Austin Seferian-Jenkins wants $7m per season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I think this all depends on how they view legget.

How old is ASJ? 23/24? Think he did enough last year to earn himself a living and got his career back on track.

Think at some point we have to pay a man, were swimming in cap space and why should we let a decent player go for more money when were devoid of real pass catching talent.

Until we get ourselves a premium player to catch the football what better option than to have 3-4 decent options.

More than happy to give him 2 years (12-14mill) 8 guaranteed. If it doesn't work out well we have a out in 2 years and if it does ASJ is young enough to hit FA and get a big deal.

Depends how our other FA hunting goes I guess.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Jets_Grinch and GasedAndConfused like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A rebuilding team doesn't need to be signing 31 year-old TEs.

MoProblems96 made an excellent point that ASJ can't help the routes that he is asked to run. They may not have run him on more long routes because the OL couldn't protect McCown that long. I'm not saying he's slow, but he's certainly slower than the WRs, and our OL is pretty bad.

3. NCJetsfan

Good post. Several posters have said that the Jets should let him sign elsewhere and just draft another TE or sign one in FA like it's so easy to do. As several others have pointed out, without a good QB, why should a good FA TE sign here? Why create another hole or take a step down and re-sign Gragg just when ASJ may be ready to break out? He's still young, and they could possibly structure the contract with incentives that are fairly easy to reach that would take his contract level to $7 million. He should be willing to bet on himself.

Also, just like outside FAs would want a premium to come play for the Jets and to live in the more expensive NY/NJ area, why should we expect our players to stay and play for a discount? Some guys do get too nuts with the money, acting like it's theirs.

With regards to Leggett, for all intents and purposes, he missed his entire rookie season. He didn't appear in a single game, probably missed well over half the practices, and we could have a somewhat different offense this year. While I really liked him at Clemson, he dropped to the 5th round for a reason, and has admitted that he can be lazy. Who knows if he'll be able to stay healthy and contribute this season? Even if he does, at what level will that be? I think that in their situation, the smart thing to do would be to re-sign ASJ as insurance, if nothing else. Tomlinson is a good blocker but not that great a receiver.

If the Jets aren't able to upgrade their OL in FA because players don't want to come here and can only add one or two OL in the draft (with one of them being a mid- or lower-round pick), whoever the Jets QB is will need a safety valve at TE. That will be even more true if Cousins signs elsewhere and the Jets draft a rookie. Pay the man.

egelband and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So for 4 seasons it is all on his OC? In his 4 seasons he has 1-100 yd game and 4 games over 50 yds. I would think his physical talent would have shown up some time in 4 seasons. Even his 100 yd game, the Bucs were down by 35 and the Titans were just playing loose.

Sure, some team may overpay him, that doesn't mean he is worth it.

5. In total agreement about that first part..not so sure about the second point about Robbie. While I’ve said to trade him or release him..the best thing for him as well as the Jets is to upgrade the WR & bury him on the depth chart till he proves he’s matured.

Hes cheap & can always use him 5 plays a game to run deep.He needs to be humbled & face his issues. If he doesn’t start to realize that then you cut bait.But for the price tag & upside I’d take the chance at opening his eyes rather then letting him run away from his problems by diverting the issues that plague him w a change of scenery.

Which sort of goes full circle w ASJ.Beyond his price tag/rate of return the 2 sides are vested in one another w ASJ’s personal redemption. That sort of story & positive energy can go a LONG way in building a culture. RA should be able to look at how ASJ cleaned up his act & mirror those type of changes in himself

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

Did I mention 22nd in 1st downs? It's been 4 seasons, are his coaches to blame for all 4 seasons of subpar play?

7. The Waterboy

So you think ASJ is top ten TE? Take a look at the TEs getting $6.5-$7.5M and try and tell me that is where he belongs.

TonyFtLaud and grkmanga31 like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Excellent points and post!

