Best center options?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ukjetsfan, Mar 13, 2019.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Now the Jets have failed to land a solid center in free agency, might they look to the draft to fill that hole? I will be looking at the usual draft previews, but I wanted to see if any of our resident draft experts had any input on this.

Is there a center in the draft that could be a decent starter from day one? Would we need to make do with a developmental project? And might one be available in the third round, or would we need to trade down and maybe pick up a second? (I'm assuiming the team won't spend a first-rounder on the position unless they pick up an extra one in a a trade somehow).

I'm not expecting another Mangold, but it would be good to know there are viable options!

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I've read the draft is deep at the C position but without a 2nd round pick it kinda puts us at a disadvantage

b.reyes16 and jilozzo like this.
  3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

They are deep. Most have the top five Centers going by end of round 3 or early 4. Appears top 3 will be gone by early 3rd rd. So yes not having 2nd pick hurt us. If we don’t trade down, we should still get a solid C at 3rd pick but may not be one of those top rated C.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I think whatever prospect that can swing between center and guard will be the better choice.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets could still sign a C in FA, and I think they should. Steven Wisniewski may be the best left or Sullivan of the Rams.

I don't know where others are getting that the C class is deep. I haven't read/seen anything to indicate that.

The three best centers in the draft are Garrett Bradbury on NC State, Elgton Jenkins of Miss. St., and Erik McCoy of Texas A&M. Bradbury is the consensus best C, although Jenkins was earlier. Bradbury is quicker and more athletic, but Jenkins is stronger and possibly more ready to start. He's #2. McCoy is rated #3 and I think he's a tier below them. After McCoy there's a pretty big drop off. I think Ross Pierschbacher of Alabama may be the next best C, but I think that's mostly because he played at Alabama. Most of the reports I've read on him don't seem to be very high on him.

I've seen projections that Bradbury could go towards the bottom of the 1st round, but probably more likely in the 2nd round. Jenkins could go 2nd round or maybe 3rd round. I think McCoy will probably go in the 3rd, but if Bradbury and Jenkins go earlier than expected, so will McCoy.

Aside from RB, I don't think you can count on any rookie being ready to start day one unless he's a high 1st round pick, and even with RBs, if they can't block and pick up blitzes, then they won't start.

I think only Jenkins and maybe Bradbury are capable of starting day one and playing at a pretty high level, but could be wrong.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Kalil for this year and drafting his replacement doesn’t sound that bad. If the rookie beats him out that’s great but at least you know you’d have a dependable center that can make line calls and not get Darnold killed up the middle.

7. NCJetsfan

Kalil for a year could get Sam seriously hurt. Kalil was pretty bad in Carolina. He's pretty much done. I think Kalil is responsible for Cam getting hurt, but may be mistaken about that. I want no part of Kalil.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He was ranked as the 16th best center by PFF last year which is smack down the middle. Btw Mitch Morse the highest paid C in the league was ranked 13th.

It’s not an ideal option but there aren’t any ideal options left. I think Kalil is by far the best option available.

9. NCJetsfan

I put little stock in what PFF says. I live in NC and saw Kalil play and read what the papers said about him. Just a few years ago, Kalil was the Panthers fair-haired boy, and was considered an integral part of their team. This year they had zero interest in re-signing him. That says a lot to me. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that one of the main reasons that Cam has been taking a lot of hits was Kalil.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Bradberry from NC State may be best C option.
    Keep an eye on Lindstrom from BC though. While he played G in college, he's being projected as a versatile C/G.

Bradberry projects as the better zone blocker fwiw.
    Still not exactly sure what Gase will look for in lineman.

ukjetsfan and b.reyes16 like this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He tends to run Zone blocking concepts, which benefit smaller more athletic lineman like Bradberry (whom I don't really like). This center class idoes not have a standout, but also does not have a ton of talent. There are a few guys who are draftable and may become starters, but not a single guy you point to and say he's a day one starter or potential all pro.

NCJetsfan, BacktoQueens and ukjetsfan like this.
  12. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Not that it's smart to bank on it but Center is one of the very few positions we have a shot to get a plug in and play starter with one of our third round picks. Also a position we might be able to get a solid starter for a late round pick.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not a fan of the smaller athletic lineman approach, but that's prob Gase's preference.

Generally any player you draft in the 3rd or later should not be expected to start day 1 tho.
    I'd like to see Mac bring in some vet competition for Harrison (maybe Wisniewski), and draft a C in round 3 (maybe Lindstrom) to develop.

14. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm not super sad on missing out on Morse and Paradis, but I don't think we can go into the draft "needing" to draft a center. Mac has to at least sign someone to that position besides Harrison. We cannot be forced to trade up or reach on a prospect at any position.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This is our best course of action at this point. Lidstrom is a guard, never played center, and has a late frist early second grade so he's not really an option. Its more like an Elgton Jenkins or Ross Pierschbacher type will be around for our early third rounder.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Jenkins is around when we pick in round 3, I'd take him. From what I've read about him, he can start right away and be solid, but not spectacular.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wisniewski makes sense at this point... Seems like a competent, versatile player who can compete or provide depth. In addition, as others have said, using a 3rd on a C is ideal. I really hope they come away with at least two rookie offensive linemen from this class.

18. NCJetsfan

Versatility would be nice, but much more important is playing the center position well and being a good scheme fit.

19. NCJetsfan

I agree about not liking the smaller athletic lineman approach. I also agree that a 3rd round pick can't be expected to start day one, and that Mac needs to bring in another veteran C for competition.

I would be shocked if Lindstrom is still available in the 3rd round. He's pretty much a lock for the 2nd round, maybe even bottom of the 1st round.

20. NCJetsfan

The problem is Jenkins might not be around. Then we're stuck with McCoy or Pierschbacher, and neither may be any better than Harrison. If it's true that Gase wants smaller, lighter, more athletic OL then neither McCoy (315 lbs.) or Connor McGovern (323 lbs.) would be a fit. Even Pierschbacher is 309 pounds and Elgton Jenkins 310. Bradbury is the smallest C of the top 5 (300 lbs.).