Baker Mayfield Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

But wonder how he would fit the scheme of the Jets?!

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Comes across as biased - minimizing the shortcomings; maximizing his strengths. Maybe Mayfield is a potential FQB, and if they can't get Rosen, he might be a good pick late 1st round (trade down/trade up scenario) or early 2nd round. I do like guys with moxie and he has that. I haven't seen enough though - how's his arm strength?

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Mayfield has CFL written all over him. Wide open style (and playing field) there would suit his style well. Mayfield's problem is that he has a tendency (esp. when running around and extending the play) of passing up the open intermediate receiver (i.e. not taking what the defense gives him) in favor of forcing the "big play" home run. Gunslinger mentality with a gunslinger-lite arm. Entertaining player but cannot see him throwing outside the numbers in the NFL esp. in a cold weather setting.

#23 joe, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I'd like to see more opinions on his arm strength. My impression is he doesn't really have a canon for an arm, or impeccable touch. When you're a smaller QB who makes plays on the run in a spread offense, without exceptional other physical traits, I just worry generally. The ever elusive clutch factor is important as hell, but we've seen plenty of guys who seem to have that alone in college and just can't bring it to the next level. I also worry about potential off-the-field issues generally in NY more than I would in say, Jacksonville.

I think MM's article is on point in one aspect specifically - young or rookie QBs who are successful in the NFL need to have offenses that get tailored to their strengths in the early years. But IMO that'll be true if we end up with Rosen or Darnold just as much as with Mayfield. I do think scheme wise Morton's WCO is probably a better-fit for Mayfield than a lot of other NFL offenses; but 'he could work in the scheme' is more of a reason to potentially try him pick him up with say, the Seahawks pick than to chase him down.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've seen a number of Oklahoma games this season because I'm curious about him. The one talent that he has that can't be taught is pocket awareness and an uncanny ability to extend a play. The one QB I think of when I see him play is Fran Tarkenton. The way he moves around makes it very difficult for the defense to get a hand in his face which somewhat nullifies his height disadvantage, kind of like Wilson. The difference between him and a guy like DeShaun Watson, for example, is that when Watson takes off, it's to run, but when Mayfield takes off he's still looking for a open receiver. I think his arm strength is as good as any prospect I've seen this year.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Strong arm, but a lot of the times I feel like he's a really good college QB but not NFL material. I'm up and down about him

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just stickied this thread. Its now the Official Baker Mayfield thread!

westiedog1, xxedge72x and Red Menace like this.
  9. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Since we won't be in play for the top QB, get me Mayfield on the Jets.

He has the "it" factor.

NYJetsO12, westiedog1 and xxedge72x like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's looking good so far against Ok. St.

I like his fire and while he may be on the "small" side based on what the NFL criteria supposedly is, he's strong. And the plays they're calling are pretty complicated looking so that's encouraging.

Of course, even as I'm writing this, Mason Rudolph just tossed an absolute bomb for a huge gain!

Great game to be watching two QBs who might be available for the Jets.

NYJetsO12 and xxedge72x like this.
  11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Based on what I've seen to date I'd be thrilled to draft Mayfield. I actually think his skill set would work very well in Morton's system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This guy can play. We need to stop looking at guys who have all the measurable (Hackenberg) and start looking for guys who have a natural feel for the game (Watson).

Mayfield feels like the type of guy who will produce wherever you put him.

13. xxedge72x

I think a healthy view of measurables is to look at them as the floor rather than the ceiling. In other words, a good completion percentage alone won't make me target a QB, but a bad completion percentage will cause me to avoid the QB.

Edit: This would have allowed us to avoid Hackenberg.

Big Cat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. xxedge72x

Man Rudolph looks good too.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I didn't realize how good Mayfield is... wow

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. westiedog1

The game just ended Okla. 62, Okla. St. 52. What a shootout! Reminded me of the old AFL a little.

Mayfield 24-36 598 yds (new OU record) 5 TD's, 2 int
    Rudolph 28-54 448 yds, 5 TD's, 2 int.

Both QB's were sensational. Most entertaining football game I've seen in a long time.

#36 westiedog1, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ok guys ..stop demanding perfection from 2 college kids..his arm, his pocket presense yadayda..worries about fit to Jets system..ridiculous

IMO BOTH are pretty good ..however I give an edge to B Mayfield

Ask yourselves: did C Hackenberg or B Petty put on performance like tonight while they were at school???

What you see is a RAW TALENT which we need to SCOOP UP and stop blowing opportunities come Draft Day

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm starting to think Mayfield would be awesome in NY. He's a very exciting, and very adept and moving well in the pocket. He's learning and doing more pro concept stuff and is having one of his better seasons. The height thing many may hinder him but I think if the Jets pick even in the middle of the round, they should pull the trigger and get Mayfield.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do they not do defence in these leagues then ?

That is a hell of a score, entertaining for the crowd no doubt but you certainly wouldn't be looking to draft and D from that bunch surely ?

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. westiedog1

Right on! There was absolutely no defense in the first half. In fact both defenses would have been better off if they went to a local ale house. Halftime score was 38-38. For both teams it was either a long bomb, short pass taken to the house, or long run. They must have gotten a tongue lashing in the locker room because both defenses made some plays in the second half. Mayfield was sacked about four times. Rudolph had a fumble that was caught in mid-air near his own goal leading to a score and Mayfield a critical pick in the endzone that would have iced the game. Rudolph's stats are a little skewed because he had a lot of incompletes and a pick in desperation at the end of the game. Okla. State got the ball back down by 10 with less than a minute to go and you're thinking "that's plenty of time." That's the kind of game it was.

K'OB likes this.