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

4 seasons with the jets? man where i have been LMAO

we all know the issues he had early in his career with injuries and drinking but he cleaned it up nicely for the jets. he was thrown to 74 times and caught 50 (66%) (plus had a couple of TDs overturned poorly) that's a very good percent. for instance jimmy g who was widely regarded as one of the best and making like 9 mil a year but people blame his production on seattle not knowing how to use them and he has a better QB in wilson was thrown to 98 times catching 57 (58%) gronk was thrown to 106 times catching 69 (65%) walker 111 catching 64 (57%) In other words he's catching the ball at a high rate and clearly getting open, he's just not good with YAC and we didn't use him very well

10. The Waterboy

Where did I say he was with the Jets for 4 seasons? I look at a players production his whole career, it's going to give a much clearer picture.

You have a different idea of "cleaned it up nicely", great he stopped drinking but that didn't help his production. And it is really laughable you comparing his catch percentage to guys like Gronk who actually make a difference in a game. Gee, Gronk only caught 58% of his passes to ASJ's 66%, how could he have ever had 1084 yards to ASJ's 357 yards. Neglecting the fact that Gronk usually has a top defender on him, sometimes doubled. Team actually game plan against Gronk, do you think they do that for ASJ? Absolutely not.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He's wasn't a problem off the field last year. That can change with one drink.
    You said we should pay him for turning his life around, not for his performance. I will have another beer, thanks for the offer.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

nobody is saying he is gronk level, my point was he catches the ball at a high rate for TEs, he also blocks well. that's all you can ask for. he has no control over his routes or poor QB play. In the right offense ASJ to me is a 600-800 yard TE with 10TD capability. which makes his a pretty good starter and pretty good starters make around 7mil for a TE.

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I really like him and I'm glad that he turned his life around, but teenaged girl W sign across my forehead. He'll always be remembered as the Jet who got screwed on 2 TDs by crooked refs, he's determined and clean, but not worth the price IMO. The Jets suck at this, but possibly they can work something reasonable out. My guess is that he's taking a long walk off a short plank, which I'm kind of OK with. I wish well him at any rate.

#93 jetophile, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  14. GasedAndConfused

Looks like the TE market is coming down

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...-on-a-six-year-contract-with-TE-Cameron-Brate
    On Monday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers reached an agreement with tight end Cameron Brate on a 6-year, 40.8-million contract with $18-million in guarantees, thereby avoiding testing the market as a restricted free agent, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Brate is having a storybook career. He found a spot on the Bucs practice squad in 2014, was cut by them the next season, spent a couple weeks on the Saints practice squad until being re-signed to Tampa Bay's 53-man roster in 2015.

Two years ago, he became the Bucs starting tight end after the team released troubled former second round pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Even though they used the No. 19 overall pick last year on tight end O.J. Howard, the Bucs still saw the value in locking up Brate through the 2023 season.

So roughly 6.8 per year for brate. looks like ASJ should be in the 6mil range

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

ASJ had a turnaround year, but he is by no means worth the $7 million. While I understand we have a lot of money, we just came off of a recent "rebuild" where we had to essentially cut all of Macagnans picks due to under-performance for their salary cap hit. Unless we get Cousins, there is no need to go on a spending spree if we aren't a complete team yet. Thats what we always done in the past and it always comes back to bite us in the ass.

16. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

What does the Brate 6.8 mil per deal do to ASJ's worth? Has ASJ said if it's the money or the time frame of the contract that is holding it up? 7 mil is more then fair in my opinion so i wonder if he wants a longer contract for stability.

17. GasedAndConfused

It's the latest TE deal signed and by all accounts brate has established being worth more then ASJ based on the last 2 years. If he wants 7 the 1st thing mac is doing is saying brate got 6.8 mil and has 14TDs and 1200+ yards in the past 2 seasons so you can't have more then him

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's both. He was offered 4 Million per year for 2 years. Per Reports. No idea if they are accurate. He is asking $7 million per year and longer term, per same reports. Today's report is 5.5 per year from Seattle. If true then obviously the issue isn't money.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

ASJ isn't worth what he wants. He may have been our best TE in the past couple years but paying him that is Stockholm Syndrome.

GasedAndConfused and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Nice player.... and in reality, his benefits all lie in potential
    He hasnt established a value of his demands, so I hope the JETS dont overpay.
    His benefit / risk is a doubled edged sword....+ 2nd contracts shouldnt be based on potential

GasedAndConfused and TonyFtLaud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.