Bears were who I thought they were

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BuddyRyans46, Jan 7, 2019.

1. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

As a fan you always want to believe your team is better than it actually is, and at times they make it really easy for you to do that (by, for instance, overachieving and winning 12 games in a really crappy division, lol).

....the defense was overrated, and the offense has SERIOUS ISSUES with it's lack of an ability to CONSISTENTLY move the football and put up points, and it has had them all year long. Parkey missing that kick was just the absurd icing on the cake.

I am sorry, but IF you are an ELITE DEFENSE, you do NOT give up a game winning drive to a mediocre backup QB like Nick Foles when your offense has finally given you the lead...all this supposedly elite defense had to do was generate ONE FINAL STOP with the season on the line, and they played like dogs. If you are an ELITE DEFENSE, you FIND A WAY to stop that shitty QB and that shitty team from driving down the field on you to retake the lead when then entire season is on the line. Bottom line...this was a good defense, but it was far from a DOMINANT/ELITE/HISTORIC DEFENSE which all of us desperately wanted to believe it was. Forget about comparing them to the greatest defense of all-time, the '85 Bears, they don't even compare to defenses like the Legion of Boom, and I personally detested those jerk-offs.

Also, this offense had better wake up next year. If Nagy is the offensive/playcalling genius we all want to believe he is, he had damn well better find a way to field and offense that can CONSISTENTLY move the ball up and down the field at will on people, and which can average near 30 points a game..and I am not talking about relying on the defense to contribute scores to inflate that total. I am talking about the offense itself moving the ball and scoring consistently. Enough of this "offense looks like utter dogsh*t for 2-3 quarters, but then plays great and looks great for a quarter or a half and we all praise Nagy as the second coming of Bill Walsh/Don Coryell/Sid Gillman.

If this offense continues to look like inconsistent crap next year, then the problem is either Nagy is overrated as a playcaller/offensive genius, Trubisky is too limited to fully take advantage or Nagy's supposed genius, or a combination of the two. We can all praise Nagy as a phenomenal HC bc we won 12 games this year...but that defense (which again was far from historic or elite) was already in place with Fangio as DC and then added Mack and got career years from guys like Fuller and Jackson and Hicks. Nagy was brought in to coach up Trubisky and to actually give the Bears a high-scoring, wide open, exciting offense. We won this year by primarily relying on the defense, while hoping that the offense just limited its mistakes and didn't put the defense in a bad position, which is the boring way we have always had to win. Nagy was brought in to change that tired, cliche Chicago Bears win game 17-14 with 2 defensive touchdowns dynamic, and the jury is still out on whether or not he is going to prove capable of doing that.

Bottom line-we won 12 games in a really sh*itty division (Packers were a trainwreck all year, Lions suck and the Vikings were mediocre and one of the biggest disappointments in the league) with a good but far from elite defense and a mediocre, inconsistent offense. This team also lost to two utterly craptastic teams -Miami with Brock freakin' Osweiler at QB and New York. The fact that we lost at home to that dogsh*t Eagles team with their crappy QB (I don't give a rip what they have one, they were and he is the worst SB-winning team and QB in recent memory, just another mediocre team with a mediocre coach rewarded for their mediocrity in these mediocre times) proves that this Bears team was never as good as we all tried to convince ourselves it was to begin with.

Next year will show us whether or not Nagy and/or Trubisky are the real deal or whether or not this year was just another classic "Chicago Bears flash in the pan season."

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The biggest headscratcher in that game to me was Nagy not calling that first timeout when he should have...

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I guess it makes sense to have at least one timeout on offense when you get the ball back. However, you would be hard pressed to call an offensive play and execute it and have the clock dwindle down 40 seconds because of it.

4. stinkyB

Yes, I can see it that way too, especially if you planning for a "chunk play".... but I think in this case it didnt really work out

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Calm down Buddy and take a breath ..ahahahah I would gladly switch with the Bears..TBH

Dont forget Nagy got you a Playoff his first year plus he put together the last drive setting up the field goal the kid had partially blocked

Bears went toe to toe with Champs ..didnt think they were 6 point underdogs and certainly didnt play that way (they are hardly dogsh&t and Foles may take them very far..he already won a SB for them)

You have alot of great pieces in place..I think Nagy isnt perfect ..but definitely above average Coach

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I was amazingly impressed with the Bears yesterday. It was the first time under pressure I saw why the Bears drafted Trubisky. He's a big strong kid who made some really good throws in the clutch. The Bears D is elite and they are a good draft away from having a really good team that can compete for a long time.

The Eagles are a veteran team and Foles is a SB winning MVP. The Bears lost the game on special teams. Fixable.

Naggy didn't handle the clock well down the stretch but it didn't matter. Bears were ahead of schedule this year. Nice job by the Bears, horrible way to lose the game. The Eagles are a really good football team on both sides of the ball and they have been in these spots before.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, no worries, @BuddyRyans46. The Bears had a great year and clearly have a bright future. The Defense played pretty well yesterday. Held the Eagles to 16 points, and that included them scoring on 4th and Goal. The offense started slow, but Trubisky looked pretty good in the 2nd half. If not for the Parkey miss, you are headed to Los Angeles right now. Sucks for sure, but overall a great year with a bright future.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Bears are a young team with a good young coach. You weren't going to win the super bowl this year anyway. Things are looking up for the next few years, I hope you can appreciate that!

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

kind of wish the jets were in that position of losing a home WC card on a missed kick......or maybe not.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They're the defending Super Bowl champions. With Foles back in they're whole again.

You got a bad draw in round 1.

I know what it feels like to lose a playoff game because of a kicker. I'm still haunted by the Doug Brien game.

I won't lie to you and tell you you'll be back again next season. I'm not high on Trubisky and Howard.

Keep your chin up.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Eagles are the hottest team in the NFL right now and have very good defense as well. It's also Trubiski's first playoff game and it really could have gone either way. I wouldn't be upset losing with a last second FG miss to the defending champs. The team made huge progress this year and will be even better next year.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

After the shitshow the Jets have been since 2011, you expect to get sympathy from me, a Jets fan on a Jets board, because your 12-4 team lost a playoff game to the defending champs? Save your characters and count your blessings.

13. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

I know you are in that “rage quit mode” (as the video game kids say) But I think you are wrong about Foles, and are being a little hard on your team. Dude makes the kick, and you’ve knocked off the Super Bowl champs.

Foles is not a shitty back up QB. He’s been playing lights out in clutch time for over a year now.

Sucky way for your season to end, but you’ve got a good coach, and a good QB.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Can you imagine if the Jets lost a playoff game like that? This board would fucking implode

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I was wondering -----after the Eagles took the lead why on earth did they kick the ball to Cohen and not to the lady in the 3rd row in THE ENDZONE ?

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

After imploding we would call for the Jets to draft Nuge.

stinkyB likes this.
  17. stinkyB

HA, beat me to it, but did ANY fans actually like that pick?!?! I remember cussin' at the TV that day.... granted that's happened most draft days in my life

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets dont lose wildcard games in that fashion

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That was a great pick. We didn't blow a playoff game after we took Nuge. We went 6 and 10.

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Tarik Cohen having only four touches in the run game had me o_O .