Austin Safarian-Jenkins appreciation thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by oldrover, Oct 19, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think his overall point was to build in some additional incentives, where ASJ can earn more if his development continues.
    i agree with that.

looking back in this post, you and I were discussing a potential 6.5M annual number for ASJ.
    Based on how his entire season went, I think that may be too high now.
    But if he hits certain incentives, I wouldn't be against him achieving that number.

How to structure those incentives, I don't know, but it could be an interesting discussion.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Those were just sample numbers to show that an incentive-laden deal could work. He had 50 receptions this season in only 13 games. 35 receptions should be an easy target for him. Similarly, ASJ had 3 TDs this year, but should have had 2-3 more as he was robbed by the NFL on those catches. Thus, 7 TDs isn't out of the question.

As far as hitting both, those were just examples. Mac and ASJ's agent can work out the specific target numbers. My thinking is that the numbers should be pretty easy to hit, but should require some effort on his part as well to keep him improving

As far as hitting 50 receptions with 10 TDs, as I said earlier, he has already hit the 50 receptions number. I didn't do a lot of research to see what other TEs have done. 10 TDs may be too many, but it was just an example. If he could have had 6 this year with a mediocre QB, a first-year OC in Morton in only 13 games (and starting only 10), then I don't think that 10 is out of the question for a player with his talent. Still, it would certainly be a push. Perhaps the number would need to be only 7 or 8, but again 10 was just an example. It wasn't intended to be the perfect number.

egelband likes this.