has teams from all over the US.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I still think when it's all over Louisville ends up in the Big 12 with WVU and BYU, ND stays indy but leaves their other sports with the non football member BE schools and Uconn and Rutgers will end up together in the ACC and that'll be that. USF and Cinci will both go back to CUSA because honestly their nothing more then glorified CUSA programs anyway.

I saw the comments from the Rutgers AD and Greg Schiano and it sounds like they're trying to play hero and be the school that "attempts" to save the BE but in reality they have a plan but don't want to be the school that ends it all for them. Let the other schools look like the bad guy but we know we have a spot to land when things blow up.

5. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I was talking with a giants and st johns fan last night and he said what a different college landscape we would have if Wellington Mara was in charge of ND. So true, If like the giants did back in the day with the rest of the NFL ND agreed to share the football tv revenue with the BE none of this would have happend. That move by Mara made him richer because it help the NFL as a whole and he benefitted by result. ND could have done the same thing but refused and took a sweetheart deal instead and destroyed the BE. Think about it VT, BC, The U, Pitt and SU all left the BE because of ND. If the 6 were in the football conference none of this would be happening to the BE.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

ND never should have joined the BE in the 1st place and let's not forget the BE poached schools like VT from the A10.

7. Barry the Baptist

I think VaTech was in the Metro Conference with Florida St and South Carolina. ACC poached FSU, SEC poached South Carolina and VaTech went to the Big East. The rest of the schools merged with The Great Midwest and created CUSA.

8. Barry the Baptist

9. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

10. Barry the Baptist

Hopefully McConnell won't fight this and once Misery goes to the SEC officially Louisville will get an invite to the Big 12 as well. I then think Uconn will get that ACC invite and the Big East will be dead. My thinking is they could avoid the 27 month penalty should one more team leave because at that point 4 teams does not constitute a conference but I wonder how the basketball schools relate to that rule? My guess is they are loving collecting the exit fees and at this point want all of football to blow up so they have their own league and TV deal.

In other related news Central Florida granted their president permission to start looking at other conferences. If I was a UCF fan I'd have this guy's head on a stick if he made a move to Big East while the lifeboat to the sinking ship is sinking.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I would like to see the Big East football conference die at this point too.

Have you always lived in Italy? If so, I could see you liking the NFL, but college would be weird. Can you even watch NCAA games in Italy? I know you can get some NFL games, but there cannot be many college games shown over there unless you are watching them over some shitty stream on the internet.

12. RevisOfNazareth

Rumor mill - Louisville to the SEC.

13. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

They're going 16? Awww shit here it goes.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind I'm doing univeristy myself and would one day like to come in the US for a master degree :).
    That said I don't watch too many NCAA games but you can get online feeds for the big games and they're fun to watch.

I'm just rooting for NCAA football to evolve in a way that would make it natural for teams to shift from the bowl series crap to a play-off scenario... at least some intra-conference play-offs.

PS Big XII with 10 members and Big Ten with 12? Ironic...

#234 Mambo9, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  15. RevisOfNazareth

Its just a rumor. A lot of people are objecting to the idea of Missouri in the east when that makes no geographical sense. Lately my rumor sources have let me down but we'll see. I want this. Louisville plus maybe a team from either Carolina or Virginia.

16. GreenMachine

ok incarcerated bob

17. RevisOfNazareth

Incarcerated bob never gets it right. My sources for SEC football are 6 for 8 dating back to Alabama's probation (as long as I've known them). The 2 they were wrong about thus far have occurred this year.

18. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

19. Barry the Baptist

My guess is Cuse and Pitt are wtaching and waiting to see how this turns out, I've got this feeling that as soon as Missouri officially goes to the SEC Louisville and BYU will both get invites to the Big 12.

Notre Dame supposedly is waiting 30-60 to decide but we all know they'll be staying independent and keeping thier other sports with Gtown and Nova in the basketball version of the Big East. Once they decide I think the ACC will deal the deathblow to BE football by inviting Uconn and Rutgers.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's the best possible scenario... would be nice to see ND finally joining a conference in every sport but it won't happen this time around.

I wonder where Cincinnati will go...